Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

The section in question:

"Unless we mutually agree otherwise, we will use DRM in
connection with the download of the eBooks, and we may use any
available digital book DRM technolog"

...simply says that the default is for Amazon to apply DRM. Hugh Howey is a prime example of no DRM on any of his Amazon distributed books.

"Amazon Insists on DRM" is codswallop!

Exactly.

It's the default, that's all it says. And that's the way it works when using KDP.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
You write a boilerplate for the most common case, saving time, that's its purpose. One can be agnostic about something that nevertheless has a prevailing opinion e.g. publishers wanting DRM.

Personally I'm agnostic on Bezos' agnosticism on this!
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Of course Bezos insisted on DRM. He doesn't want anybody to buy ebooks from his site and use them with another device not made by his company.
All those other devices I can buy from amazon and install a kindle app on, you mean?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
So many people have told me that I am wrong (including an engineer who has years of experience in negotiating contracts) that I am throwing in the towel.
At least you are willing to admit you might have called it wrong and aren't continuing to argue black is white immaterial of what everyone else thinks! That's quite refreshing.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #20
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Of course Bezos insisted on DRM. He doesn't want anybody to buy ebooks from his site and use them with another device not made by his company. And he doesn't want anybody to buy ebooks from another company and use them with device made by his company. He wants a closed system in which he can control everything.
He may not want people buying books elsewhere to read on a Kindle, but the fact that Kindle apps are available for many platforms suggests that he doesn't care what device you use.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #21
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Of course Bezos insisted on DRM. He doesn't want anybody to buy ebooks from his site and use them with another device not made by his company. And he doesn't want anybody to buy ebooks from another company and use them with device made by his company. He wants a closed system in which he can control everything.
I've bought plenty of DRM-free books from Amazon (usually small publishers or indies who understand that DRM is a bit pointless), and for those which aren't, there's always "Alf magic" anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
He may not want people buying books elsewhere to read on a Kindle, but the fact that Kindle apps are available for many platforms suggests that he doesn't care what device you use.
Quite probably something to do with them making very little money on the Kindles themselves and far more from content sales

Last edited by Yolina; 10-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The author of this piece appears to be astoundingly ignorant of what boilerplate contracts actually are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #23
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Quite probably something to do with them making very little money on the Kindles themselves and far more from content sales
I suspect that is exactly why :-)
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Even though that contract was specifically made so that I would go over to that second company, it still stated that the first company also had to agree. So, I think it's just a standard way to put such choices in a contract.
Yeah - it's just a thing with me and contracts. Having had to be part of several contract negotiations as an IT supplier I tend to zoom in on wording like that even though I know it's pretty common type of contract language.

I always get worried that somewhere down the track the laid back language turns into the hammer with which a client bludgeons you to death.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:

He does this by first insisting on DRM and second by insisting on a proprietary format no other company uses.

This is why I refuse to buy Kindle Fire or any other tablets that use closed system in which one must buy apps from the device manufacturer in order to use them with the device. We are losing control with Kindle e-reader already and I don't want to buy another device where Amazon or Apple can pull the string on me.
He Doesn't insist on DRM. I've bought a lot of ebooks from Amazon without DRM and not just public domain books.

I've also bought a lot of ebooks from other sites like Baen that work just fine on all my kindles.

I don't even need a Amazon device to read them. There are a lot of free apps for computers, phones and non-amazon tablets that I can read them with.

It's hard to see how he could get more open as long as the publishers insist on DRM before they will allow him to sell their books. The publishers are the only ones that prevent an open system. Well if all DRM was removed by the publishers device makers would still have to program the ability to read Mobi files on their devices as well as epub and txt, ect. Easy enough to do if they wanted. Or people could just use calibre to convert formats, also easy.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #26
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
All those other devices I can buy from amazon and install a kindle app on, you mean?
Yes, and also all those other devices that you can buy from other places and install a kindle app on. I don't think I've ever bought a device from Amazon (certainly not a device on which I read) yet I have the Kindle app on all my devices (on which I read).
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #27
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
You write a boilerplate for the most common case, saving time, that's its purpose. One can be agnostic about something that nevertheless has a prevailing opinion e.g. publishers wanting DRM.

Personally I'm agnostic on Bezos' agnosticism on this!
Or sometimes you write boilerplate for the most comprehensive case. Of course my assumption is that if DRM isn't specified in the contract then DRM won't be applied to the book. Maybe I'm wrong. If that's the case (non-specification means Amazon uses DRM) then DRM is the default. Otherwise the default is no DRM & the most comprehensive case specifies that it will be used, hence its inclusion in the boilerplate contract.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
You're, IMHO, paraphrasing Jeff Bezos inaccurately. He (according to the article) actually says:

“If the rights owner wants DRM, we do DRM. If the rights owner doesn’t want DRM, we don’t do DRM.”
Which leaves out what they do when the rights holder doesn't care. In which case, based on the boiler plate, they take a pro DRM stance.

Allowing the publisher to have the final say in DRM or not is perfectly fine, but when the publisher doesn't care, it'd be much better for consumers if Amazon didn't apply DRM. Their current drm as the default, is not a pro-consumer stance and they've been quite careful whenever they discuss DRM to not mention their default stance is pro DRM unless the publisher requests a non-drm contract.

Quote:
IMHO, a person could legitimately imply from the above quote that the "rights owner" is assumed to "want DRM" if they don't state that they don't want DRM.
Or that they want drm free if they don't state that they want drm

What the publisher asks for isn't really the issue, Amazon's default stance when the publisher doesn't care, is. However, it's not really a big problem, as long as publisher that don't want DRM can sell their books as easily as those who do on Amazon, then it's a case of pressuring individual publishers.

The most annoying issue imo is when Amazon removed the ability to see which books were DRM free.

Last edited by JoeD; 10-13-2013 at 12:56 PM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #29
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Actually, we don't know how it relates to a publisher's wishes to have (or have no) DRMs, since this contract is not between a publisher and Amazon, but between a distributor and Amazon.

This contract's specifies in no way that the publisher gets a say on DRMs, nor that the distributor gets what he asks for if he asks against DRMs.

Moreso, the Publisher has NO way to know, if DRMs are put, where they come from, since the Distributor may not tell him about the contract's content.

I'd say (but I'm quite partial on the subject) that this almost guarantees ebooks managed by this distributor, to be sold with DRMs.
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
At least you are willing to admit you might have called it wrong and aren't continuing to argue black is white immaterial of what everyone else thinks! That's quite refreshing.
I don't have a principle to defend and I don't have an example to point at so i don't really have much of a case.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote