Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #136
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I can't imagine ever being able to legitimately obtain 27,000 books unless I were to quit my job and spend my time on the hunt for every free book that it is possible to find.
You can thank me for saving your job - no hunting required:
just go to Project Gutenberg and download 45,000 books

Last edited by parkher; 07-05-2013 at 01:57 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #137
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Sony aren't even going to let you root the device, never mind include a norefresh mode in Android. I'll hold out hope, but Sony is looking like a dead-end for rooting.

Yeah, you can run norefresh on the T1 (and the T2?). Hopefully you don't trash the thing rooting it.

I don't find the flashing bothers me that much. It did at first, not so much now, though I would like to have norefresh.

It is possible on the Nook, but I couldn't get it run consistently on my version of the firmware (1.2.0 I think). It actually worked a couple of times, but I gave up eventually.

They talk about installing a custom kernel, etc, etc. I can't be bothered. It does what I need. I might try again and get it working at some point. It would be nice, but it might impact battery.

If you're rooting a nook, you need to do some stuff to make the battery not get sucked up. The main thing is some process (cell standby?) that eats the battery. I deleted the apk and it was okay.
Thanks a ton for the info
I need this feature, so i am going to look around and see which reader will suit my purpose: T1/T2 or Nook
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #138
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Sir, on PRS-T2 you can create a maximum of 99 folders (or shelves as we call them).
I have created exactly 0 (zero) shelves so far on my 5 T1/T2 readers.
I mean real folders (directories), not shelves.
I do not use shelves.
I am using Cool Reader 3 and it has its own internal file manager to navigate real folders. Furthermore, it has its own internal list of the last read books, and you can choose any book in that list and get directly to its folder - it is a very convenient shortcut to get the next book in a series, or just to get to the general vicinity of where you want to be.
Cool Reader also allows to search for books, but I don't use that feature much, because it requires to type in at least some letters and I type only on highly ergonomic keyboards, I do not touch screens. That's why I hate Aura so much. They forgot buttons!!!

Last edited by parkher; 07-05-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #139
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
That sounds nice, parkher. I didn't root my T2 so far. My Reader has firmware 1.0.05 now so that's not possible anymore. If I get my second Reader back I'll have a look what firmware it has and then I'll try some stuff. I've read a lot about Cool Reader so far, I'm really curious to see it myself someday.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #140
HoraceWimp
Enthusiast
HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The buttons on Sony's x50 line of readers were ideal to me. They were small enough that having them didn't really add much to the size of the reader and unobtrusive, yet gave you full control over everything.
Yes. I liked the 650 and at the end it came down to a choice between that and the T2. I went for the T2 in the end for the wi-fi connectivity and slightly more modern design.

I just think Sony is missing a trick here with these control buttons. Whilst they are there quite clearly for functional reasons that shouldn’t mean they can’t be more sympathetically incorporated into the overall casing design. The overall ergonomic feel of the T2 is very nice—except for those clunky, hard, shiny buttons.

It’s not even as if the function of those five buttons is going to be hard to forget. Without even looking at my T2 I can remember the two buttons on the left are for page back and forward, the middle the home button, the next one the back one step and the one on the far right for bringing up preference panels.

Why do they have to be so prominent and glaring in bright silver? The whole device would have been so much nicer had they been toned down, the button material changed into a rubberised one, in a matching colour to the case and perhaps the symbols indented into them in case you did forget what they were for.

It’s a shame—Sony could elevate their products into being really nice ones with a little more thought and care in the product design area. It’s the attention to these types of little details that turn run of the mill, average products into ones people really want to buy and enjoy using. This is particularly important in such a hotly contested market as ereaders.
HoraceWimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #141
parkher
Evangelist

Quote:
That sounds nice, parkher. I didn't root my T2 so far. My Reader has firmware 1.0.05 now so that's not possible anymore. If I get my second Reader back I'll have a look what firmware it has and then I'll try some stuff. I've read a lot about Cool Reader so far, I'm really curious to see it myself someday.
Yes, when buying T2 it is the most important thing to check what firmware it has.

As to Cool Reader 3, I am using specifically builds made by jotas, I like them more, even though they might be a bit behind the official line of android Cool Reader as it comes to various unnecessary features.
But they support T2 buttons 100%. Also they have some improvements (some of them asked by me).

Here it is:

http://www.lectoreselectronicos.com/...k-Touch-(jotas)

It is also very good for landscape orientation. Again, jotas made some specific changes (reordering some things on some screens, so that things that are really needed are directly accessible) to help out people (like me) who use landscape on T2.

Last edited by parkher; 07-05-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #142
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
I've tried several ereaders on a phone and on Nook STR, and I've settled on Coolreader as the best. Orion is a very good and little known PDF reader designed for e-ink.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #143
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceWimp View Post
I just think Sony is missing a trick here with these control buttons. Whilst they are there quite clearly for functional reasons that shouldn’t mean they can’t be more sympathetically incorporated into the overall casing design. The overall ergonomic feel of the T2 is very nice—except for those clunky, hard, shiny buttons.
I agree, but as it stands, Sony is the only e-reader with buttons anymore! Buttons alone are a good marketing move. It's a unique selling point.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #144
khahoon
Connoisseur
khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.khahoon can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: generic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I've tried several ereaders on a phone and on Nook STR, and I've settled on Coolreader as the best. Orion is a very good and little known PDF reader designed for e-ink.
I also like Orion`s pdf manual cropping features. The best I have seen
khahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #145
parkher
Evangelist

I haven't tried a pdf on my T1/T2 yet - I always convert it to something else first.

Anyway, try Cool Reader 3 built by jotas.
I know, there is some discussion going, some people prefer the Lopatin mainstream ones, but I certainly don't.

As to buttons, I think Onyx Boox have buttons? Large buttons on both sides, and probably a joystick at the bottom.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #146
parkher
Evangelist

Returning back to the issue of that unnecessary front-lighting which requires a special light distributing layer.

Read this about the new android Onyx Boox i63SL:
http://www.the-ebook.org/?p=18124#more-18124

It says that the contrast is noticeably reduced because that light distributing layer is "milky"

Ha! It is written not in English. At least some letters look like Greek
Anyway, Google Translate says:

Молочная подсветка -> Dairy lights

Which is pretty funny. Even though perfectly correct.
It shows that automatic translation is almost impossible.

So, yes, I demand an option from the manufacturers: no lighting, and buttons !!!

Last edited by parkher; 07-05-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #147
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
It says that the contrast is noticeably reduced because that light distributing layer is "milky"
They are comparing this model with previous Onyx models, it could be Onyx i62 which has front-light. So it is possible that this particular model has inferior light distributing layer. Its superior versions with infrared and capacitive touch aren't released yet

Anyway i am with you on your demand, but it seems front-light has become the standard feature and manufacturers may not release models without it.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #148
parkher
Evangelist

Again, capacitive touch screen has another top layer which is not 100% transparent.
Better IR.

I mean, I would like a choice to buy IR
Old 07-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #149
Feher
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Again, capacitive touch screen has another top layer which is not 100% transparent.
Better IR.

I mean, I would like a choice to buy IR
Thanks for the info

I asked this question in Onyx subforum - what could be the possible differences between these two screen technologies as Onyx is going to launch two variants - R65 (IR based ) and C65 (Capacitive).
Old 07-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #150
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Try the Windows version.
http://coolreader.org/e-index.htm

Here's a demo video of the Android version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO4cG4WnSbA

My rooted T1 is more stable under Coolreader than with the Sony reader app. Which isn't bad...just limited compared to Coolreader, which has been my reader of choice for 4 years and three ereader generations (BeBook. PB360, and Rooted T1) and two tablet generations.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-05-2013 at 06:58 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote