Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
GottaBeMobile video review of the iRex Iliad

A 15 minute video review of the iRex Iliad by GottaBeMobile is on blip.tv. If you have never seen an iLiad in person this gives a good idea of what it is like, but the reviewer clearly does not use it routinely. An earlier Video Head to Head of Kindle and Reader got mixed reviews here.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Definitely doesn't use it routinely, but she has a good understanding of most of the functions and has obviously done her homework on 3rd party apps and whatnot. Overall, it's not a bad review.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
IMHO that video is more an "independent presentation" than a review. Thats not bad per se, it shows very well what the iLiad can and can't. Like in newspaper they say cleanly keep seperate fact report and opinion. This was a fact report, and it did well by leaving out opinion.

Oh yes I agree here, it was sweet to see how she learned the meaning of the buttons by hearth
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:21 AM   #4
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
An excellent review, convinced me

Thanks for that, I have been contemplating buying an Iliad for some time, I already use a SONY 500 and a Cybook Gen 3, both quite extensively. However I wondered about the extra size of the Iliad and the larger cost in comparison to the others, but having seen the review and with most of the features highlighted, it is enough to convince me that this product is worth the extra. I find the shortcomings of the Cybook such as the sticky control button and the lack of page numbers to be irrittating, although I like the device very much. And the stupidity of the non-availability of the Sony formated books outside the US is somewhat nonsensical and extremely time consuming to overcome, but it also is a good unit, extremely responsive (However I cant say much for their bookstores functionality, nor Mobipockets come to that)
Here at last is something that overcomes both these problems as well as being avaiable in Australia, meaning that I do not have to worry about service or allied problems which has always been a concern at the back of my mind. I am not even sure of the usefulness of ihe Iiad's notation function, but the ability to store items in folders is pretty darn useful plus the large page turning bar and a few other things. Maybe storage in accessible folders is available in the others but I cannot work it out.

Anyway lets see if it is as good as I hope, I have outlayed just under $1000.00 Australian for the reader and its leather case which is just about the combined proce of the Sony and the Cybook

Heres hoping.

John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
parryl
Enthusiast
parryl began at the beginning.

Device: iliad / nokia 6600 slide
very cool review .

so far the price of the iliad seems to be the problem for alot for folks .

any new that irex will reduce the price ? this is not the first review ending with comments that the price is to much right ?
parryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by parryl View Post
very cool review .

so far the price of the iliad seems to be the problem for alot for folks .

any new that irex will reduce the price ? this is not the first review ending with comments that the price is to much right ?
Who knows, but AFAIK a WACOM tablet of this size you pay aprox 250€. So if you take the amazon kindle and take +250 to add WACOM ability you roughly are at the iLiad.

IMHO its the underlying technologies that need to get cheaper... more than iRex. I think iRex should position itself in the upper market, and add features and cool stuff that isn't available on the cheap devices, instead of trying to compete with Amazon on the low end market.

I'd even had paid a bit more for it to get for example the pen-gap fixed...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote