Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
dave45
dave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
Windows7 USB problem

when connecting the PRS505 to my Windows7 PC USB, I hear the "ba-ding" noise of a USB connection, but the virtual drives never appear. Device manager shows a USB connection with a yellow "!" which says "unable to start"..

tried updating driver. no joy
tried a different cable no joy
tried a different USB socket - it went ba-ding then ba-dong (USB connect/disconnect but no clues)

On my XP machine I have no problems at all

The Win7 PC reads other USB devices more or less OK, but seems to have got an objection to the PRS-505. Any ideas if this is fixable?
dave45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
"The Win7 PC reads other USB devices more or less OK"
Not sure what you mean by that- it either reads them or it doesn't surely?
Anyway, 2 things to try:
1. A powered USB hub
2. Shut down the PC. Connect the device. Power up the PC *with the device still connected*
I know you said that you have tried different USB cables. Does this include the cable that came with your reader? My Logitech remote will only connect with the USB cable which came along with it....

HTH
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
dave45
dave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
It does help!.. you got me to be a bit more rigorous.... the two USB sockets on the front of the PC work fine for most things but not the PRS505... swapped it for the rear USB keyboard socket and we're on. (and the keyboard works fine on the front socket) ... so it does look like a power thing.. Strange coz the front USB ports power laptop USB hard-drives with no extra power. But then USB is a bit of a dark art at the best of times :-)
dave45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Gilmartin
Zealot
Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gilmartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PW2
Glad you got it sorted
Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs505 usb win7 windows7