Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2024, 07:54 PM   #16
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
A dedicated screenshots folder. Woo hoo!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:11 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
With ability to set system time directly, I assume Kindle is not assuming GMT time.

For example, to overwrite a Scribe Notebook (restore some previous version or replace with a copy of another notebook), I have had to set modify date so it is in future of GMT time to get it to sync. Hopefully that's not necessary any longer.

I think this time offset was also responsible for 'disappearing covers' of side-loaded-by-calibre content (but was never able to reproduce this).

I'll check the notebook behavior.
Indeed, you can do a simple overwrite without having to muck with the modify timestamp: copy it to computer, copy back to new location, overwrite, and it will replace what used to be there.

The only trick is to figure out what is in the notebook folders. Viewing the thumbnail images helps with that.

So this helps with use cases:
  • backup and restore - copy .notebook folder (keep track of date) and you can restore that version if you don't like what the current one has become (for extra credit run @jhowell's KFX Input plugin to generate ePub so you can view them on demand and include folder and title metadata)
  • copy notebook - create placeholder notebooks (maybe with a particular template you treat by convention as 'replaceable'), identify source folder, copy the nbk from it to computer, then overwrite one of the replaceable notebooks.

A few months ago, I started working on a script to scrape the web page where Notebooks could be viewed, but then Amazon closed the front door to it. However, it turns out that with a special query parameter, and using a mobile device user client, it is still possible to access. At some point I hope to get it working, and get the notebook/folder names and associate them with the folder GUIDs.

Yes, thumbs up for the new Settings (10th generation and later Kindles only).

Last edited by tomsem; 01-09-2024 at 08:55 PM.
Advert
Old 01-09-2024, 08:22 PM   #18
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by .tycho View Post
Had to reboot a second time for the new settings UI to take hold, but so far, I like it!
When I updated my PaperWhite I noticed that the old settings menu was still active. I tried again after a few minutes the new style was there. I didn’t need to reboot.

That behavior probably indicates that this feature needs to be enabled by contact with Amazon’s servers before it will become available.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 09:21 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
When I updated my PaperWhite I noticed that the old settings menu was still active. I tried again after a few minutes the new style was there. I didn’t need to reboot.

That behavior probably indicates that this feature needs to be enabled by contact with Amazon’s servers before it will become available.
I can confirm this: turned on Airplane mode, applied update, Settings menu unchanged, Restart, Settings unchanged, turned off Airplane mode, Settings menu changed (after probably no more than 15 seconds).
Old 01-09-2024, 10:42 PM   #20
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
From : https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...e-to-download/

What's Household Sharing ?

EDIT OK, never mind. Thanks Google.
Household Sharing showed up on my Paperwhite before updating to 5.16.6. I had downloaded it but hadn't installed yet.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2024, 12:32 AM   #21
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by .tycho View Post
Had to reboot a second time for the new settings UI to take hold, but so far, I like it!
It’s more thiny. Less readable. I wonder what’s to like?
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 05:20 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
From : https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...e-to-download/

What's Household Sharing ?

EDIT OK, never mind. Thanks Google.
It's also sharing more than ebooks.

Though Household AKA Family sharing has been on the Website end of Amazon account if you have a Kindle library for ages. Over a year anyway. The 'sharers' both have to agree to Amazon obviously. Then you were already able to download the other person's ebooks. So without updating, I can't see what this does that didn't already exist via the web site. Also obviously whatever you do on the kindle will need done by everyone in the 'household'.

On Website, under Content
Preferences
Below Payment and Country/Regional
Quote:
Households and Family Library
Amazon Household enables two adults within a family to collectively manage Digital Content and share access to Prime benefits.

Prime members can share Prime Delivery, Prime Video in eligible areas, Prime Reading, Amazon Photos, Prime Early Access and more.
Amazon customers can create a Family Library to share books, apps, and games with members of their Amazon Household and their respective Amazon devices and media apps.
Both adults can manage parental controls with Amazon Kids for up to four children.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:37 AM   #23
Isamilis
Connoisseur
Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2015, Oasis, Paperwhite 2016
The 24hr / 12hr time format is not consistent. Even though it’s been setup 24h format, it’s still 12hr format on status bar reading screen.
Isamilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:08 AM   #24
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Uhhh... For some reason, after this update, my Kindle doesn't recognize the custom fonts anymore. Has anyone experienced this?
I've tried with newly downloaded and old books but they don't have any other fonts available aside from the preset ones.
At first I thought the update just deleted the fonts folder, but all my custom are still there. It's just that my Kindle doesn't seem to be reading them.

Edit:
Restart didn't fix it.

What fixed it was deleting my fonts folder, disconnecting my Kindle, reconnecting, then copying back all my custom fonts.

I don't know why my Kindle suddenly acted like it couldn't read the fonts.

Last edited by hleo12; 01-10-2024 at 08:23 AM.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 02:49 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamilis View Post
The 24hr / 12hr time format is not consistent. Even though it’s been setup 24h format, it’s still 12hr format on status bar reading screen.
You seem to be referring to the Show Clock When Reading option (which I have never used). Yep, still shows AM/PM. Turning it back off...

Did this always show at upper center in reading mode?

Also, it is not an option for fixed layout content (Print Replica, PDF, comics/manga, etc.). Was that always the case?
Old 01-10-2024, 03:02 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Uhhh... For some reason, after this update, my Kindle doesn't recognize the custom fonts anymore. Has anyone experienced this?
I've tried with newly downloaded and old books but they don't have any other fonts available aside from the preset ones.
At first I thought the update just deleted the fonts folder, but all my custom are still there. It's just that my Kindle doesn't seem to be reading them.

Edit:
Restart didn't fix it.

What fixed it was deleting my fonts folder, disconnecting my Kindle, reconnecting, then copying back all my custom fonts.

I don't know why my Kindle suddenly acted like it couldn't read the fonts.
I think I saw some reports on Reddit to that effect, prior to this update, but I have not seen it myself. The one I have on my Scribe is still there.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:25 PM   #27
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I noticed in the new settings menu that there is now a choice for software updates. When clicked it says "Your Kindle is up to date - You have the latest software (version 5.16.6)."

I wonder if that means we can now check for updates and download them on demand without having to go the the Kindle E-Reader Software Updates web page.
I doubt it. It probably will react the same way it already does, just in a more convenient spot to find now than searching in settings. When I search for updates now from the settings, it always "Scans" and rarely finds an update, even if there are some. I'm anticipating same results now, just having a menu button now. .... which is one shortcut I actually didn't need, but maybe some will like it, who knows.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:29 PM   #28
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It’s more thiny. Less readable. I wonder what’s to like?
Yeah, from https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/, said same thing
While I don't mind adding new shortcuts, that Amazon keeps shrinking text without zooming options defeats e-reader purpose for many who have vision issues, but ah well

So far I have heard this shortcut has added a simpler way to find if the kindle needs update, and household sharing, neither of which I use, so not really excited on my end. For years people post here and reddit that they want to find ways to hide household books sometimes, so it's always easy to share the library even if people don't want to, so not getting the point of adding a shortcut button when the books and audio are right there under "all content" to download on any account holder or sharer's device, but it's not something I use anyway.

And I always have to manually change my time with time zone changes anyway, as mine never seems to synch correctly those special two times a year. It's only twice a year that I have to worry about this though --- do some need to change the time much more where we need a menu item??

I don't really take screenshots with my e-ink readers, but I suppose on the very rare occasions where I'd take a snip of a recipe in a book or something, but this won't be something I use much.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 01-10-2024 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:40 PM   #29
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post

Oh, no!

I'm not manually updating this update since it sounds pointless to me, but hopefully this bug is fixed before it forces update since I use custom fonts all the time
Old 01-10-2024, 06:41 PM   #30
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Did this always show at upper center in reading mode?
Yes, mine is always top center. I leave my time on