Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #316
Zombater
Enthusiast
Zombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah, what do you think your Kindle is running if not Linux?

All questions need proper context, none of us can read your mind.
Well I searched it up, how do I "download" or "use" this zcat?
Zombater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #317
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Onto what device? If that sounds like a stupid question: it's probably not your KPW2, since it should have zcat onboard, ready to use.

As for using it - that's a way to general question. There's a thousand ways. But in the context of this thread, I think what could help you is: in a terminal, on the command line. Via USB networking (using a terminal + telnet or SSH on your host PC) or using a terminal client on the Kindle.

You're really not asking questions the right way, I'm afraid. Your posts lack all context that would give us an idea what you're trying to do and at what point you are failing. Questions so general as "what is zcat" are even derailing from this thread's topic, which is other software: the video player. So please give more context. People here are a friendly bunch, but you need to give 'em enough rope to help you.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #318
Zombater
Enthusiast
Zombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Onto what device? If that sounds like a stupid question: it's probably not your KPW2, since it should have zcat onboard, ready to use.

As for using it - that's a way to general question. There's a thousand ways. But in the context of this thread, I think what could help you is: in a terminal, on the command line. Via USB networking (using a terminal + telnet or SSH on your host PC) or using a terminal client on the Kindle.

You're really not asking questions the right way, I'm afraid. Your posts lack all context that would give us an idea what you're trying to do and at what point you are failing. Questions so general as "what is zcat" are even derailing from this thread's topic, which is other software: the video player. So please give more context. People here are a friendly bunch, but you need to give 'em enough rope to help you.
Sorry, it's just I know so little about this it's hard to go into detail. You'll mention something about X, and I'll google what X is, can't find it in layman form and fail to understand, ask what X is and you say then I don't give enough info about X.

As for using zcat, yes thanks now I am aware that it comes with Linux, that's why I put "download" and "use" in quotes.

Last edited by Zombater; 09-15-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #319
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
List everything you have done to this Kindle.
List every one of our packages you have installed.

We may be able to figure out how to help you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #320
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And as hawhill said, plainly stating what exactly you're trying to achieve may be helpful .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #321
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Duh....
Kindle Stew?

• 1 quart water
  • 1 Tbl spoon salt
  • Bring to rolling boil
  • Add Kindle
  • When e-ink runs out of corners, its done
  • For a more tender Kindle, simmer over low heat for another day or two

Last edited by knc1; 09-15-2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #322
deltathing
deltathing began at the beginning.

Device: k4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Place the "producer" side or the whole instruction in a loop, I'd say:
Code:
while true; do zcat vid.gmv.gz; done | ./gmplay
or
Code:
while true; do zcat vid.gmv.gz | ./gmplay; done
THANKYOU! works a treat
deltathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #323
Zombater
Enthusiast

Quote:
List everything you have done to this Kindle.
List every one of our packages you have installed.

We may be able to figure out how to help you.
I'm trying to get this to work on my kindle PW2. I have jailbreaked my Kindle, installed the Screensavers mod and KUAL. I want to be able to watch Harvey on my kindle, and I am unsure on how to do so. When I launch the mod through KUAL, it just exits over to the main menu.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #324
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombater View Post
I'm trying to get this to work on my kindle PW2. I have jailbreaked my Kindle, installed the Screensavers mod and KUAL. I want to be able to watch Harvey on my kindle, and I am unsure on how to do so. When I launch the mod through KUAL, it just exits over to the main menu.
Are the KUAL buttons to control the screensaver working as expected?

Are any of the KUAL buttons working?
Old 09-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #325
Zombater
Enthusiast

Quote:
Are the KUAL buttons to control the screensaver working as expected?

Are any of the KUAL buttons working?
Yes, I can launch eChess and edit screensavers. Only GMV is broken.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #326
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yes, I can launch eChess and edit screensavers. Only GMV is broken.
Can you give a link to the "button set" you installed for GMV ?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #327
Zombater
Enthusiast

Quote:
Can you give a link to the "button set" you installed for GMV ?
Sorry, but what does "button set" mean? I installed the file from the OP post, if that's your question.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #328
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sorry, but what does "button set" mean? I installed the file from the OP post, if that's your question.
Meaning the contents of the: Video-KUAL-EXTENSIONS-1.zip archive?

Looking at the files on your Kindle shown over the USB cable -
Do you see the structure:
*/extensions/Videos/<5 files in that directory>

Does the KUAL menu show you a button "Gmvid" ?

- - - -

Hang in here, we are getting closer to an answer to watching Harvey.

Last edited by knc1; 09-20-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:05 PM   #329
Zombater
Enthusiast

Quote:
Meaning the contents of the: Video-KUAL-EXTENSIONS-1.zip archive?

Looking at the files on your Kindle shown over the USB cable -
Do you see the structure:
*/extensions/Videos/<5 files in that directory>

Does the KUAL menu show you a button "Gmvid" ?

- - - -

Hang in here, we are getting closer to an answer to watching Harvey.
Sorry I'm so confused, lol. Yes, that is the structure and I can see GMvid. When I try launching the example vid it just sends me to the homescreen. And yes, the contents of the archive, not the archive itself. Not the readme.txt, obviously though. And does the example vid need to be whatever.gmv or whatever.gmv.gz?

Last edited by Zombater; 09-20-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #330
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sorry I'm so confused, lol. Yes, that is the structure and I can see GMvid. When I try launching the example vid it just sends me to the homescreen. And yes, the contents of the archive, not the archive itself.
Just as long as one of us is **not** confused.

Those questions should have taken care of all the common problems.
If it was going to work on your PW2, it should be working.

I.E: It isn't going to work on a PW2 as written.
(It might or might not work on a PW1 - nobody has tested that yet.)

The compiled application, gmplay, was written (and tested) during the era of the Kindle Touch (before either Paperwhite was introduced).

For the gory details, open the "Magic Revealed" spoiler in the first post of this thread.
In the source code, you will find three different functions, for the three different video hardwares **prior to** the introduction of either Paperwhite Kindle.

The application needs additional code added to support the Paperwhite video hardware.

- - - -

I think the situation is the same in the case of ffmpeg mentioned in the top post -
No work done (yet) to support either of the Paperwhite Kindles.

Short ans: It isn't going to work on a PW2.

Last edited by knc1; 09-20-2014 at 03:19 PM.