Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 3
"How To Write": Which book?

Hey guys, I know this question will make me come across as stupid to the Mobileread community and because of this, I've been putting off asking this question for a long time. I realised tonight that I can no longer continue to be passive and avoid getting help.

My question is about me improving my basic punctuation. I feel like I get enough practice writing, but I need help with this.

I'm in desperate need of a reliable and verified ebook written by a professional writer or someone that's a well-respected writer. Specifically, I need information so that I know exactly when to use a ";"(semi-colon) "--"(dash) and a ","(comma).

Thank you for any ebook suggestions!
FatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post
Hey guys, I know this question will make me come across as stupid to the Mobileread community and because of this, I've been putting off asking this question for a long time. I realised tonight that I can no longer continue to be passive and avoid getting help.

My question is about me improving my basic punctuation. I feel like I get enough practice writing, but I need help with this.

I'm in desperate need of a reliable and verified ebook written by a professional writer or someone that's a well-respected writer. Specifically, I need information so that I know exactly when to use a ";"(semi-colon) "--"(dash) and a ","(comma).

Thank you for any ebook suggestions!
So you're not actually looking for a book on "how to write", you're looking for a book on grammar rules. This is one that was recommended to my son's Freshman comp class by his professor. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Book-Gram...nglish+grammar If you don't need the paper book, you can also go to this site http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation_rules.asp which has all of the content of the book.

Hope this helps.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moved to the Writers' Forum, where opinions and recommendations will abound!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Strunk and White The Elements of Style for Grammar/Usage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style

there is an on-line version.....google it...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Suggestions like the one from Kenny are important; you need an appropriate education, or a book like that, that as a starting point. The problem is that the use of punctuation in fiction is rather fluid and dependent on the writer and style.

Generally fiction needs to be a bit more relaxed than the strict adherence to the rules would seem to allow. You have to learn what the rules are and where it is acceptable (or even expected) to bend or break them. Finding the right compromise is no easy task, and I've never found a good reference for writing fiction. (If such references did exist, I suspect that each would say different things.)

There are two good places to expand your education:

1) Read in your genre, but don't get lost in the story, pay attention to the text. Study how the sentences and paragraphs are constructed and work out why certain things are presented as they are.

2) I believe the best way way to to learn how to use punctuation with your writing is to write and then get it corrected. It can help if you have a suitable friend to aid you in the first passes before searching for a professional.

You can make a start on your own by reading the text aloud. I have found that text-to-voice software can be quite useful, letting you hear how your text is being interpreted. It won't necessarily help you get strictly correct punctuation, but it can highlight awkward sentences. Quite often awkward sentences are where we start looking for complex punctuation that wouldn't be necessary with some simple restructuring.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
And if you are looking to go beyond just a grammar/style book I've got three that are at the top of my list.....and I've bought/read tons of them...

The Making of a Story by Alice LaPlante

Reading like a Writer by Francine Prose

and more traditionally
Writing Fiction by Janet Burroway
there are a number of editions of this one - I have an old 2nd edition but it's great!

all of these include complete stories, discussion, questions, exercises etc.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:41 AM   #7
Kyle Connor
Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kyle Connor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You must follow some writing blogs. Like I use TheWritePractice, WriteToDone and the WriteLife.
Kyle Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Strunk and White The Elements of Style for Grammar/Usage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style

there is an on-line version.....google it...
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote