Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-27-2022, 05:44 PM   #1
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
~ds disable sleep capability supposedly removed

The ability to disable sleep by doing a search on ~ds has supposedly been removed in recent firmware (but might be related to "special offers").

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...nt_work_after/

Can anyone confirm?

And if so, do the KUAL extensions for sleep disable/enable still work?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293264
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
I can't get it to work on my Oasis 2 running 5.14.3.0.1 or on PW5 SE running 5.14.2. Neither are jailbroken.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2022, 05:58 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I can't get it to work on my Oasis 2 running 5.14.3.0.1 or on PW5 SE running 5.14.2. Neither are jailbroken.
Thank you. Do either of them have "special offers"?
Old 06-04-2022, 04:28 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

I checked /usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/debug_cmds.json in firmwares 5.14.1.1, 5.14.2, and 5.14.3.0.1

The line:
Code:
"~ds" : "/usr/bin/ds.sh",
is still present in 5.14.1.1 but gone in 5.14.2 and 5.14.3.0.1 but all three have the script
/usr/biusn/ds.sh so the ability to disable sleep can be restored by restoring the above line to debug_cmds.json and the KUAL extensions in the thread
to disable and reenable sleep should still work for firmwares greater than 5.14.1.1
Old 06-04-2022, 06:44 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Thank you. Do either of them have "special offers"?
Neither of them do.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2023, 12:33 AM   #6
nzpei
nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: KT3
After a lot of digging thorough code (and a ton of failures trying to jailbreak my KT3 with 5.15.1.1 firmware), I've found a very simple way to disable the mimic ~ds behavior - including on an unrooted/unjailbroken stock device.

Steps:
1) Connect to your Kindle via USB
2) Create a file in the root directory called "TESTD_PREVENT_SCREENSAVER" - can be an empty file, but must be named exactly. (It'll ultimately sit in /mnt/us/ )
3) Reboot the device

Note I am not entirely sure what other consequences this may have, so use at your own risk - from what I can tell, this should be relatively safe.
nzpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:52 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
The ability to disable sleep by doing a search on ~ds has supposedly been removed in recent firmware (but might be related to "special offers").

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...nt_work_after/

Can anyone confirm?

And if so, do the KUAL extensions for sleep disable/enable still work?

it was removed a year or two ago
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:10 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
it was removed a year or two ago
Did you read post #4?
Old 04-30-2023, 03:19 PM   #9
pseudosphere
pseudosphere began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpei View Post
After a lot of digging thorough code (and a ton of failures trying to jailbreak my KT3 with 5.15.1.1 firmware), I've found a very simple way to disable the mimic ~ds behavior - including on an unrooted/unjailbroken stock device.

Steps:
2) Create a file in the root directory called "TESTD_PREVENT_SCREENSAVER" - can be an empty file, but must be named exactly. (It'll ultimately sit in /mnt/us/ )
3) Reboot the device

Note I am not entirely sure what other consequences this may have, so use at your own risk - from what I can tell, this should be relatively safe.
Wow, thank you so much for finding and sharing this! This is working on mine as well with the most current firmware with no jailbreak.

Honestly, I just need my web app stay on screen without it going to the screensaver, so I don't need a full jailbreak anyway, so this is perfect.
pseudosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:38 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Nice, want to try on Scribe. When using for sheet music, fake books etc one needs to keep it from sleeping somehow. Would be better if it were a Setting of course.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:36 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Nice, want to try on Scribe. When using for sheet music, fake books etc one needs to keep it from sleeping somehow. Would be better if it were a Setting of course.
Or would it be better if there was a setting:
[ ] Sleep screen is current page

Or
Sleep screen setting accessible from current page:
( ) Adverts
( ) Kindle images
( ) Book cover
( ) Current page
( ) Random from images folder
( ) Specific image or page
( ) Nothing, see dirt when cleaning.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:51 PM   #12
nzpei
nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.nzpei could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosphere View Post
Wow, thank you so much for finding and sharing this! This is working on mine as well with the most current firmware with no jailbreak.

Honestly, I just need my web app stay on screen without it going to the screensaver, so I don't need a full jailbreak anyway, so this is perfect.
Happy to help - and glad it worked for you as well. That's exactly my use case as well... trying to keep a webapp on screen all the time.

I'm yet to figure out a way to make the browser "fullscreen" or somehow hide the address bar... still poking around more in case there are some hidden settings. This https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...84&postcount=8 seems like a promising direction, but I haven't found anything yet.
nzpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 02:12 PM   #13
endriu
Enthusiast
endriu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzpei View Post

Steps:
3) Reboot the device

That's a great finding, however, after testing it for a while I concluded that even the magnetic case doesn't put the device into sleep mode (apparently it only turns off the backlight), which results in a relatively quick battery draining.
For me the ideal solution would be to extend the timeout from 10 minutes to some larger value (or a very large value to simulate infinity). Do you perhaps have any idea how to change this value? I have a jaibroken PW5.
endriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 03:55 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endriu View Post
That's a great finding, however, after testing it for a while I concluded that even the magnetic case doesn't put the device into sleep mode (apparently it only turns off the backlight), which results in a relatively quick battery draining.
For me the ideal solution would be to extend the timeout from 10 minutes to some larger value (or a very large value to simulate infinity). Do you perhaps have any idea how to change this value? I have a jaibroken PW5.
See this thread for pointers to where this has been discussed before. I haven't tried it myself, but there is a parameter which sets the timeout and it can be changed.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342516
Old 05-11-2023, 06:57 AM   #15
endriu
Enthusiast
endriu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
See this thread for pointers to where this has been discussed before. I haven't tried it myself, but there is a parameter which sets the timeout and it can be changed.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342516
I did try to use kdb as suggested here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=12

Code:
# kdb get system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout

# kdb set system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout 1200
kdb set: 'system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout'

# kdb get system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout
The set command doesn't update the entry.
endriu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disable sleep, sleep disable