Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
msmith301
msmith301 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Can't read ascm book I just downloaded.

Hey, New guy here.
I just purchased a brand new Nook/Color Wednesday and can't believe I haven't gotten an e-reader sooner. I am and avid (addicted) book reader and usually have any were from 10 to 20 books going at the same time. When I am out of town I usually bring a bag full of my hardbacks to read.

Any way I just purchased a book (Star Trek Best Destiny by Diane Carey) but when I downloaded it had an ascm extension. I am supposed to be able to read it on an Adobe Digital Readers program. I downloaded this app to my laptop and was able to open and read the book but I can't seem to activate the program on my NookColor so I can read the book. Can someone help me with this?
msmith301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
When you open the ascm file in Adobe (ADE), it then downloads the REAL book, an epub file and opens that. It is the epub file that you must send to your nook. It is in the ADE library.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
msmith301

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
When you open the ascm file in Adobe (ADE), it then downloads the REAL book, an epub file and opens that. It is the epub file that you must send to your nook. It is in the ADE library.
All I can do in ADE is read the book. How do I send it to my NookColor?
Is there a seperate file to extract it from?
Old 05-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I know your book is purchased and not a library book, but the ADE step would be the same as in this tutorial...

http://beingruth.com/tutorial-librar...ook-overdrive/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
msmith301

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I know your book is purchased and not a library book, but the ADE step would be the same as in this tutorial...

http://beingruth.com/tutorial-librar...ook-overdrive/
OK did that and followed the tutorials instructions to do a simple drag and drop in my ADE window on the computer to my Nook. But when I try to access the book on my Nook it is telling this book is limited to a single device, cannot open on this device.
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you buy it directly from Simon & Schuster? I know a while back folks were having that problem with books bought directly from them, don't know if it ever got solved.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
msmith301

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Did you buy it directly from Simon & Schuster? I know a while back folks were having that problem with books bought directly from them, don't know if it ever got solved.
As a matter of fact I did by it directly from Simon&Schuster.
How did you know that?
Old 05-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith301 View Post
As a matter of fact I did by it directly from Simon&Schuster.
How did you know that?
Because I know S&S is the publisher and I know others have had similar problems with books directly from them in the past in the past.

Some discussion went on in the later parts of this thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=60216&page=3

Perhaps you can get them to issue a refund so you can get it directly from B&N instead (or another retailer if you prefer).
Old 05-29-2011, 04:44 AM   #9
msmith301

How do I activate my ADE on my Nook?
lMaybe that is why I can't access it.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How do I activate my ADE on my Nook?
lMaybe that is why I can't access it.
You don't "activate" ADE on your Nook. ADE only resides on the PC, and you already have it there. When you drag and drop the book onto your Nook from ADE, the book is then on the Nook. If you cannot access the book on the Nook and are getting that error message, it has nothing to do with ADE.

I think your problem is as has been described - the publisher causes problems. I think you should seek a refund and repurchase thru B&N, as suggested already.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
msmith301

Guess I'll have to try that avenue.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've given up buying eBooks direct from S&S. There's no easy way to deal with S&S with a problem eBook. It's easier to deal with a store instead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Guess I'll have to try that avenue.
Thanks for all the input.
Sure thing. Just want to add one thing - from the thread given above on how to use ADE, it says:

"When you create the Adobe account, you must do so with the same e-mail address and the same password as on your Nook, which is I think also always the same as your Barnes and Noble account. They report that if you use a different e-mail (and perhaps also password, though I use different passwords for my ADE & B&N accounts), you may have trouble authorizing your books."

If you did this incorrectly, you might have this problem. One way to test it would be to download an ebook from your local library, if they have that service. It uses the same ADE technique, with the ascm file, etc. If that works, then you know ADE was set up correctly.

As I said, it's probably S&S that is the problem. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had the same issue with a Star Trek eBook bought direct from S&S. Stripping the DRM was the solution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Sure thing. Just want to add one thing - from the thread given above on how to use ADE, it says:

"When you create the Adobe account, you must do so with the same e-mail address and the same password as on your Nook, which is I think also always the same as your Barnes and Noble account. They report that if you use a different e-mail (and perhaps also password, though I use different passwords for my ADE & B&N accounts), you may have trouble authorizing your books."

If you did this incorrectly, you might have this problem. One way to test it would be to download an ebook from your local library, if they have that service. It uses the same ADE technique, with the ascm file, etc. If that works, then you know ADE was set up correctly.

As I said, it's probably S&S that is the problem. Good luck.
There is no connection whatever between your B&N account and your Adobe account. These are two seperate accounts that have nothing to do with each other. You can choose any e-mail address and password you want to. The two accounts do not need to be the same.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote