Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
WombatBookWorm
WombatBookWorm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle IPad
Author sort won't change

I am trying to sort out my Calibre eBook library. I have the standard setting of:

Author - Firstname Lastname
Author sort - Lastname, Firstname

Some of the books, no matter how I change the metadata (individually, bulk, Manage Authors), won't come out right.

For example, I have around 50 books by James Patterson.

I can get them all to

Author - James Patterson
Author sort - James Patterson

in which case they appear under J rather than P

or

Author - Patterson, James
Author sort - Patterson, James

in which case they appear properly under P. but the Author Name is inconsistent with the rest of the library.

How (if at all) can I get them to all come out

Author - James Patterson
Author sort - Patterson, James?

Most of the other problem ones seem to involve books with multiple authors. I don't really car about secondary authors, but taking out the secondary authors from the Author and Author sort field doesn't seem to make them behave any better.

I have searched the Forum for clues / solutions / explanations but haven't been able to find anything that solves my problem (though author sort issues seems to be something many people have difficulties grappling with).

Thanks in advance.
WombatBookWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatBookWorm View Post
I am trying to sort out my Calibre eBook library. I have the standard setting of:

Author - Firstname Lastname
Author sort - Lastname, Firstname

Some of the books, no matter how I change the metadata (individually, bulk, Manage Authors), won't come out right.

For example, I have around 50 books by James Patterson.

I can get them all to

Author - James Patterson
Author sort - James Patterson

in which case they appear under J rather than P

or

Author - Patterson, James
Author sort - Patterson, James

in which case they appear properly under P. but the Author Name is inconsistent with the rest of the library.

How (if at all) can I get them to all come out

Author - James Patterson
Author sort - Patterson, James?

Most of the other problem ones seem to involve books with multiple authors. I don't really car about secondary authors, but taking out the secondary authors from the Author and Author sort field doesn't seem to make them behave any better.

I have searched the Forum for clues / solutions / explanations but haven't been able to find anything that solves my problem (though author sort issues seems to be something many people have difficulties grappling with).

Thanks in advance.
Did you mess with the 'Tweaks' for "Use Author Sort in Tag Browser?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
WombatBookWorm

No, I don't think so.

It is set to:

# Use author sort in Tag Browser

categories_use_field_for_author_name = 'author'
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatBookWorm View Post
No, I don't think so.

It is set to:

# Use author sort in Tag Browser

categories_use_field_for_author_name = 'author'
Using the setting: James Paterson will sort in the "J's"

I found the other tweak (I am using the alternate setting)

Code:
# Author sort name algorithm

author_sort_copy_method = 'invert'

author_name_suffixes = ('Jr', 'Sr', 'Inc', 'Ph.D', 'Phd', 'MD', 'M.D', 'I', 'II', 'III', 'IV', 'Junior', 'Senior')
Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
WombatBookWorm

Thanks. This tweek solves the problem. Much appeciated.
Advert
Old 06-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Red face It was right in front of me

I knew there was this setting, but I had trouble locating it to point at it the first pass.

When SET, it becomes BOLD and floats toward the top of the list..
Too Bold, I guess