Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
warrend405
warrend405 began at the beginning.

Device: sony touch
Power off without screen touch

I recently had a problem with my Nook Touch when the screen would no longer respond to a tap. I figured I needed to power it off to reset it but was unable to since the power off required a tap to confirm the power off. The problem eventually cleared and the Nook powered itself off and cleared the problem.

Is there any way to power the nook off without having to tap the screen?
warrend405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
The power button on the Nook STR is on the back, at the top. If you have it in a case, it may be harder to get to.

Just press it until the unit powers off. Shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds. Same for turning it back on.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I agree with what DuskyRose said. However, now I am intrigued - exactly where is the power off option available when you tap the screen? Is it in some menu? I've never seen it. The only ways I know of to power off is to use the button on the back at the top or just let it go to sleep on its own. I would like to know how to use the tap feature too.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
warrend405
warrend405 began at the beginning.

Device: sony touch
I pressed the power button in the back and held it but the unit didn't power off. Instead I got a screen that said I was going to power the unit off and did I really want to do this. Options were continue or cancel. Doing nothing was a cancel. Just continuing to hold the power button didn't do anything either.

From the two comments am I correct in assuming that no one else has gotten this option screen before a power off?
warrend405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrend405 View Post
I pressed the power button in the back and held it but the unit didn't power off. Instead I got a screen that said I was going to power the unit off and did I really want to do this. Options were continue or cancel. Doing nothing was a cancel. Just continuing to hold the power button didn't do anything either.

From the two comments am I correct in assuming that no one else has gotten this option screen before a power off?
What you describe is the regular power off screen. If you keep pressing the power button the Nook should turn off (or you can use the button on screen to turn off).

A lot of people think they are turning off the Nook by a short press on the power button (but this just lets the Nook go to sleep). So they never see the power off screen.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert