Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Scrivener - StoryMill - Storyist - WriteItNow 5

There three major software programs specifically geared toward writing fiction and non-fiction:

1) Scrivener (which I own)
2) StoryMill (on sale for $19.99)
3) Storyist (higher priced than the other two)

I mentioned in another post that Mariner Software (which owns StoryMill, Mariner Write, and other programs), is currently having a 50% off sale on some software.

Although I love and use Scrivener, I will admit that it has a lot of features that I don't use, but only because I haven't taken the time to master them.

The other two programs in the above list are (I have heard) easier to master.

I've played around with StoryMill and it's OK, but Mariner's software (much of it) hasn't been updated in a long time. StoryMill hasn't had a major update since 2011, which may be the kiss of death for software.

What are your thoughts on these three programs?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Of those I've only used Scrivener. I like it but I think I have to be honest and say it's just not how my mind works. When I try to use it I end up spending time procrastinating by playing with all the different features.

Also I've never written non-fiction or long fiction - so I've never really needed the organisational features where I guess it would help.

Not that I've written anything for ages...
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
I use Storyist on my Mac and iPad with seamless syncing using iCloud. Though there are more export features I would like to have, it's working well for me.
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've only tried Scrivener, which I own and use for writing (when I get round to it...), so can't comment on the others. Like you, I have not delved too deeply into the features, and am sure I'm not using it as efficiently as I could. I do like it, though.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Does any of these have an accompanying Android app? In other words are you able to fiddle around with your writing project whenever the bug bites?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Does any of these have an accompanying Android app? In other words are you able to fiddle around with your writing project whenever the bug bites?

If you're asking me, I'm constantly writing and have some things already available for free and for sale.

As far as using an Android app, I've never checked into this because I write only on my MacBook Pro. I do have an Ipad, but I'm not interested in any kind of creative writing using that device.

I have heard that Storyist has an Android app available and that it syncs fine.

About the other programs (and one can now include WriteItNow), that brings the total to 4 that one can consider when using a Mac. I'm talking about dedicated writing programs. One could also argue for Ulysses to be included in that group.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:12 AM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I use Windows, hence the wish for something that syncs between PC software and Android tablets.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Are there any examples of books written and published using these softwares?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
And I use Windows, hence the wish for something that syncs between PC software and Android tablets.

Both Scrivener and WriteItNow are available right now for Windows PCs.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Are there any examples of books written and published using these softwares?

I would guess that a huge number of books are written using Scrivener - being arguably the most popular on the market; in fact, it has a fanatical following.

I use Scrivener exclusively for the writing, note-taking, arranging, etc. I like to produce an epub when finished, which I will then take to calibre and convert to an AZW3 file. I then upload the file(s) to Amazon and/or Smashwords.

Regardless of one's methodology, I really think Scrivener has penetrated into the consciousness of the marketplace. It's certainly set a precedent for future work and further competition.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Hence my hope/wish for a companion app on Android. I believe they have one for the iPad.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Scrivener doesn't exactly sync between the Mac and Windows versions. They theoretically could using cloud storage (OneDrive, Dropbox, etcetera) but too many people report issues with unsynchronized changes. Scriv makes lots of small writes, saving almost constantly, and that seems incompatible with long term reliability working directly on any of these sites.

I run both Win and Mac versions. It is not difficult to take a project back and forth. The project appears as a file in OSX and as a directory in Win (it is actually a directory in both). I had success copying it to/from a USB memory stick and also as an attachment to e-mail. I'm not an advanced user, just a dabbler, so I don't know if any formats or features get lost in the back-and-forth. The feature set is not identical between the two OS's but the Lit & Latte forums suggest there is no problem doing this.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #13
marovada
marovada began at the beginning.

Device: Macbook Pro, Android tablet, iPhone, iPad and PC
Scrivener has a sync option that saves the work into a number of separate files. Scrivener syncs the files with the scriv file each time it opens and closes. I use that feature with dropbox to write on my Android phone and an interesting device called an "openpandora". Sync is only available in the Mac version. It's supposed to be in the next windows version but it's been on the wanted list for quite some time.
marovada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:34 AM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

What do you write with on Android? What will sync with Scrivener from an Android?
Old 07-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I would guess that a huge number of books are written using Scrivener - being arguably the most popular on the market; in fact, it has a fanatical following.

I use Scrivener exclusively for the writing, note-taking, arranging, etc. I like to produce an epub when finished, which I will then take to calibre and convert to an AZW3 file. I then upload the file(s) to Amazon and/or Smashwords.

Regardless of one's methodology, I really think Scrivener has penetrated into the consciousness of the marketplace. It's certainly set a precedent for future work and further competition.
Yes, but can you name one (or three) successful authors who use it?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote