Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
Renaming filename *.epub based on meta data fields?

I like to normalize all my epub-filenames *.epub based on meta data fields.

My wish is such a pattern:

author surname, author forename - title.epub

Is there any way to realize that with Calibre?

If not: may be you like to take it as a suggestion

In the meta data interface I only found an option to do the opposite of what I like to do:

you can "guess" meta data fields from an existing filename.

Thanks for your help.
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You cannot control the names that Calibre uses to store ebooks inside its library filestore.

You CAN control the format used to export books from the Calibre library using the Save to Disk option or to send it to a device using Send to Device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Yes, calibre has very powerful functions to save books to folders and files named after metadata fields. Even custom metadata fields that you create yourself.

Save to disk and adjust the save template.

Also for setting metadata from filenames.

And even for changing metadata on the fly to allow you to add series information to the title if the book format doesn't support series information in dedicated metadata fields (mobi).

And lots more...

Have a look in the manual!

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post

You CAN control the format used to export books from the Calibre library using the Save to Disk option
Do you mean "pattern of the filename" with "format"?

If so:
Than I have to do the following steps to solve my task, right?

1 Import all my original epubs to Calibre library

2 Export all my books to the disk

3 Delete all my original epubs from the disk

4 Delete the complete library in Calibre

5 Import all renamed epubs from the disk to the library
Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
No, this means Calibre manage filenames in the database as it like to do. You can’t change this. Take a look in the manual section FAQ for further explanations.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
ibu
Addict

@Divingduck
Thanks for the clarification.
That means in fact: I can't solve my task with Calibre.

Do you know any other tool, which can rename files based on the content of meta data of epubs?

And, independent of that:
Do you think it would be nice to have an option in a future version of Calibre to rename files?
Like as e.g. in the powerful tagging tool for MP3s: MP3Tag.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu View Post
@Divingduck
Thanks for the clarification.
That means in fact: I can't solve my task with Calibre.
No it means that once you have your books in calibre with correct metadata you can export the books using the metadata to name the directories and file name in virtually any combination of metadata you like.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
ibu
Addict

@DoctorOhh
But that's what I wrote in posting #4.

Sorry, I think I still don't understand how I can create just filenames with Calibres (not directories).
Old 08-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You start by adding your books to calibre. Make sure that metadata is uniform. Always the exact same spelling for each author. Fix series information and covers and so on. Add tags to help finding books.

The books will be stored in the calibre library and can be efficiently accessed from the GUI. You can create virtual libraries for genres and rate the books and a lot more.

You can then save copies of the books to disk, and then rename the files, using metadata fields, as you please using the save template. Either both using folders and filenames or only using filenames.

In a similar way you can send copies of the books to a reading device.

What you can't do is change how the books are stored and named in the calibre library. If you try calibre will loose track of the books and you can no longer access them from the GUI. The books stored in the calibre library are NOT intended to be accessed directly from file managers, only from the GUI. This often cause great confusion and frustration for new users not used to using the calibre GUI to access books.

If you only intend to access the books as the new renamed files, then you can delete them from calibre after you saved copies of them to disk. But it may be a good idea to keep them in the calibre library so you can make sure that you don't add duplicates and so on.

If you experiment a bit you may even find that you don't want to rename and save the books to disk at all, it is much easier to access the books in the calibre library directly from the GUI.

Last edited by Adoby; 08-04-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, I think I still don't understand how I can create just filenames with Calibres (not directories).
Initial adding of books to calibre creates a database of books in the form of directories and files. This structure is not user configurable. If you choose to use the GUI then as you add books this structure will expand. If you ignore this structure you will be able to use the GUI once you have updated the info on the books to export the books in the format you want.

If the library calibre creates bothers you then maybe you can use the command line interface to accomplish what you are seeking.

Good Luck.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
ibu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
You start by adding your books to calibre. Make sure that metadata is uniform. Always the exact same spelling for each author. Fix series information and covers and so on. Add tags to help finding books.

The books will be stored in the calibre library and can be efficiently accessed from the GUI. You can create virtual libraries for genres and rate the books and a lot more.

You can then save copies of the books to disk, and then rename the files, using metadata fields, as you please using the save template. Either both using folders and filenames or only using filenames.
Exactly that I wrote in post #4.

Quote:

What you can't do is change how the books are stored and named in the calibre library.
I know. And I don't want to change anything in that.

I just want to rename my original file names on the disk.

Quote:
If you try calibre will loose track of the books and you can no longer access them from the GUI. The books stored in the calibre library are NOT intended to be accessed directly from file managers, only from the GUI.
I understand that.
That's why I mentioned in post #4 the steps 3-5.
Quote:
If you experiment a bit you may even find that you don't want to rename and save the books to disk at all, it is much easier to access the books in the calibre library directly from the GUI.
I prefer it to have a "fall back" on my disk - which means:
a consistent pattern of file names for all epubs.

I'm not alone with that practice.
Many people who are tagging their MP3 music collections do the same.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
ibu
Addict

I changed the pattern of the "save to disk template" to {author_sort} - {title}.

Works perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

Now I only have to learn, which further optimizations of an epub are useful.

Than I can start to optimize all the original files.

And after that I will rebuild the complete Calibre library, based on these files.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
And after that I will rebuild the complete Calibre library, based on these files.
Whatever you want to accomplish can be done without this step.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #14
ibu
Addict

@DoctorOhh

OK, thanks for the hint. I thought, that Calibre needs the original path, because it does not copy the original file physically in it's database.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
@DoctorOhh

OK, thanks for the hint. I thought, that Calibre needs the original path, because it does not copy the original file physically in it's database.
Calibre keeps no record of the path to any files that are external to its own filestore.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote