Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: What is minimum and desired (hoped for) logevity you expect from DR? (years)
2/5 14 56.00%
4/8 2 8.00%
5/10 3 12.00%
10/any 1 4.00%
Your assumptions/numbers are way off 0 0%
Don't care about DR longevity 1 4.00%
Will use even it has to be plugged in at all times 2 8.00%
Other 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
For how long do you intend to use your DR?

Year ago when Cybook came out I asked this question for it:
Poll

To me when trying to justify a certain price I want to know how long a product will last. If it lasts 2x longer I can justify 2x greater price. Of course, there are many other factors. Clearly DR adds several great improvements over Cybook, hence higher price makes sense. Still, if I cannot enjoy these great features for many years then is the high price really justified?

Battery and runtime is a hot topic these days. Few times I asked about the ability to replace it, yet no simple option has been offered by anyone yet. IRex simply states that a unit must be sent to them to replace battery. Of course, I have no clue how much that costs, plus shipping costs ....

By now it is clear that DR battery works hard, is often under considerable load. We have a powerful CPU, complex PDFs to render, Wacom. I won't even talk about wireless here. Therefore chances are DR battery won't last a very long time.

While there are many factors involved, I will attempt a very rough estimates. I assume standby/hibernate are implemented bringing the current 6 hour runtime up to say 12 hours. Again, this is a rough estimate so at any point if you don't like my factors just change them and recalculate.

Medium reader = 4 hrs / day = 3 days / battery cycle
365 / 3 = 121 cycles / year

It is very hard to tell how many cycles it will last, as there are again many factors and different Lithium chemistries used in batteries. I will go with a somwehat conservative 600 cycles:

600 / 121 = 5 years

This is the typical general rule that a battery will last about 5 years. Note that DR might still function thereafter if plugged in at all times. Of course, that defeats the mobility feature.

Thus I finally come to the point. DR100S costs "US$749.00" (I am in North America). If it is expected to last only about 5 years (again try different assumptions for your own case if you don't like these) then is the cost justified?

Personally I don't mind paying more (in comparison to other cheaper readers) when I am getting significant functionality I desire that I can enjoy for a long time (10+ years). I don't like changing my gadgets too often.

Assuming iRex does support DR for 10+ years and does offer battery replacement service, it would cost me:
Bookeen charges $45 for a similar battery
Shipping I am guessing about $30
Labor ?????
Taxes ????
Total over $100 every 5 years

If I pay so much upfront for the device then I really don't like having additional ongoing costs like this.

Anyway what do you think?
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think personally that in a rapidly-evolving field such as this, I'd be highly unlikely to use any device for as a long as 5 years. Something better will always come along in the mean time and tempt me away from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think personally that in a rapidly-evolving field such as this, I'd be highly unlikely to use any device for as a long as 5 years. Something better will always come along in the mean time and tempt me away from it.
Then why bother even looking at DR?????
Especially if resale value will be very poor when the next buyer is faced with having to replace old battery and discovers it is not easy? In other words, does spending close to $1K every 5 years for a new eReader make sense????

I understand changing technology argument and I can see it working for smaller $300-$400 eReaders. However this one is 2x more expensive!
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_ninja View Post
I understand changing technology argument and I can see it working for smaller $300-$400 eReaders. However this one is 2x more expensive!
It's the same price as the iLiad. I owned an iLiad for about 9 months and then sold it, because it didn't suit my requirements. I got what I considered a fair resale price for my iLiad, as I have with all the book readers I've bought.

Do I consider spending $1k in five years on book readers "excessive"? Personally, no. I've spent considerably more than that on them in the last five years, and I consider it to have been money well spent. I spend several thousand $ a year on books, an extra few hundred a year for a reader is (for me personally) inconsequential.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
We are all IMHO within the first 1% of the whole product lifecycle of ereaders. The early adopters as the marketeers call that. Once in a life I want to be an early adopter, (I for one am usually none, that is being pretty sceptic until a new technology becomes into wide wide use, I for one was e.g. one of the last of my friends circle to buy a cellphone, I long doubted about LCD monitors to be aboth tubes) and of course being an early adopter comes with some disadvantages... And this is the device you buy today will be old technology next year. But one day you can tell you grandchildren, I was within the first who believed in this technology and helped it to embark.

Last edited by axel77; 10-21-2008 at 10:15 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
The option for me would have been:
"Until something clearly better comes along."
(from any manufacturer, sorry no zealous brand loyalty from me...)
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I guess the way I'd define the amount of usage and lifetime for any digital device of mine is in terms of if it still does what it's supposed to do and I'm satisfied with it. Regarding digital reading devices, I'm still not content with any of the offerings out there yet pertaining to large-format media; so until one comes along and meets my demands I guess I'll keep upgrading until one does (of course I won't spend an arm and a leg for one either!). Regrading small-format media; e.g., paperback books, I'm quite content with my Sony Reader and may upgrade one more time for added features, though it's tough to justify since I'm quite happy with it now.

As for the iRex product... I'm going to need something with a bit more durability that I'm not afraid will break if I handle it wrong and something with a better energy conservation mode.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
I guess the way I'd define the amount of usage and lifetime for any digital device of mine is in terms of if it still does what it's supposed to do and I'm satisfied with it. Regarding digital reading devices, I'm still not content with any of the offerings out there yet pertaining to large-format media; so until one comes along and meets my demands I guess I'll keep upgrading until one does (of course I won't spend an arm and a leg for one either!).
That's very much my attitude too. There was a time, for example, when I'd pretty much automatically buy each new model of iPaq Pocket PC that HP released, because each was a significant improvement. Now that device has matured, I'm happy with the one I have and I no longer do that.

Book readers are still very much at the "developing product" stage of their life, and each new generation of device does generally have something new and worthwhile to offer. I'll probably be regularly upgrading my eBook readers for the next 5-10 years. My present "requrement" is that a book reader has good MobiPocket support, but even that may change at some point if some "killer device" is released which doesn't have Mobi support.