Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2024, 10:50 PM   #46
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Thanks, and which Kindle model is this?
Possibly the Kindle 10th Gen mentioned in their details?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:24 PM   #47
Sumanuil
Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Sumanuil seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle (10th Generation)
Quote:
Thanks, and which Kindle model is this?
It's a 10th generation Kindle Basic. I got it refurbished, and the serial number indicates it was originally sold as the "Kids Edition" version.
Sumanuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2024, 03:50 PM   #48
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumanuil View Post
It's a 10th generation Kindle Basic. I got it refurbished, and the serial number indicates it was originally sold as the "Kids Edition" version.
Thanks, interesting. I hope the update has at least made it much less likely to recur in the future.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 10:41 PM   #49
kbullet
kbullet began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 11, Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
At least two reports have stated that the content is no longer in the directory that calibre sent it to. There is also a report in another online forum that all "liberated" KU content was removed—that person I'm somewhat lacking in sympathy for.

One possibility that I am curious about is since using Amazon to add the metadata to a file in calibre also adds the ASIN to the list of IDs and if calibre is sending the books to the device as a book and not as a document and the ASIN is being added as part of the updated metadata in the ebook, that a routine that checks for expired/deleted/returned content such as KU after a lengthy offline period is also removing those books since they would not match a book listed as current content by Amazon.

Since my Paperwhite is used more for viewing content as part of my editing/formatting workflow and not for reading (my Sage is my go-to reading device), I'm not that interested in testing this theory.
Mine's got wiped twice now (on 11th gen paperwhite 5.16.5). Once turning on wifi after a long period of being offline. Another one leaving wifi on 24/7. Never had such issues before using the older firmware that the kindle came with. All my sideloaded books are in KFX format.

Though my suspicion now maybe is something to do with Kindle's collections sync. All the books that were previously wiped they all were in a collection. Will test my theory and report back whether that's the case.
kbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 01:18 PM   #50
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbullet View Post
Mine's got wiped twice now (on 11th gen paperwhite 5.16.5). Once turning on wifi after a long period of being offline. Another one leaving wifi on 24/7. Never had such issues before using the older firmware that the kindle came with. All my sideloaded books are in KFX format.

Though my suspicion now maybe is something to do with Kindle's collections sync. All the books that were previously wiped they all were in a collection. Will test my theory and report back whether that's the case.
Updated my 11th generation paperwhite and it was wiped clean of all books.
I did expect this and was prepared. I can live with this update and like how it is working and Wifi will be off.

There is nothing like a clean fresh start.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2024, 02:41 PM   #51
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbullet View Post

All my books are sideloaded. All are from my Kobo, so epub converted. Most are KFX when the book was available on Amazon Canada, so with the correct identification. If not, I use Send to Kindle. My books are all in collections by genre. Wifi is always on. I had my kindles for like 6 months now. No problems so far.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:49 PM   #52
Freedomland
Enthusiast
Freedomland began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th Gen 2021
Has anyone else noticed that the System Font in Settings SHRANK with the new Firmware v5.16.6??? If you have vision issues..the Kindle PW 11th Gen is now ..well.. the usage has gotten worse. When Amazon implemented the new(current) GUI, the actual System Font shrunk then. Now to use the Settings Menu, while it's nicer not to have so many sub-menues, the Settings menu is almost unreadable!!! I actually Called Amazon Tech Help to complain.. but I have a feeling it will fall on deaf ears. It only took a full year and a half to get LIST on the Collections Tab.
Freedomland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:04 PM   #53
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomland View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the System Font in Settings SHRANK with the new Firmware v5.16.6??? If you have vision issues..the Kindle PW 11th Gen is now ..well.. the usage has gotten worse. When Amazon implemented the new(current) GUI, the actual System Font shrunk then. Now to use the Settings Menu, while it's nicer not to have so many sub-menues, the Settings menu is almost unreadable!!! I actually Called Amazon Tech Help to complain.. but I have a feeling it will fall on deaf ears. It only took a full year and a half to get LIST on the Collections Tab.
In Accessibility, there is a Layout Size setting. Setting it to Large should restore the previous size, or at least make it larger. It seems to apply to all of the 'system' text.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:12 AM   #54
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Is this only available for the larger screen sized Kindles? Cause on my 10th gen basic, there's no "Layout Size" under accessibility.

If so, that's kinda an iffy thing to not include it in their older devices.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:48 AM   #55
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
It's not under Accessibility, like you'd expect it to be, if we were talking about Windows, or any other OS. It's tucked under 'Device Options' —> 'Display Settings'.

Layout size is barely larger, and only effects a select few things. You'd really expect more on this front. Some UI fonts are very small on Scribe. It's a fairly large device, and can be used at greater distance from the eyes. I find current page and progress percentage fonts just right, but I really wouldn't mind options to have them larger, and smaller. Though, by Amazon standards, they'll increase all system fonts by 200% with no option to reverse that in the next update.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 01:55 PM   #56
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
It's not under Accessibility, like you'd expect it to be, if we were talking about Windows, or any other OS. It's tucked under 'Device Options' —> 'Display Settings'.

Layout size is barely larger, and only effects a select few things. You'd really expect more on this front. Some UI fonts are very small on Scribe. It's a fairly large device, and can be used at greater distance from the eyes. I find current page and progress percentage fonts just right, but I really wouldn't mind options to have them larger, and smaller. Though, by Amazon standards, they'll increase all system fonts by 200% with no option to reverse that in the next update.
It seems Layout size is a Scribe-only feature, and it is in Accessibility now. It affects all system text in Home/Library/Notebooks/More, but not anything in the reading UI.

But none of my Kindles (running 5.16.6) show Display Settings under Device options. Was that where it was with previous version?
Old 01-20-2024, 02:17 PM   #57
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I ran following experiment (on PW10 and PW11, both running 5.16.6, with Date and time set to Set automatically) with side loaded AZW3 book downloaded from Amazon, and one converted from ePub to AZW3 and KFX.

Airplane mode off.
  1. Side load with calibre
  2. Delete amazon-cover-bug folder
  3. Eject
  4. Manually sync
  5. Open and close book
  6. Lock screen shows cover image
  7. Amazon book shows Delete Permanently option, non-Amazon book does not.

This seems to demonstrate amazon-cover-bug hack is no longer needed to restore cover thumbnails after sync, at least with 10th generation and later Kindles with Date and time set to Set automatically.

(and reminder that you can also replace notebook/nbk files on Scribe without them reverting)

While it is not direct evidence that side-loaded content is no longer subject to spontaneous removal when Kindle syncs, it sure seems like that should be the case (even if you set 'UI time' manually, I think).
Old 01-20-2024, 03:38 PM   #58
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
It seems Layout size is a Scribe-only feature, and it is in Accessibility now. It affects all system text in Home/Library/Notebooks/More, but not anything in the reading UI.

But none of my Kindles (running 5.16.6) show Display Settings under Device options. Was that where it was with previous version?
Weird, you're right. I'm still on 5.16.5, for some reason.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:40 PM   #59
jackm8
Zealot

Quote:

In Scribe it's still in both menus. I just updated manually to 5.16.6 from 5.16.5, and double checked. In both versions the setting is in both menues. Under accessibility and under device options—display settings.

Btw, update instructions for updating manually are off on their site regarding Scribe:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...AE5G5UGCYA25DW
Quote:
1 Using a computer, download the file for your Kindle from Kindle E-Reader Software Updates.
2 Turn on your Kindle.
3 Connect your Kindle to your computer using the included charging cable.
4 Drag and drop the downloaded file from your computer onto the "Kindle" drive.
5 After the file has transferred successfully, eject the Kindle to disconnect your Kindle from your computer safely.
Note: For Kindle Scribe, use the Disconnect option displayed on screen.
6 Disconnect the charging cable from your Kindle and your computer.
7 On your Kindle home screen, tap the Menu icon, and then tap Settings.
8 Tap the Menu icon again, and then tap Update Your Kindle.
9 Tap OK to perform the update.
10 The message Your Kindle is Updating appears.
Up to 6. everything is ok, but there's no Menu icon on Scribes home screen, you need to go to more—settings, then tap three vertical spots for menu that has "update your kindle, restart, reset, and device info. It's also accessible from drop down menu, and going for 'all settings' there. I'd report it to them, but I've no idea where to find their customer support regarding this.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:51 PM   #60
jackm8
Zealot

Btw, how do you take Screenshots? It should come handy with PDF's. I loved that feature on Pocketbook, though there it also allowed you to select area to screenshot.