Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #1
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Men and Women are NOT alike (book covers)

In trying to decide on a book cover, I conducted a very scientific poll to gather input. It consisted of me emailing family members and asking random people on the internet to choose their favorite cover . Thirty or so people replied back. Age range: 13 to 59. About two-thirds were women.

Since I didn't intend the poll to be a study of gender differences, the results surprised me. Only one male voted for Purple Starry Head. Two women voted for Brunette in the Wind. That's a striking gender divide. I'd love to know the reason. Do you think it's just a color palette thing or something deeper?

Received 90% of the male vote.

The two covers are designed to give off different vibes.

In the aftermath of a comet hitting the Earth, Brunette in the Wind plays off of the ongoing chaos and decline of civilization.

On the other hand, Purple Starry Head captures the main character's determination to hold onto her dreams and work for a brighter future.

Received 90% of the female vote.

I wasn't surprised that most of the men steered away from the purple and pink cover. But I expected the female vote to be more divided.

Anyway, I would need a larger number of participants to draw any definite conclusions. But I just did a blog post on this, so I thought I'd share.

Last edited by Lima Bean; 08-11-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Lima Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Female and I love the first cover.
Since you have a very small data set, would be interesting to see the approximate ages of the genders.
Are these actual readers or just random people?
Oh I see why.
Can I guess that 90% of people you asked are very religious Christians?

I love that first cover but for your specific genre if you are aiming for female readers, go for the second one. Even if you are going for male readers you might want to find a slightly less risqué cover.

To me, that first cover SCREAMED sexy.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As a man, I find the first cover much, much sexier.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Brunette in the Wind, definetely. The second cover looks like that of a self-help or astrology book to me
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
Lima Bean
Groupie
Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lima Bean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Female and I love the first cover.
Since you have a very small data set, would be interesting to see the approximate ages of the genders.
Are these actual readers or just random people?
Oh I see why.
Can I guess that 90% of people you asked are very religious Christians?

I love that first cover but for your specific genre if you are aiming for female readers, go for the second one. Even if you are going for male readers you might want to find a slightly less risqué cover.

To me, that first cover SCREAMED sexy.

Other than my family members, I didn't know the religious affiliations of most of the participants or anything about their reading habits. I didn't think to ask. Oops!

Sexy and risque--really? There's no cleavage showing. I didn't see her that way at all. Interesting how people see things so differently.
Advert
Old 08-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's VERY sexy, but not remotely risqué, to my mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's VERY sexy, but not remotely risqué, to my mind.
I was looking at the genre of the book and thinking of his target audience. If his readers are like some of my relatives: anything even remotely sexy is risqué.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I prefer the first cover by a wide margin. Doesn't really say sexy to me (or risque), definitely get a thriller/adventure/mystery vibe with a heroine I hope I'll be rooting for (although it would word for romantic suspense too).

The second I find to have some interesting ideas, but overall uncohesive with various elements just kind of pasted here and there.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I don't like the second one because it gives the illusion that the woman has a flabby or broken arm, or a strangely muscled arm.

I should add that when I see what some people would think to be a beautiful sunset, I see a sun that exploded 8 minutes and 19 seconds earlier, and that I have only one second left to live.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-11-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

The genre according to the title is Apocalyptic Christian Fiction.
Hey Lima Bean since you now have me totally curious, I am off to look at one of your books.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Brunette in the Wind, definetely. The second cover looks like that of a self-help or astrology book to me

Looks Trippy

Purple is fine. Grapes are Purple and make WINE

Last edited by theducks; 08-11-2016 at 04:33 PM. Reason: typo
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #12
Lima Bean
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I don't like the second one because it gives the illusion that the woman has a flabby or broken arm, or a strangely muscled arm.
A flabby, broken, or strangely muscled arm.

If you see the whole picture, it's her hair. But your comment thoroughly amused me. Also, concerned me. I wonder how many other people think it's a strangely muscled arm.

I have the Purple Starry Head on the ebook right now. You folks are making me rethink my current choice.

Last edited by Lima Bean; 08-11-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The gender divide doesn't surprise me. The first cover says male-oriented science fiction; the second is softer: romance or at least some romantic elements.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:05 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The gender divide doesn't surprise me. The first cover says male-oriented science fiction; t.
Nah!
It is missing the big honk'n Blaster. A must have, if there is not a Spaceship
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:46 AM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm a woman. I would choose the first cover based on the better typography, though I'm not terribly keen on PoutyFace. I'm not in your target market, though, since I don't read "Christian Fiction".
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote