Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2023, 07:09 AM   #1
Archibald Yates
Archibald Yates began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11th. gen., Kindle Oasis 8th. gen., Kindle Touch
Exclamation MacOS Sonoma: Allegedly no free disk space on Kindles

When I wanted to copy the latest firmware update to my 11.th generation Kindle Paperwhite I could not do it because the Finder prompted me that the Kindle had zero bytes free space. Which is not true, it has about 22 GB free space.

I checked my 8th generation Oasis and got the same result.

Since the latter did not get any firmware updates recently my guess is that the faulty part is macOS Sonoma (14.0), released at the end of September. I wonder if this is a Kindle specific problem or with FAT 32 in general.

Any thoughts/observations?

PS: Copying the firmware update from my iPad to the Paperwhite just worked fine.
Archibald Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 08:07 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I never do a new firmware update when it's first released. I wait for Reports from people like you.

Thanks for the info!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2023, 10:02 AM   #3
Archibald Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I wait for Reports from people like you.

Thanks for the info!
You're welcome.
Old 10-08-2023, 10:31 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I did not run into any issues like this (no space).

However a couple of my Kindles didn't update after copying the .bin file over. Says the update file is corrupt. One is PW (11th gen) and the other is Scribe (USB mass storage and MTP respectively). But 3 other Kindles updated as expected.

I haven't tried using a different system to copy the update. I'll try that and report back.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-08-2023 at 08:08 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 08:13 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I did not run into any issues like this (no space).

However a couple of my Kindles didn't update after copying the .bin file over. Says the update file is corrupt. One is PW (11th gen) and the other is Scribe (USB mass storage and MTP respectively). But 3 other Kindles updated as expected.

I haven't tried using a different system to copy the update. I'll try that and report back.
Everything worked when I used my MacBook Pro. Maybe it is an issue with the cable I used with my iMac. But apart from this, I have not knowingly had issues with the iMac+cable.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-09-2023 at 01:38 AM.
Advert
Old 10-09-2023, 02:07 AM   #6
Archibald Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Everything worked when I used my MacBook Pro. Maybe it is an issue with the cable I used with my iMac. But apart from this, I have not knowingly had issues with the iMac+cable.
Do you run Sonoma? And do you have an Intel Mac or Apple Silicon (me, the latter)?

I used the cables coming with the Kindles.

Last edited by Archibald Yates; 10-09-2023 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:38 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald Yates View Post
Do you run Sonoma? And do you have an Intel Mac or Apple Silicon (me, the latter)?

I used the cables coming with the Kindles.
I have both, and both are on Sonoma (MacBook is on beta).

The iMac is Intel (cable is one that came with a Belkin accessory), the other is Apple Silicon (with Apple USB C charging cable that came with the MacBook).

I suspect Belkin cable may be the issue, but I use it all the time for data transfers of all kinds.
Old 10-30-2023, 12:12 PM   #8
Archibald Yates

I managed to transfer the latest update for the Kindle Paperwhite from my Mac running Sonoma 14.0 by a pure USB-C cable.

This worked only once.

In the meantime I'm on Sonoma 14.1 but nothing has changed.
Old 10-30-2023, 01:46 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I had no issues with getting update file copied to several Kindles with iMac/Intel and same cable I used before. It's still on Sonoma 14.0, so unclear what the issue was with the last one.
Old 10-31-2023, 04:46 AM   #10
joh77
joh77 began at the beginning.

Device: KO3
No problems here. Tested on Sonoma 14.1 M1 and M2.
joh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:54 PM   #11
BanditoB
Enthusiast
BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.BanditoB seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Boox Tab Ultra, Boox Tab Ultra C, Kindle Oasis-9th Gen
Didn't Amazon change the way Kindles mount into the file system of a computer a version or two back?

I found a utility for the Mac from Google called Android File Transfer and use it to connect to the Kindle and send files to it. That has worked for me.

For this most recent update, I used one of my PC laptops and had no issues.

I just checked again on my MacBook Air and the Kindle Scribe no longer mounts in Finder. I'm quite sure that it no longer appears to the OS as though it is a USB drive. Now it uses a proprietary format that Windows has built into the OS, but Apple has not. So, give the Android File Transfer app a go and you should be okay.
BanditoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:36 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Android File Transfer is likely to work with the Scribe unless Amazon has switched to using MTP on other models. For Windows, you can have multiple connections to a MTP device so the Scribe will show as a mounted drive and be available to calibre. For Linux and MacOS, it's a single connection to a MTP device, so either it can show as a mounted driver OR it can be used by calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 09:42 PM   #13
Agent
Agent began at the beginning.

Device: Voyager
I have the same issue. It is fixed by rebooting the Mac, but I have to do it EVERY time I plug in the Kindle. I have a Voyager 7.
Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 02:09 AM   #14
Archibald Yates

A little update from my side: I'm on Sonoma 14.3 now but the problem persists.

My solution: I use a Path Finder, a Finder alternative. It does show zero disk space on the Kindle too, but it copies files nonetheless.

Path Finder is not free and I am not using it for this one purpose only, of course.
Old 01-28-2024, 02:10 PM   #15
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald Yates View Post
A little update from my side: I'm on Sonoma 14.3 now but the problem persists.

My solution: I use a Path Finder, a Finder alternative. It does show zero disk space on the Kindle too, but it copies files nonetheless.

Path Finder is not free and I am not using it for this one purpose only, of course.
Maybe try the latest utility from Titanium software, Maintenance

I have MacOS Sonoma 14.3, on Apple Silicon, and no problem.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote