Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #106
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
But really, I'd prefer to have a device that I DIDN'T have to root to make it work the way I want it to
You may want to try Onyx Boox i62 HD or M92, etc.

They have Cool Reader and FBReader installed in them out-of-the-box without any rooting or hacking.

If T1/T2 could not be routed and Cool Reader installed, I would buy Onyx Boox.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #107
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
That's amazing! I did use Coolreader, also FBreader, and Sony's reader, when it was rooted. I never had that volume of folders or books, and I only ever had a 2gb card in it. It just didn't satisfy me. I never liked any of the stock fonts, and I didn't feel it was fast going through the folders, and as I said, I experienced complete freezing quite a few times.

And I am to the point where I don't want to have to root and hack a reader to get it to do what I want it to do. So of the current lineup, only Kobo can be customized to *my* needs without hacking.

It will be interesting to see what Sony does. I like the look of the new case. But if it's the same software, same 2gb, no light, I won't be getting one.

I have considered replacing the card in the Kobo. That's as far as I've gone. Maybe I should try it with my Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
I have 6080 folders with 27000 books on one of my T1s.
It is fast and rock solid stable. Never any problems.
Navigating to the books is very fast and easy.

(I am using a pretty deep nested folder structure, so not all 6080 folders actualy contain books)

IMPORTANT NOTE: I do not use Sony reader and I do not allow Sony to index my books. Sony does not know I have 6 thousand folders with 30 thousand books in them.

I think that T2 is the best reader in the world and T1 is the second best.
If they are rooted with AMR installed on them, and with Cool Reader !!!
I personally currently own two T1s and three T2s and will not sell them, don't even ask.

BTW, you want 8 GB in Aura? You can have them.
Aura has a regular microSD card inside it, just like the external one you can insert additionally. You can replace it with a larger one. Quite a few people did.
Some even to 32 GB cards. Just like with Kobo Glo, the same thing.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #108
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Onyx was on my short-list, but kobo was easier to get here. I might give them a shot if Sony doesn't pan out.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #109
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I never liked any of the stock fonts
Actually, Amasis is on both T1 and T2 - the only font I use on any reader.
I just cant' find a #2 font. Amasis - and then nothing. Maybe Charis SIL far behind.

The thing is, Amasis may not be the prettiest font to look at,
but it is the most readable - I see words and not separate letters as with other fonts. Much easier and faster to read.

However, you can use any fonts you like in Cool Reader on T1/T2.
I tried lots of them - none came even close to Amasis.

Currently, on Aura I am using the native Amasis and I also added 12 more Amasis fonts modified by me. Because the Kobo Amasis does not support all the languages I need.

BTW, as I wrote above - you could consider Onyx Boox if you don't want to do any hacking. Cool Reader and FBReader officially provided and supported.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #110
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ONYX BOOX i62HD FIREFLY 8GB -- Yes! That looks perfect. I'll have to investigate it more. Maybe I'll get one for myself for Christmas.
Advert
Old 07-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #111
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
ONYX BOOX i62HD FIREFLY 8GB -- Yes! That looks perfect. I'll have to investigate it more. Maybe I'll get one for myself for Christmas.
If you figure out how to purchase one in the US, let me know! I've been looking at the Cybook in case Sony doesn't come out with a front light on the T3.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #112
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The main reason I ended up not getting one was that I saw a couple of reviews that said that the light on it wasn't very good. And there is no place to actually see one in the states before you buy it.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #113
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
If you figure out how to purchase one in the US, let me know! I've been looking at the Cybook in case Sony doesn't come out with a front light on the T3.
The ship to the US from their online store, but the shipping is 40 euros.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #114
parkher
Evangelist

I call it "an emergency light" - and then who cares how good it is.
If you need it for reading while commuting (the main reason to want an internal light, isn't it?) then it might be an issue.

I know somebody who bought Onyx Boox M92 in the US. I think from ereader-store.de - its owner (Booxtor) is active here on forums and very helpful.

Actually, better to check with Booxtor what software is in a standard Onyx Boox reader.
Because ereader-store.de (ereader-store.eu) is selling (also?) the Booxtor Edition readers, at least M92. He even demonstrated multi-tasking on them, etc.

Last edited by parkher; 07-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #115
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
The ship to the US from their online store, but the shipping is 40 euros.
Wow. Forget that! I'll keep it in mind...but...doubtful I'll want to pay that much.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #116
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow. Forget that! I'll keep it in mind...but...doubtful I'll want to pay that much.
Yeah, they say those are "estimated" but I'm pretty sure by this point they know that's about what it costs or they wouldn't have made the list in the first place. I've had larger items shipped from Europe for a LOT less money. Makes me wonder what packing materials they use. Virgin Cayuga duck feathers? Packing pillows filled with unicorn farts?
Old 07-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #117
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll have to look into shipping to Denmark. I have a friend there who begs for our delicious junk food that isn't allowed to be sold in Denmark and we send "care" packages back and forth several times a year (the one to me is filled with chocolate ). So it might be possible to have it shipped to him, and he just packs it up in a chocolate shipment to me, and avoid the Cybook high shipping cost.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #118
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'll have to look into shipping to Denmark. I have a friend there who begs for our delicious junk food that isn't allowed to be sold in Denmark and we send "care" packages back and forth several times a year (the one to me is filled with chocolate ). So it might be possible to have it shipped to him, and he just packs it up in a chocolate shipment to me, and avoid the Cybook high shipping cost.
https://onyx-boox.com/support/shipment-and-returns/ - Denmark estimated at 15 euros.

(I really need to learn how to do the euro symbol or stop being lazy and use charmap.)
Old 07-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #119
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

That's still high, but better than 40 Euros.

And I added some symbols like € and £ to my G15 and G11 keyboard macros, works very well.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #120
parkher
Evangelist

At ereader-store.de I get that shipping to US is free (UPS).
It does not say "free" but has nothing on that line, and then the total price is not increased.

Maybe only not working correctly? You need to ask Buxtor, he will be able to tell exactly how much. He goes as far as sometimes passes over the reader through his friends for you to avoid shipping costs.