Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I'll stick with my 500, thank you.

Hi Folks,

I was playing with a Sony 505 Reader at Fry's Electronics yesterday and I noticed a few interesting things:

Sometimes I like to check out display units because they have taken much abuse and you get to see the most likely failure or fatigue points of the hardware.

I noticed that the top and bottom of the 505 is made of plastic with a fake chrome finish. Although I'm not sure if 500 chrome edges are also plastic, I'd like to say that the hard-right-angles of the 505 plastic covers are places where the fake chrome will start to peel away with age.
Next to the 505 was the 500, also showing it's age, due to months of customers messing with it, did not have any such peeling on it's chrome edges.

The 505 frame, sitting next to a 500, also seemed easier to bend or twist compared to the 500. I must be a weakling, but the 500 seemed much tougher, I could not bend it [testing within reason of course, I wasn't trying to break anything].

The screen contrast was better and the the page refresh faster than the 500.

The page turn buttons on the edge of the 505, next to the number buttons, seemed hard to push due to the inward curve of the aluminum case. It could be my fat fingers, but I couldn't see myself comfortably using these buttons as an everyday page turn option. I like my joystick too much to upgrade.

Just some random observations by a curious fellow.

I'll stick with my 500,
Fabian.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Enjoy the 500 flamaest
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
I noticed that the top and bottom of the 505 is made of plastic with a fake chrome finish. Although I'm not sure if 500 chrome edges are also plastic, ...
They are. Or rather, they are chrome-plated plastic, if that's what you mean (the chrome isn't "fake"). You can see this if you remove the side-pieces on the 500 - the inside of them is just bare plastic.

Quote:
The screen contrast was better and the the page refresh faster than the 500.
It's the screen that's the big difference. The 2nd gen "VizPlex" screen of the 505 (and the CyBook, Kindle, etc) is just hugely better than the 500's screen, especially in poorer lighting conditions. That's the primary reason I changed my 500 for a Gen3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If it makes any difference to anyone, I remember that the chrome peeling was a concern on the 500 early on. I don't recall anyone actually reporting the chrome peeling off, however, mine certainly hasn't, for what it's worth.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
If it makes any difference to anyone, I remember that the chrome peeling was a concern on the 500 early on. I don't recall anyone actually reporting the chrome peeling off, however, mine certainly hasn't, for what it's worth.
I wonder what kind of beatings you have to put through your reader to have your chrome peels off.... It's pretty good protected by the cover IMO. And it's a tad too expensive to just not be careful with it...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Things just fall over, sometimes.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
stxopher
Nameless Being

Mine just wore off but I think the blame lies in sweat composition since I can't wear any metal or metallic items for extended periods of time without massive corrosion.

And heaven knows how much my sweaty little paws were on that 500! Now I just consider the material erosion a "feature" and call it "ergonomic tactile friction ridging".
Old 02-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
For me it is about the reading. The improved contrast was what sold me on switching to the 505. Insofar as the ergonomics the 500 was more to my liking. I do like the way that the side buttons work on the 505 better.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One problem I've had with the demo 505 units at the SonyStyle store is that the cord they attach so it cannot be stolen actual interferes with how the cover folds back and prevents proper holding. So naturally,m since the cover isn't properly closed and you cannot then properly hold it, the buttons then seem like a nuisance to be on the right side like they are. But once you have a 505 with nothing in the way of the cover folding back, it's easy to hold with one hand and also be able to push the page turn buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
You need to change your sig graphic so the guy is holding a PRS-50x.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would if I could find such a smiley. But I don't think there is one.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote