Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Master Outlining and Tracking Tool

Click It looks like an interesting spreadsheet.

Last edited by crich70; 08-08-2016 at 12:18 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Click It looks like an interesting spreadsheet.

Thank you for the link.

Those who are interested in the above may also wish to look at yWriter5 - which is free, located here:

http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html

No Mac version, though.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Scrivener is also good though it's not free. www.literatureandlatte.com
Old 11-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I've recently taken up writing. Nearing retirement I need a new gig. I've always wanted to do someting more creative being an engineer. I read alot and have thought of some good ideas for novels, so why not try.

I want to like this spreadsheet. I have to wonder if it was done with a much older version of excel because it doesn't translate well to newer versions of excel. I'm in the process of rebuilding it a bit, but instead using Apple's Numbers. (I bought a new Macbook just for writing). I'd like to see if I could create a bit more flexibility to it by adding a time column for non linear time stories and also allowing for some flexibility in the outline other than the 3-act scenario (divided by three, divided by 3, etc.) still a work in progress. If you google 'using spreadsheets for novel outlining' you'll come across several examples. It seems some just build one specifically for a project instead of forcing a project into the spreadsheet. I think I prefer the former, which is why I'm trying to build some flexibility into a rebuild of this one. Maybe I should start from scratch. Although, there is some good info in the spreadsheet I'm trying to capture.

Last edited by drofgnal; 11-03-2016 at 01:44 PM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:01 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
There's nothing like software (or other gadget or gimmick) to distract hopeful writers from actually writing.

(Hey, I'm not sayin' I'm not guilty!)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

The creator of the spreadsheet has a 2.0 version up now too.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I've recently taken up writing. Nearing retirement I need a new gig. I've always wanted to do someting more creative being an engineer. I read alot and have thought of some good ideas for novels, so why not try.

I want to like this spreadsheet. I have to wonder if it was done with a much older version of excel because it doesn't translate well to newer versions of excel. I'm in the process of rebuilding it a bit, but instead using Apple's Numbers. (I bought a new Macbook just for writing). I'd like to see if I could create a bit more flexibility to it by adding a time column for non linear time stories and also allowing for some flexibility in the outline other than the 3-act scenario (divided by three, divided by 3, etc.) still a work in progress. If you google 'using spreadsheets for novel outlining' you'll come across several examples. It seems some just build one specifically for a project instead of forcing a project into the spreadsheet. I think I prefer the former, which is why I'm trying to build some flexibility into a rebuild of this one. Maybe I should start from scratch. Although, there is some good info in the spreadsheet I'm trying to capture.
Honestly, for outlining, I'm still very happy with YWriter. I also have tried a large number of other pieces of software. I've tried Scrivener, PowerStructure, Truby's Blockbuster, LiquidStoryBinder (don't bother), and a few others.

To me, using Snowflake Pro + Power structure will get you a LONG way down the road in outlining. Then it's pretty easy to create scenes in YWriter.

YWriter isn't as sexy as L&L's Scrivener. It's originally a mac product, and as is typical, it's very pretty. It looks "smooth," much like other Mac-based software. HOWEVER, it does one thing that none of the others do--it creates timelines FOR you as you write (or even merely outline) your scenes, so that you can see if Suzie is in two places at once, pretty easily.

Yes, Scrivener has a folder where you can put notes, or create more folders for whatever. Music, images to inspire you, and so on. You can TAG different scenes or writing units. But in terms of pure writing functionality, my vote goes to YWriter.

P.S.: one very groovy thing about PS is that it has a compact mode. If you have your outline done, you can pop it up at the top of your screen, and work in (insert whatever writing software or program you are using here). So that, let's say, you're typing your fingers off in Word, you can glance up to see your outline, scene notes, and so forth, for that scene/chapter. It's quite handly.

Truby's software is also pretty damn impressive, but the interface is just dreadful. By which I guess I mean, the software's concept is great, but the way it's implemented is poor. to me, it looks like it was written when XP was King, and never updated.

(I would, however, still strongly recommend his book on writing!)

Hope this helps a bit.

OH! PS: there's a formatting alert about Scrivener. Scrivener's MOBI files are no longer cleanly compatible with the KDP! Be aware.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:02 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
One may also wish to look at Aeon Timeline (available only for the Mac).

http://www.aeontimeline.com/
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
For outlining and first sketches and idea's, I use something most people would never think of. A notebook, and a fountain pen.

I dislike doing things at the computer apart from actually writing the words in the story (which I don't do by hand, because then I would STILL need to type them into the computer afterward).

It's the same when I design a firmware/computer program. I do that on paper. I really dislike having to jack around with diagrams and text boxes and stuff on screen before I know what goes were. Before you know it, you're dragging and retyping more than actually produce something usable.

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-20-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
For outlining and first sketches and idea's, I use something most people would never think of. A notebook, and a fountain pen.
Yes, me three - although not necessarily a fountain pen. Something about the tactile feel of a pencil on paper is really helpful to me, but it tends to be harder to read later, unless I've transferred it directly to the screen soon after. The pencils I use must be a little soft, because the writing tends to be a bit smeary after awhile.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Yes, me three - although not necessarily a fountain pen. Something about the tactile feel of a pencil on paper is really helpful to me, but it tends to be harder to read later, unless I've transferred it directly to the screen soon after. The pencils I use must be a little soft, because the writing tends to be a bit smeary after awhile.
I love fountain pens. A good roller ball is OK, but a fountain pen that writes under its own pressure takes the cake.

I've collected those things, quite some years ago, but in the end I noticed I returned only to one particular pen all the time, so I sold the entire collection. I only kept one fountain pen (A Sailor ProGear, 21k nib), one roller ball (Waterman Expert, for backup, and for other people if they ask me for a pen), and a mechanical pencil (A Sheaffer Prelude).

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-20-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #12
Pamie Kay
Pamie Kay - Author
Pamie Kay began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

I dislike doing things at the computer apart from actually writing the words in the story (which I don't do by hand, because then I would STILL need to type them into the computer afterward).

It's the same when I design a firmware/computer program. I do that on paper. I really dislike having to jack around with diagrams and text boxes and stuff on screen before I know what goes were. Before you know it, you're dragging and retyping more than actually produce something usable.
Hi Katsunami.

It's refreshing to hear someone say they actually write and sketch by hand anymore. While I don't do firmware/computer program creations (actually I've started writing children's books in epub (etc) format) I find that I too can spend more time thinking about the project rather than all of the "exactness" of technology.

I do like the exactness! But I'd rather "spit it out" first, and then get it to perfection.

Notebooks, and colored pencils are my first tools.
Pamie Kay is offline   Reply With Quote