Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 03:18 AM   #196
jinibiza
jinibiza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/iPad/Iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All I can say is that my experience radically differs from yours, John. Mine probably falls ~3ft to the (carpeted) floor at least twice a week (in its case, of course) precisely because I regularly do fall asleep while reading in bed. It also travels daily with my to work in my briefcase. Two different Gen3's have done this for the best part of a year, and have come through completely "unscathed".

Mine does, however, NEVER leave its case. I think the case is essential.
I am banking on my experience being similar to yours in the future. Your point about the case is the most important advice to give regarding protection of the device. I believe mine broke (in my briefcase) because it wasn't in its case. - Unfortunately, Pixmania were not able to ship the case when I bought the reader, so I had no choice, except to leave it in it's box.

John
jinibiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 AM   #197
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinibiza View Post
I am banking on my experience being similar to yours in the future. Your point about the case is the most important advice to give regarding protection of the device. I believe mine broke (in my briefcase) because it wasn't in its case. - Unfortunately, Pixmania were not able to ship the case when I bought the reader, so I had no choice, except to leave it in it's box.

John
That's the key to it, I think. The Gen3 is very vulnerable without the case. I really wish that it was supplied as standard with the machine (as, I'm pleased to see, W.H.Smith's are doing).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #198
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I think that it's definitely more protected in it's case - but neither of mine left their cases, either, and both of them broke. I know I mentioned this before - the first of them could have potentially been my fault - I fell asleep reading. The device didn't fall off the bed, it was still next to me when I woke up, but I might have hit it in my sleep.

The second one just happened out of nowhere, with absolutely no possibility of trauma or stress. And no, I'd never carried it in a backpack or briefcase or anything with anything pressing on it!

I really do think that Bookeen needs to rethink the suitability of their device to 'regular' usage.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #199
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
I'll have to side with Harry on this.
My Cybook survived lately (in the cover, of course):
- 3000km in car with temperature changes that ruined my mercury thermometer
- every day to the beach (via car) for 15 days, in rather flimsy backpack with other bathing necessities
- reading on said beaches, in sun, after swimming, with Cybook covered with something to avoid direct sun while I bathe (but more often then not being completely in the sun due to my rather long swimming bouts)
Not to mention my honourable husband kept throwing it in the car despite my pleas about sensitive electronic devices being in it.
And... that's only 15 days of rather extreme use. Now, I'm carrying it in the same backpack to work - this time with other, no less damaging things. And going to work is either walking 25-45mins or going by BUS 10-25min.
Go figure.
I really think some units are more prone to breaking. And some people ignore of diminish the factor like children, pets, clumsy SO...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:21 AM   #200
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
I really think some units are more prone to breaking. And some people ignore of diminish the factor like children, pets, clumsy SO...

DrS
Hmmm..I have no pets, no SO in my house (I'm not saying she is clumsy or not ), no children. The unit is in is cover. It put it on the table in the evening when I was finished reading. The next evening I switched it on. I saw the opening screens and suddenly half of it went dead while I was looking at it. Nobody could see a fracture anywere. Even Bookeen said it nothing was to been seen when I sent them a picture. But as soon as they had the unit in Paris I got a mail that a fracture patern was visible and I had to pay 120 Euro to get it repaired.

The good thing was that they responded very fast and I got a new unit with 512 KB in stead of the 64 KB I had. And of course I got a new battery.

That took of the edge, but I'm not happy the way the broken screens are handled.
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 AM   #201
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Vesper,

I don't think it's a case of being "right" or "wrong" - I'm certainly not doubting anyone's claim that their Gen3's screen has broken without being "abused". I just don't think it happens to more than a tiny proportion of people (which obviously doesn't make it any less irksome for those to whom it does happen!).

I really would take care carrying the Gen3 in a backpack - that's an environment where it can easily have a "twisting" force applied to it which will break the screen. If you're going to carry it in a backpack I'd suggest putting it in a rigid container.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 AM   #202
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
I really would take care carrying the Gen3 in a backpack - that's an environment where it can easily have a "twisting" force applied to it which will break the screen. If you're going to carry it in a backpack I'd suggest putting it in a rigid container.
Thanks, but no. I don't have time to dig around to find a place that accepts credit cards and sends items via regular post. Oh... and sends them here, of course. I'm being careful and so far - so good.

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #203
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if I had a reader who's screen just broke on me, I'd be all over the company who made it and I would want it replaced under warranty. I would not take the excuse that I did it when I didn't. Since we know for a fact that some Gen3 screens do break without excess stress or abuse, why cannot Bookeen acknowledge this to be true as well? The only problem would be to distinguish a geb3 with a suddenly broken screen from a screen the user broke but claims otherwise.

I do think Bookeen should try to get Netronix to fix the design and use metal instead of plastic (like Sony does). And maybe these breaking screens would stop.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #204
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only problem would be to distinguish a geb3 with a suddenly broken screen from a screen the user broke but claims otherwise.
That's the whole core of the problem, Jon. If you've ever worked in a user support role, as I have, you'll know that a very significant proportion of users think nothing of lying if they feel that they'll get further by doing so. How do you separate the liers from the minority of users who perhaps genuinely have got a "spontaneous" breakage?
Old 09-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #205
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
That's the whole core of the problem, Jon. If you've ever worked in a user support role, as I have, you'll know that a very significant proportion of users think nothing of lying if they feel that they'll get further by doing so. How do you separate the liers from the minority of users who perhaps genuinely have got a "spontaneous" breakage?
But that something is hard to do is no excuse for not replacing faulty units. And as somebody pointed out, companies usually have insurances for these kind of things.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #206
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Aside from Cybooks/Netronix readers, I'm not sure I'm reading that other devices are having a similar rate of screen breakage here on the forums.

Doesn't that indicate something about the Netronix device?

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #207
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do think Bookeen should try to get Netronix to fix the design and use metal instead of plastic (like Sony does). And maybe these breaking screens would stop.
Why do you say that? Did you know why planes, the BIG Airbus 380 is made out of plastic? Because it is stronger and lighter than the aluminium.

So, by default metal isn't always stronger than plastic. It really depends what kind of plastic and what kind of metal.

BTW: I have seen messages here from Sony owners that their screen broke when they didn't "knowingly" put any stress on it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #208
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Aside from Cybooks/Netronix readers, I'm not sure I'm reading that other devices are having a similar rate of screen breakage here on the forums.

Doesn't that indicate something about the Netronix device?

-Jeff
All devices suffer broken screens - do a search of the forums. I've certainly seen no evidence that the Gen3 is suffering more than other devices.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #209
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But that something is hard to do is no excuse for not replacing faulty units. And as somebody pointed out, companies usually have insurances for these kind of things.
I have to agree with tompe. Sure, some customers lie. But I don't think that taking the customer being dishonest as the default position is a proper (or smart, in the long term) way to run a business.

As I've said before, I really enjoy my Cybook -- and appreciate the difficulties of being a small company. I've been there myself. However, my next reader will almost certainly not be a Cybook, based upon what I've seen of their service and support.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #210
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinibiza View Post

I strongly believe that Bookeen should replace broken screens FOC unless there is evidence of substantial damage to the case. If the numbers are so large that this creates a profits problem for Bookeen, then they should stop selling until they have re-designed the product to withstand normal wear and tear. I think if anyone actually challenged Bookeen in court, Bookeen would lose. There is no warning on their site or in the manual about how fragile these things are. I believe that if you are aware of the fragility of these devices, and you take the necessary care, they will give a decent lifetime's service. That's what I'm banking on.

John
I am 100% with you on warning issue, but I don't believe that cared for Cybook will give you a decent lifetime. I really cared well for mine, despite the lack of warning, as even from he pictures you can see it's fragile. I asked Cybook support about the fragility warning on the website, since they have to be aware of the problem. They ignored my questions, and there is no indication that they are gong to post any warnings (that would certainly negatively impact their business). I do believe that there must be a design/production problem, and is pure luck whether you get a decent one, or one with a problem. I will steer clear of the Cybook from now on. I don't want a reader to last forever, but I want 2-3 problem-free years out of the device. And I MEAN problem-free, after which it can die, and I will replace it with a new one without complaints (although with regrets, certainly). More years would be better (you spend time on setting it up to your specs, and I'm at the point that I value my time, and don't want to spend all of it setting things up an none of it using what I set up), but anything less than two is unacceptable.

I also believe that if a class action was instigated against Cybook, they would be in serious trouble, as there is enough evidence that the device is faulty.

I am even rethinking Sony, as I dug out of the basement my old RCA reader, which is about 8 years old, for the past 4 years has been stored in a ziplock baggie in the basement, never had any protective case, and was carted all over the world, used on the beach without any protection, fell down hundreds of times, survived September 11 (I was working two blocks from WTC, and had reader with me always), was munched on by my hamster, has numerous battle scars to prove it was living a full life, AND IS STILL IN WORKING CONDITION (was I surprised!!!). Admittedly, the screen is backlit, and storage capacity is not that great, but reformatting the books is about as annoying as it would be for Sony reader, I don't have to worry about protective cases, being extra careful, or any of that nonsense. It's heavier than Cybook or Sony, but not as heavy as a hardcover book, so it's OK. Battery life probably sucks (I don't remember), but on the flip-side it can be used while charging, so there. It's hard to read in direct sunlight, but the winter is coming, so reading on the beach will be out for a few months, and backlit screens have their good side in the dark winter months. I think I will wait and see what comes next, something with a little more functionality, folder system, more native formats, more sturdy. Next generation, hopefully. Maybe for Christmas, maybe in the spring. I can only hope RCA reader and Axim will survive until then.

BTW, I totally forgot how resistant that old reader was. It had rubbery protection surface (and not a thin one either!), and was thick. Nothing damaged it! While I understand the need for a light, extra portable reader, maybe the design should be rethought - if the screen is that fragile it should have a proper support and protection, aside from the case, which did no good to me, anyhow. I am sure a few extra ounces will be better that this fragility. It is not Murano glass, and it's function is not to stand on the shelf untouched.

Dorota

Last edited by dki; 09-19-2008 at 11:06 AM.
dki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, cybook, screen