Notices

Old 11-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #1
cstn1987
Enthusiast
cstn1987 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire
Opinions needed from fantasy fans

Hi everyone.

I currently have a horror/dystopian book out that's doing somewhat well. Its gotten great reviews and has been steadily getting between 5 and 15 sales a day and 2000+ pages read... so I figured I kind of know what I'm doing.

A few days ago I released a fantasy epic. [Link deleted - MODERATOR]

Not one sale and not a single page read... and in my own opinion its substantially better than the book I have out that's doing well... Am I missing something???? Any opinions (especially critical ones) would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-14-2016 at 07:34 AM.
cstn1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Are you sure your reports aren't a bit behind?
Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #116,057 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#890 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#1092 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
#1924 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have some patience. Get the other parts done.
I know I wouldn't buy it until I saw I could get all the parts.
The writing looks good.
Glad people are buying your other book.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
cstn1987
Enthusiast

The ranking could be from people downloading it through KDP but stopping before they read enough for it to register pages on my account. Only one sale came from me so I could see how everything looked on a kindle. The map and family crest I designed etc.

Thanks.. Hopefully its just the election lol

Some people on another sight claimed my cover is hard to make out, suggesting that's the problem.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstn1987 View Post
The ranking could be from people downloading it through KDP but stopping before they read enough for it to register pages on my account. Only one sale came from me so I could see how everything looked on a kindle. The map and family crest I designed etc.

Thanks.. Hopefully its just the election lol

Some people on another sight claimed my cover is hard to make out, suggesting that's the problem.
The people probably borrowed and will read it when they get the time.
You are making a common new author assumption that people buy/borrow and immediately read.
Fact: with Kindle Unlimited you can borrow up to 10 books at a time.
Your book may be first or it may be last. Or the person may get hooked on an author and read and return all those books while yours waits in limbo.

So my advice is ignore that KDP report and get to writing the rest of your books.
Unless you can write a book in one sitting.

You will either do good or you won't but constantly checking does nothing but bring heartbreak and despair.
Advert
Old 11-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
cstn1987
Enthusiast

I know... its just so hard not to look lol.

Thanks for the kind words though.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I can only speak for myself, others certainly have different opinions. First, it's too short. Yes, it's part 1 and the price is very low, but I personally prefer novel-length books, even if they're more expensive. But then, I've never been a fan of novellas or serial novels. I want nice fat doorstoppers in my epic fantasy menu.

Second, the tone is a bit too formal/solemn for me. Mind you, that's purely personal preference too and certainly there are many fantasy fans out there not bothered by your style at all. But I personally would like a bit more natural style, especially in dialogue.

That's my two cents, anyway. If your book was 500 pages instead of 150, I would be tempted, regardless of the formal tone.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And of course, my deepest admiration and gratitude for writing books, particularly in my favorite genre, fantasy. I could not write a page of fiction if my life depended on it. So without people like you I (and countless other readers) would have nothing to read and I'm very grateful that you write. Even when I'm whining and nitpicking.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
A "me too!" post.

Patience. If people are enjoying your other work they will eventually try this.

150 pages is pretty short for "epic" fantasy. Yes, it's part one, but that in itself will put a lot of people off (having been badly burnt by various famous series, many readers hold off to make sure the "epic" will get finished in their lifetimes).

Keep writing. Finish the epic. Good luck (however hard you work, there is always an element of luck).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:55 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The cover picture is OK, but the typography is flat and dull. The cover screams 'self-published by one-person band'.

Part 1 of a new epic fantasy, and no indication that the other parts are available, or have even been written?

The first paragraph of the blurb put me off.

"Millennia have passed since the Red King met his death by the hands of Kahyin Asundar, Prince of the white elves. Kahyin and his brethren now face an even greater enemy known as man. They take all the lands and waters have to offer, they multiply well beyond their means and their kings long to see the elves wiped from existence."

"enemy known as man" ?

That just doesn't sound/look right.

"enemy known as Man" if you must, or "enemy known as men".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:02 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstn1987 View Post
A few days ago I released a fantasy epic. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXI3TZZ

Not one sale and not a single page read... and in my own opinion its substantially better than the book I have out that's doing well... Am I missing something???? Any opinions (especially critical ones) would be really appreciated. Thanks.
I'll be honest.. that is a terrible cover. It's muddy, extremely dark, with dodgy typograpy, and it signals that the book is horror, not epic fantasy. Engaging an experienced cover designer really is worth it, if you're serious about writing as more than a very minor hobby. I would pass over this book in an instant, since it looks like an amateurish self-pub book that hasn't had care and thought put into it.

This may well be unfair to the writing, but it's the reality of how many readers react to covers like this one.

Others have covered the issue of novella-length fantasy instalments.

(I wasn't engaged by the Look Inside, but that's my personal bias against this type of fantasy book - epically warring Tolkeinesque hordes just bore me nowadays. I look for something a little fresher or different.)

Last edited by meeera; 11-11-2016 at 07:05 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would see the cover and not even bother to read the description. I would pass right by this book. The cover desperately needs to be changed to one that would catch people' eye and get them to read the description.

I clicked on Look Inside (Amazon UK) and I see a better cover. Why is that other cover not used in the books listing?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MXI3T...der_B01MXI3TZZ

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-11-2016 at 07:25 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #13
cstn1987
Enthusiast

Takes awhile for it to change on amazon. Just did it yesterday. Simply depicts another character in the book. I haven't been messing around with cs6 for long, but I feel the need to make my own covers.

Last edited by cstn1987; 11-11-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

That's a much better cover.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's a much better cover.
It's a better picture, but the typography remains a mess.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote