Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-12-2008, 03:39 AM   #286
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dki View Post
Also, my Cybook broke after eight months, not a few weeks. And while it was carried around as a rule, it did not leave the house for a few weeks prior to the failure. And it is now as broken as the one participating in safari.
What did Bookeen say that the cause of the failure was?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #287
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
I am NOT sending this piece of wonderful technology back to France at $80 one way + costs of repair (and I am absolutely sure that they will find out a broken screen and charge me 120 euro, which I think is now about $160). This is simply not economical (would come to close to $300, with Sony PRS505 available at about $270 brand new with US warranty), and I am not well off enough to do it out of idle curiosity. Even if fixed, I am pretty sure it would break down again,there is something inherently wrong with this design. I don't really like the limited native formats in Sony, but can live with that, or go with Astak, which will have more formats and also US warranty. I now have enough points on Sony card to get reader for about $50, or I can wait another 2-3 months & get it for free, which is even better.

Short story is I am not throwing good $$ after bad, and that was last product of french technology I will ever have anything to do with. And significant other told me, before purchasing this at my insistence as my Christmas gift, "think, think, do you really want this?? would you buy a french car???". Well, this certainly did show me - I would not.

Dorota
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 02:31 AM   #288
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
dki, then maybe you should sell it - Im sure there are some people who would buy it from you to have it repaired to get a 2nd cheaper unit (like me hehe) and if you get 50$ for it the price for the sony goes down to 220$
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:45 AM   #289
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Gen3 is not "French technology"; the machine itself is made (and designed) by Netronix in Taiwan.

France is one of the world leaders in engineering and technology, it should be noted in passing - look at their railway network; the TGV is the envy of the world, and I am very happily driving an extremely reliable French car (a Peugeot). The claim that there is something inherently unreliable about products made in France is ridiculous, and rather distasteful.

You're equally likely to break a Sony or an Astak as a Gen3. Both use the same, equally-fragile, screen, as does the Gen3.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #290
zed01
zed01 began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook gen3
broken screen

yesterday afternoon I found a similar problem. (cybook gen3)

taking out the reader from my bag at the airport to start reading: the screen covered with vertical and horizontal lines. only a part of the screen can be seen some text.
the reader is exactly 6 months old and hold in its cover and treated with care. I can't find any obvious reason why its failed.

I have contacted bookeen and now waiting their answer.

Last edited by zed01; 10-13-2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: typo in title
zed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #291
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
France is one of the world leaders in engineering and technology, it should be noted in passing - look at their railway network; the TGV is the envy of the world, and I am very happily driving an extremely reliable French car (a Peugeot). The claim that there is something inherently unreliable about products made in France is ridiculous, and rather distasteful.
And kudos to you, Harry, for driving a french car. You are an adventurer, while I just want to be able to commute to work EVERY DAY. I will keep away, as I already had, at one point a Renault and a Citroen, so I AM in a position to judge and compare. Luckily, there are NO french cars in US - guess why. The way French handle a warranty on their products is ridiculous and rather distasteful, and as to France being the world leader in technology.... well, lets just say I strongly disagree. I don't envy anybody TGV, and don't know of anyone who does. I rather take a flight. Neither do I envy that wonder of wonders, Concorde, or anything else.

Quote:
The Gen3 is not "French technology"; the machine itself is made (and designed) by Netronix in Taiwan.
. I bet most of the parts for TGV are from Taiwan (or someplace equally exotic), but it's still french technology... So what, if it's good then let's claim we made it, if not then somebody else did it? Tres French. I will not go any further into that, I have no love of French and it shows. I have my reasons, and in my lifetime nothing happened to improve my low opinion. Cybook is no exception. And if the design is faulty maybe they should not hop on that wagon and sell it as a french product.

Dorota
Old 10-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #292
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Entirely off topic as far as broken screens go but as far as French technology goes I sure hope it will be the French that build South Africa's new nuclear power plants.

I don't think the broken screens are a symptom of poor French technology. The iliad also has loads of issues with broken screens and that is a Dutch company. Stuff breaks, you cant blame a race of people.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #293
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dki View Post
. I bet most of the parts for TGV are from Taiwan (or someplace equally exotic), but it's still french technology... So what, if it's good then let's claim we made it, if not then somebody else did it? Tres French. I will not go any further into that, I have no love of French and it shows. I have my reasons, and in my lifetime nothing happened to improve my low opinion. Cybook is no exception. And if the design is faulty maybe they should not hop on that wagon and sell it as a french product.

Dorota
No, the Gen3 doesn't just use Taiwanese componments; the Gen3 is the Netronix EB100, rebadged for Bookeen. See:

http://www.whizebook.com/2008/03/net...ok-reader.html

Bookeen are responsible for the Mobi reader on it, but the hardware design is 100% Netronix.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #294
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Entirely off topic as far as broken screens go but as far as French technology goes I sure hope it will be the French that build South Africa's new nuclear power plants.

I don't think the broken screens are a symptom of poor French technology. The iliad also has loads of issues with broken screens and that is a Dutch company. Stuff breaks, you cant blame a race of people.
Well said, Martin; the French are most definitely the world leaders in nuclear power plant design (and the country which gets the highest proportion of its electricity from Nuclear power). Electricite de France (EDF) are shortly to start building the next generation of nuclear power plants here in the UK, too.

Back on topic, as you rightly say, screens break on all makes of eInk device.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:59 AM   #295
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Back on topic, as you rightly say, screens break on all makes of eInk device.
Yes. The difference is how the company that sold the screen/device handles things when problems do occur. Bookeen seems to be inclined to take a "blame the user" attitude more often than Amazon or even Sony.

I'm in the camp that loves the Cybook but would never buy another device from Bookeen.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #296
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Actually, Bill, I think that Bookeen have a far better repair policy than either Amazon or Sony.

Sony basically won't touch you with a bargepole if you dared to buy the device in a country which they don't "officially" sell to (which means that, in most of the world, you're buying a Sony Reader with no warranty at all!)

Amazon do, I agree, have a more generous warranty replacement policy than Bookeen, but should they decide that your breakage is not covered by the warranty, then they don't offer a repair service at all, meaning that your Kindle is worthless and cannot be repaired.

Bookeen will repair anyone's Gen3 under any circumstances, and I'm certain that they aren't making any "profit" from doing so, either. The price they charge for replacing the screen - under half the price of buying a new machine - seems extremely reasonable to me.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #297
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Fair points, Harry.

And I should say that I have no personal experience with Bookeen support, and am relying upon the experiences shared here about unanswered emails and being charged for repairs that really didn't seem caused by misuse.

We have had a recent success story shared here on a warranty replacement by Bookeen...so my opinion is always subject to change.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #298
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But if your gen3 did suffer a screen break that's not the user's fault, Bookeen will charge and the user is screwed. I know it may not be possible to get Bookeen to know it's a unit break vs a user break. But it still leaves a bad taste.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #299
dki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Yes. The difference is how the company that sold the screen/device handles things when problems do occur. Bookeen seems to be inclined to take a "blame the user" attitude more often than Amazon or even Sony.

I'm in the camp that loves the Cybook but would never buy another device from Bookeen.
Yes, that was actually my point. Bookeen support is non-responsive, and I did get a file I asked them for (about 4 times) from HarryT, not from Bookeen. Does not speak well for them. I don't trust French technology, their accomplishments notwithstanding, and I totally despise they way they handle customers. I do not trust them to fairly diagnose the problem, and am just going to forget the whole sorry experience. Will never buy another Bookeen device, no matter how advanced it is - their customer service kills all the advantages their advanced technology may create.

I understand that it's not Bookeen developing the technology, but you have responsibility rebranding it and selling it at profit under your name. Do some testing at least. In my opinion - you put your name on it, it's your product and that's that. So, for me it is French technology, sorry, but if it's not, don't sign your name under it. I don't care what they have to do to get the devices fixed and what it costs them - that's something Bookeen should have thought of anf have had down to the pat before getting into this deal. I don't see Volkswagen saying - sorry, this was made in Mexico, it's not our technology. It's Volkswagen and that's that. (and that's off topic too). Booken on the other hand looks like they have no idea about the hardware they are offering for sale, and that is BAAAD.

I also still do not see any warnings about fragility of the device on their website. I don't see any advice about the damage that might be caused by twisting of the device, pressure put on it (when in cover) and such. Nothing.

I can only hope they do better in nuclear power field... If they ever build those power plants outside of France, and there are problems (as it usually happens), how are you going to send them in to France for service??? And is it going to be cost-effective??? Seriously, bad customer service lost French lots of contracts, and is going to loose them more. Who wants advanced technology without service?

Dorota
Old 10-17-2008, 02:27 AM   #300
xharekx33
xharekx33 doesn't litterxharekx33 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader - Cybook (RIP - Misterious Broken Screen)
Quote:
You're equally likely to break a Sony or an Astak as a Gen3. Both use the same, equally-fragile, screen, as does the Gen3.
ok, but some arent made from plastic that bends and allows for misterious screen breakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Amen. I'm in fact waiting for my new Sony Reader. So long Cybook, and thanks for all the fish
xharekx33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, cybook, screen