Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #181
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
hello albertoLP.

I don't own a Cybook Gen3, but I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I own a different device and am very happy with it, but I would also like to own a Cybook Gen3 -- I still want one.

On a lighter note, I want to welcome you to MobileRead. There are many people here who will give you helpful comments and advice.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune with your Reader.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #182
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
Hello again,

HarryT, I understand you are a huge cybook fan, and up to a point I was too. If you read my post, you would know why I am not anymore - this device broke when no pressure whatsoever was applied to it, and it was just laying on a table in it's protective cover. Booken will not acknowledge that, they keep telling me it was mechanical damage. I definitely think that this is production/design error in the device itself - it's not able to withstand the regular use - even gentle one - I always had it in it's cover. I never pressed directly on a screen - its not a touch screen, so there is no point. For the past two weeks I have been dealing with Booken support, and the only answer they have is send the device back and we look to see what is wrong. Of course they claim broken screen. They will not provide controller software fix, even though that would not hurt if there is indeed a broken screen issue. I still cannot get over how was the screen broken while the book was on the table. And I did carry it in my bag, however I don't cart any heavy items in my bag, and, of course, cybook was in it's cover.
Like albertoLP, I will not send my cybook for repairs - it would be ridiculously expensive (I live in US) - actually probably more costly than a new Sony505, and probably take a month or so. In addition to which it would probably break in another couple of months. I cannot afford to fix cybook every few months to the tune of $300 or more, so... It's goodbye cybook. I would strongly recommend that if you live in US, you steer clear of cybook, and possibly other european devices that have no service in US. This technology is just too new, there are too many problems, and repairs are too expensive and time consuming. I will leave dealing with Booken support to French, maybe they are used to this kind of treatment. I don't want this. I'll get Sony505, again convert my ebooks (it does seem to be fairly easy with calibre), deal with polish font issues (I just had my cybook set up and all the issues resolved to my satisfaction a month before it broke, that was a waste of time and effort!), and also I will probably get an insurance on this device (Walmart seems to offer one, as well as the best price). I will also get an e-caddy in addition to regular protective cover. I don't know what else can I do. I really would like to be able to use Sony for more that a few months... At least until they come up with a device that has windows as os, a touch screen and open format. And does not break when touched gently.

Last edited by dki; 09-16-2008 at 10:35 AM.
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #183
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cart my 505 around in my bag. I do touch the screen to wipe it clean with a microfiber cloth. I keep it in it's original cover that came with it. I've only dropped it once a small height onto the carpet. I've had my 505 for almost a year.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:26 AM   #184
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dki View Post
In addition to which it would probably break in another couple of months.
With the very greatest respect, dki, I am sorry to hear that your Gen3 broke, but there is no reason to suppose that it will "probably break again". The overwhelming majority of Gen3 owners, as you can see from this forum, do not experience that issue. The statistics would suggest that you are highly unlikely to have another problem.

If a Sony is what you've decided to get, however, then I wish you success with it. I used to have one myself, before deciding that a Gen3 met my needs better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #185
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With the very greatest respect, dki, I am sorry to hear that your Gen3 broke, but there is no reason to suppose that it will "probably break again". The overwhelming majority of Gen3 owners, as you can see from this forum, do not experience that issue. The statistics would suggest that you are highly unlikely to have another problem.
If that is true that mean that usage does not matter in this case so Bookeen should replace the broken screens.

I think Amazon have the right approach to just replace the unit and take the goodwill.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #186
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If that is true that mean that usage does not matter in this case so Bookeen should replace the broken screens.

I think Amazon have the right approach to just replace the unit and take the goodwill.
In cases of controller failure, then I entirely agree with you - it should be replaced under warranty. Physical fractures of the screen are more problematic - it's probably a reasonable assumption that they've been caused, in the majority of cases, by abuse. Trouble is, how do you separate out those from the small minority which might be "spontaneous"?

I'd certainly like to see more warranty replacements, I agree with you there. I'm not sure that a small company like Bookeen can afford to take the hit that Amazon can, though, and replace "all" broken machines. I suppose it depends how many there are, and that's something that we don't know.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #187
Disconnect
Disconnect began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
I'd certainly like to see more warranty replacements, I agree with you there. I'm not sure that a small company like Bookeen can afford to take the hit that Amazon can, though, and replace "all" broken machines. I suppose it depends how many there are, and that's something that we don't know.
Most companies take insurance to handle things like unexpected increases in warranty returns. (And then they stand behind their products better because of that coverage, and because of the good press - public and personal - it generates.)

FYI Booksonboard says it looks like my last one was a controller failure. So I'm on #3 in less than 2 months (first one arrived ~6/26). And I'm literally too afraid of breaking it to take it out of the house until I find a proper impact-resistant foam-lined case for it.

What a waste of $550 (I got the 3 year 'accidental damage' plan which is now worthless since it failed so quickly the first time.) I've already started talking friends out of getting cybooks (2 so far).
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #188
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
Quote:
That strikes me as another reason to buy one from WH Smiths. As a retailer, they are responsible for warranty repairs, they're a large company, and subject to UK law. I can't see them arguing if there's no evidence of physical damage.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #189
Disconnect
Disconnect began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljones View Post
That strikes me as another reason to buy one from WH Smiths. As a retailer, they are responsible for warranty repairs, they're a large company, and subject to UK law. I can't see them arguing if there's no evidence of physical damage.
The problem is, broken glass -is- evidence. And thats what 90% of the breaks are.

(If I'd thought about it I would have just used the credit card protection to get it returned or refunded the first time since it was within 30 days. But I thought "no, books on board won't screw me out of my one-time replacement policy..." They did swap it quickly that time, but so much for the $99 'damage' policy. I saved some cash vs a new screen but...)

Random side note, just ordered parts for this case. Hopefully it'll be good enough...
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #190
jinibiza
jinibiza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/iPad/Iphone
Having experienced a broken screen after 3 days of careful use, I do firmly believe that the Cybook is not really yet suitable for purpose. It's a great reader, and I immediately bought another after being refunded by Pixmania, but I am treating it like a moth with leprosy. It is probably 10 - 20 times more delicate than "normal" electronic devices such as laptop PCs, MP3 players, cameras and mobile phones. It should be just as rugged as any of these in my opinion. Only buy one of these if you are confident you will never fall asleep while using it and let it drop to the floor, and take great care at all other times.

I strongly believe that Bookeen should replace broken screens FOC unless there is evidence of substantial damage to the case. If the numbers are so large that this creates a profits problem for Bookeen, then they should stop selling until they have re-designed the product to withstand normal wear and tear. I think if anyone actually challenged Bookeen in court, Bookeen would lose. There is no warning on their site or in the manual about how fragile these things are. I believe that if you are aware of the fragility of these devices, and you take the necessary care, they will give a decent lifetime's service. That's what I'm banking on.

John
jinibiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:54 PM   #191
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinibiza View Post
Having experienced a broken screen after 3 days of careful use, I do firmly believe that the Cybook is not really yet suitable for purpose. It's a great reader, and I immediately bought another after being refunded by Pixmania, but I am treating it like a moth with leprosy. It is probably 10 - 20 times more delicate than "normal" electronic devices such as laptop PCs, MP3 players, cameras and mobile phones. It should be just as rugged as any of these in my opinion. Only buy one of these if you are confident you will never fall asleep while using it and let it drop to the floor, and take great care at all other times.

I strongly believe that Bookeen should replace broken screens FOC unless there is evidence of substantial damage to the case. If the numbers are so large that this creates a profits problem for Bookeen, then they should stop selling until they have re-designed the product to withstand normal wear and tear. I think if anyone actually challenged Bookeen in court, Bookeen would lose. There is no warning on their site or in the manual about how fragile these things are. I believe that if you are aware of the fragility of these devices, and you take the necessary care, they will give a decent lifetime's service. That's what I'm banking on.

John
But Bookeen *can't* fix broken screens FoC because Netronix *won't*. (And Bookeen either has to *buy* the replacement screens from Netronix at about $150-per-screen/controller package or send the broken devices *to* Netronix to have Netronix fix them. ) Bookeen simply cannot afford to fix them FoC - to do so for even 15% of the sold units would put Bookeen into negative revenue.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:12 PM   #192
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Having experienced a broken screen after 3 days of careful use, I do firmly believe that the Cybook is not really yet suitable for purpose. It's a great reader, and I immediately bought another after being refunded by Pixmania,
So Pixmania gave all the money back and did not argue?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 02:25 AM   #193
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Only buy one of these if you are confident you will never fall asleep while using it and let it drop to the floor, and take great care at all other times.
All I can say is that my experience radically differs from yours, John. Mine probably falls ~3ft to the (carpeted) floor at least twice a week (in its case, of course) precisely because I regularly do fall asleep while reading in bed. It also travels daily with me to work in my briefcase. Two different Gen3's have done this for the best part of a year, and have come through completely "unscathed".

Mine does, however, NEVER leave its case. I think the case is essential.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #194
comtrjl
Connoisseur
comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.comtrjl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Mine probably falls ~3ft to the (carpeted) floor at least twice a week (in its case, of course) precisely because I regularly do fall asleep while reading in bed
You must be reading the wrong kind of books ..

bob
comtrjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:09 AM   #195
jinibiza
jinibiza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/iPad/Iphone
"So Pixmania gave all the money back and did not argue?"

I actually had awful problems - see earlier in this thread - but they did refund all my money. They didn't argue about whether they should refund, only about whether or not they had received the return!

John
jinibiza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, cybook, screen