Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #31
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
? Where do you buy your books, and what genres do you read? For new pbooks, Amazon is consistently (I hesitate to say always) the same or cheaper for my location. If I want a used pbook (which again, I can usually get on Amazon for cheaper), I can travel 20 minutes one-way to my local used book store, pay for parking, and pray they have the used book in stock for a decent price. Hasn't been my experience though.
If you're even lucky enough to have a used bookstore close by. As far as I know, I don't. I don't buy many paper books, new or used, but when I do they're almost always from Amazon or one of its sellers.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #32
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
This works for you because of what you choose to read. Your reading choices don't reflect others' choices. So it doesn't make sense to say that others are overpaying for their choice of books.
Actually it doesn't matter what you choose to read. When comparing the same MMPB at multiple retailers Amazon isn't usually the lowest priced in my experience. Granted, it may be more convenient.

If your choice of reading material is only available at Amazon, then there is nothing to compare and overpayment is a non-issue. Of course, it may not be available in Kindle format either and that only adds to the paperback totals.

Edit- This is actually what I said. I didn't make an absolute statement.
Quote:
Which may possibly suggest they are overpaying for their paperback books.

Last edited by Fbone; 01-28-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Further thought.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #33
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Actually it doesn't matter what you choose to read. When comparing the same MMPB at multiple retailers Amazon isn't usually the lowest priced in my experience. Granted, it may be more convenient.

If your choice of reading material is only available at Amazon, then there is nothing to compare and overpayment is a non-issue. Of course, it may not be available in Kindle format either and that only adds to the paperback totals.

Edit- This is actually what I said. I didn't make an absolute statement.
You originally posted about paperback books, not just mass market paperbacks. I can't speak to MMPBs alone, because I don't often buy them. I buy mostly trade paperbacks, and I find those are better deals at Amazon than at Borders. (The ones I read aren't usually sold at general retail stores.)
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #34
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Kindle books

Just saw on the news that Amazon has sold 115 eBooks for every 100 paperbacks. 3 times the sales of eBooks per hardcover sold.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #35
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
My experience has been that Amazon often does have the lowest price on mass market paperbacks, but it's not significantly lower--a few cents, not a few bucks. I tended to buy paperbacks at Amazon only if I was making another purchase and needed to hit the free-shipping minimum. Otherwise, paperbacks were mainly impulse buys at BN or Borders. I'm a bargain shopper most of the time, but not for paperbacks--it's just not cost-effective for me.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #36
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
My experience has been that Amazon often does have the lowest price on mass market paperbacks, but it's not significantly lower--a few cents, not a few bucks. I tended to buy paperbacks at Amazon only if I was making another purchase and needed to hit the free-shipping minimum. Otherwise, paperbacks were mainly impulse buys at BN or Borders. I'm a bargain shopper most of the time, but not for paperbacks--it's just not cost-effective for me.
I hear you. I don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks to help keep a local business going, but I find nonfiction trade paperbacks at Amazon for $5 or $6+ less each than what Borders sells 'em for. When you buy several at a time, that quickly adds up. It makes Amazon hard to beat, especially when you get free shipping, pay no tax, don't have to drive anywhere, and can shop at your own convenience.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 01-29-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #37
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Anyway you shake it, it's been a strong year for Kindles, and Kindle ebooks.
It's been a strong year for ebooks. B&N reported the same thing at the end of December -- ebooks outselling pbooks online, and the Nook its best-selling product ever -- even outsold Rowling and Dan Brown.

It's not just Amazon's boat rising.

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 AM   #38
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Yes, clearly the buying habits of millions of Americans are identical to yours.

Oh, wait, they aren't. In fact they're one of the largest book retailers in the world.
Those two statements aren't necessarily contradictory. As a thought experiment, imagine Amazon has a single customer who buys, say, a half billion books a year. Amazon gets to be the planet's largest bookseller, and millions of American still do their shopping elsewhere.

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote