Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Revising and editing ...

... has to be the most boring part. Your head is full of all these ideas for new things you want to write, but you have to spend all your writing time reading stuff you wrote months ago for the hundredth time. Short stories aren't so bad, but for anything longer I can see the appeal of farming it out to a co-writer to do.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
We all go at writing differently, but I disagree completely with the idea that rewriting and editing are boring. Rewriting and polishing and yes, even editing, is so rewarding when you see the story improve with each tweak, and I totally believe it is essential to producing anything even near your best work. In my humble opinion, of course. First cut may be the deepest, but it should not be the final cut. And farming it out? Works for James Patterson I guess, but then he can afford to. LOL
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I personally make a few zillion passes over my book, make it PERFECT and ERROR free, then hand to my editor who I think is putting errors in just so that she can find something to fix!

I dont mind the editing/revising ... I despise the MARKETING. Ugh!! I just lost an hour trying to find a review site that is CURRENTLY taking spec fic and does not have a multi-year back log. Still not found one, and think my head gonna explode from some of their page designs. Wow. I would happily pay some one to do this for me!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
Steve Robinson
Crime Fiction Writer
Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Steve Robinson calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Editing is the best part of the process for me. The story is down and you're feeling good. The hard work is behind you and you can start looking forward to publication at last. I can't wait to start editing my sequel; it's really something to look forward to. But I've got to write it first.
Steve Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I rewrite as I go along, so at this stage it's just changing a few words if they've been overused, or re-wording the odd sentence if it gets a bit too long. Unless I decide to add or expand on a scene there isn't really much "creative" work at all.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I'm with you, I'd much, much rather write new stuff than edit old stuff.

But then again, as far as I am concerned, the story already exists, more or less fixed in my head. I just write it down. So my perception of the story can't change much, since I already have it visualized.

Sure as I write it down, things change from how I pictured it (indeed, things often look a lot different as you write it down). But it's hard to go back once it's written. So editing is catching typos and such than improving on the story.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
... has to be the most boring part. Your head is full of all these ideas for new things you want to write, but you have to spend all your writing time reading stuff you wrote months ago for the hundredth time. Short stories aren't so bad, but for anything longer I can see the appeal of farming it out to a co-writer to do.
I feel your pain. I'm on the last major edit of my book before the final stages and I just keep having huge motivation slumps. It's really frustrating.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, I agree with Steve the hard part is creating your characters and thinking up a plausible plotline. Love editing as it should just be about striving to make your work 70-80% better! ;-)
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I'm a "love writing it, hate editing it" person. I usually love the outcome of editing, how a scene turns out after it's been polished, but it's hard for me to sit down and start working on edits because the knowledge that I now have to make the book *perfect* overwhelms me.

Unfortunately, I can't submit until I edit. I have to stop writing new stories and complete edits on the old stuff so I can start submitting it!
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The writing part always seems to flow for me, then the editing is like someone's tied bricks to my shoes during a marathon... so lame and boring.

Plus, I'm terrible at remembering what I wrote. It's like I'm reading the story as I write it, which is great because I'm super entertained. Then when I have to re-read through, there's all this stuff that I don't remember even happening. But at least everything ties into the story, which is good.

Still, editing is one of those horrible things everyone has to do. And even if you do the best job possible, then have 20 different people check it over... at some point you're going to be looking at your ebook or whatever and it'll be like "Oh darn it!" because there will be a gigantic typo or something staring back at you, laughing mockingly. It's just one of those things.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I like both. And hate both. Often several times within the same day.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Editing shouldn't be so painful. Assuming that your first draft is pretty good, the editing process is just about correcting errors and polishing prose. It should only take a fraction of the time compared to drafting the manuscript. And you get the satisfaction of re-discovering your story and seeing it become even better, all while knowing that you're getting closer to publication.
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:32 AM   #13
Eisengoth
Independent Author
Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Eisengoth can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlewis View Post
Assuming that your first draft is pretty good...
...and if it's not, you probably want to go back and do a full 100% rewrite anyway, which is much more like writing something new than editing!
Eisengoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
SerenaFairfax
Book Author
SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SerenaFairfax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Ipad
Smile Revising and editing

It's murdering your darlings!
Or put another way: spare the rod and spoil the book.
SerenaFairfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't mind the editing part at all. It often allows me to re-evaluate passages and pacing, and make changes that really improve the overall presentation.

I've also been able to add scenes that maybe I decided initially to leave out, in order to clarify a point, fill out a narrative or add dimension to a character. I've redone three of my novels thusly, and they've all come out better for it.

It's also something I can do when I don't have or want a new novel to work on at the moment.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote