Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #31
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I don't know enough about Tennis TV to make a recommendation.

And there are probably some situations where it may make sense to look elsewhere. Not many , but they do exist.

Edit: The technology is there; it's just that Tennis TV has chosen not to use it in a pro-subscriber way. Instead they seek to sell iPlatform owners another sub, instead of using the existing App with their current subscription.

They could also use HTML5 video, instead of (I'm assuming) flash, which would eliminate the need for a second app and a second sub.

It's really a business decision that they have made...and it's one that others in their place have refused to make. I think that it makes sense to think differently and get a tablet or device that runs Flash in this case...
all this senseless downloading additional apps to read flash or dropbox to replace USB (which should be SOP on any computing device) on and on.

or just get an Android device that reads both Flash and HTML5 HAS USB ports, HAS HDMI ports. HAS expandable memory.

I just don't get the whole Apple thing. I did it for a couple of years with the first two iPhones but once Androids became high end, I jumped ship and will never look back. I don't have all my media tied into the iTunes eco system and all that garbage.

sure Apple products are good looking. no denying that. They perform well, and they do run the best marketing and advertising campaigns in the country.

but the tradeoffs are too much. Too walled in, too much of pain to free your media if you decide to break out of the Apple world, Apple picks senseless fights and in this case a losing fight with Adobe flash.

Too many tradeoffs with too many other better products.

Last edited by boswd; 02-03-2011 at 11:45 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #32
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
I looked at a tablet which did not have flash. One of the main things I do on the internet, the site requires flash to log in. This is something I do everyday. It's not worth it to me to get an ipad or any other device if I can't do simple routine things without a lot of hassle. SD card/USB port/ portability is also a big deal for me. What if I want to take my info to my sisters house or to work. Much easier to carry a tiny little SD card or USB drive. Besides as much as people I know love apple the control they have over what you can or can't do with their devices bothers me. Isn't that why most of us don't like DRM on our e-books?
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #33
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I don't know enough about Tennis TV to make a recommendation.

And there are probably some situations where it may make sense to look elsewhere. Not many , but they do exist.

Edit: The technology is there; it's just that Tennis TV has chosen not to use it in a pro-subscriber way. Instead they seek to sell iPlatform owners another sub, instead of using the existing App with their current subscription.

They could also use HTML5 video, instead of (I'm assuming) flash, which would eliminate the need for a second app and a second sub.

It's really a business decision that they have made...and it's one that others in their place have refused to make. I think that it makes sense to think differently and get a tablet or device that runs Flash in this case...
Is it just me or do you take the line that certain technologies are outdated because Apple says so? You seem to be unwilling to say... well... anything detrimental to Apple in this thread.

Can't use USB? It's outdated, nevermind that the majority of computer users likely use it.

Can't use Flash? It's outdated, again nevermind that... yeah, you get it.

I don't know, just an observation.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #34
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Is it just me or do you take the line that certain technologies are outdated because Apple says so? You seem to be unwilling to say... well... anything detrimental to Apple in this thread.

I don't know, just an observation.

And not just this thread.....FBD!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #35
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Can't use USB? It's outdated, nevermind that the majority of computer users likely use it.
Ignoring the rest, but the iPad can use USB, it just has extremely limited support for what can be done with it. (Such as not appearing as a mass storage device)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #36
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
so, the iPad can't connect via USB? Not even some bluetooth? outrageously lame.

I prefer my smartphone anyway, which can connect via both and also to wifi and 3G...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote