Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-04-2016, 04:29 AM   #1
AndrewMowere
Connoisseur
AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Self Publishing nightmare

A week ago, I decided that I wanted to check up on my debut novel's editing. I was horrified, truly and utterly. It seemed like the thing was still on first draft, and it made me wonder if something had gone terribly wrong or if I was such a bad editor that there were even some missing words and half-written sentences in my work. I seemed to have no better version. However, there was a telltale sign. Years and such were in numerical form, even though I was certain they'd been changed.
After checking on goodreads through my blog, one of my writing buddies and reviewers confirmed that the version she'd read was different.

I misplaced my well edited version and had uploaded a bad one on smashwords and amazon. For three months.

You could imagine my reaction. I pulled the versions back and edited them from scratch in a flurry. Now they're up again. The whole time, my heart was clenched. Reveiewers had SEEN that nonesense. The book has been set to free now as an apology to the world in general. Also, sorry if you'd happened to pick it up.

Has anyone had any horrible experiences? I assume no one here is an idiot such as I, but still. What's the worst self publishing experience you've had so far?
AndrewMowere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:06 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You now have no recourse except to wear a disguise when appearing in public.

Here's the perfect solution to your embarrassing problem so that no one will recognize you.

I recommend you go with the disguise on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9368c4dabf.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	152793  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMowere View Post
A week ago, I decided that I wanted to check up on my debut novel's editing. I was horrified, truly and utterly. It seemed like the thing was still on first draft, and it made me wonder if something had gone terribly wrong or if I was such a bad editor that there were even some missing words and half-written sentences in my work. I seemed to have no better version. However, there was a telltale sign. Years and such were in numerical form, even though I was certain they'd been changed.
After checking on goodreads through my blog, one of my writing buddies and reviewers confirmed that the version she'd read was different.

I misplaced my well edited version and had uploaded a bad one on smashwords and amazon. For three months.

You could imagine my reaction. I pulled the versions back and edited them from scratch in a flurry. Now they're up again. The whole time, my heart was clenched. Reveiewers had SEEN that nonesense. The book has been set to free now as an apology to the world in general. Also, sorry if you'd happened to pick it up.

Has anyone had any horrible experiences? I assume no one here is an idiot such as I, but still. What's the worst self publishing experience you've had so far?
Use a Mac, and a time machine backup for all your work. It saves old versions, even if you mistakenly save over one.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
AndrewMowere
Connoisseur
AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewMowere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Use a Mac, and a time machine backup for all your work. It saves old versions, even if you mistakenly save over one.
That's a useful feature.

Doctor, your prescriptions always pick me right up! I like the shiny white coat on that left one, though.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:14 AM   #5
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
The way I avoid those sorts of issues is to always name interesting files with date stamps, e.g. tiw-2015-12-01.fixed.html.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
matteomatt
matteomatt began at the beginning.

I did not have any nightmares that bad but I had alot of trouble learning to submit the proper format to Amazon KDP.

I also noticed graphical errors throughout one book based on word not copying certain characters over to HTML properly, but I got that fixed. I had to go through and re-upload books many times.
matteomatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #7
AndrewMowere
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteomatt View Post
I did not have any nightmares that bad but I had alot of trouble learning to submit the proper format to Amazon KDP.

I also noticed graphical errors throughout one book based on word not copying certain characters over to HTML properly, but I got that fixed. I had to go through and re-upload books many times.
What kind of graphical errors? I don't understand what this means. Images from the book not translating to amazon's .mobi?