Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2024, 06:07 PM   #1
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
No Connect to PC via USB (charge okay)

I have a Kindle paperwhite (10th Gen) that I can no longer connect to PC. It still charges okay, but I now I cannot manage and sideload my library with Calibre, for instance. I have tried various USB cables (they work fine with Amz Fire btw). It charges good immediately on plug in. I wiggle plug and cannot get even a flicker of USB connection message.

I have tried various computers. I plug and un plug, etc. Tried cleaning the socket(air and alcohol). Opened the case and unplugged battery to get a fresh start. "Fiddled with socket while case opened. All this...still no connection.

Any suggestions on this? Sure seems like a dead kindle. I am not a prime member, really just sideload. I guess the only way this thing is going to get content is if I buy from Amazon. Not forced to do that yet. I have Pocketbook also.
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 10:41 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post

Any suggestions on this? Sure seems like a dead kindle. I am not a prime member, really just sideload. I guess the only way this thing is going to get content is if I buy from Amazon. Not forced to do that yet. I have Pocketbook also.
Maybe try SendToKindle.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 12:36 PM   #3
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Maybe try SendToKindle.
Exactly. Thank you John.

I was on the phone with Amazon help and tried this. The test book I uploaded to Amazon went there and then appeared in the library on my Kindle just as if it was purchased content. Once I selected it, it downloaded to the kindle. Interestingly, Amazon allows only certain file types on 'SendtoKindle'. Epub is one of them. Mobi, AZW3, etc. are not on the list.
But BTW the Amazon help-person very cordially was unable to understand what my issue was and how to fix it.

Is it possible that Amazon disabled USB PC-to-Kindle data connection in their last update? I can imagine them doing so to firmly cement the Amazon control of Kindle content.

My situation now is that I can still load content to the Kindle. Albeit a little cumbersome. I cannot manage content on the Kindle using Calibre as I have done in the past. But I do not have to toss this Kindle in the trash, since I just have to figure out how I want to use this crippled? device
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 01:40 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post
Is it possible that Amazon disabled USB PC-to-Kindle data connection in their last update? I can imagine them doing so to firmly cement the Amazon control of Kindle content.
The only USB connection change I've noted in the latest round of updates from Amazon is that the Scribe now uses MTP instead of USB mass storage for the connection protocol.

My Paperwhite 10th gen. still connects to my computer using USBMS.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote