Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #46
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I find I tend to put down e-books once I've started them more readily than paper books that I would get from a bookstore or library. Perhaps because I always have dozens more close at hand, waiting to be read, or perhaps because I get a lot of indie books at the Kindle store, and there is a lot more dross in that pile. I may start 4-5 books now before I find one that catches me up and carries me along. For that reason I tend to have a longer "to read" list now than I did before e-readers came along.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #47
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For those interested in large numbers of free ebooks, be aware there are 43,000 at Amazon:
http://russellblake.com/new-year-new...opportunities/

Doesn't mean they're all worth getting but if free floats your boat...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #48
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I have more paper books than I can possibly read in the next decade....

I have more ebooks than I can possibly read in the next decade...

Nothing has changed in my habit of book acquisition; it's just easier to store the ebooks now.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #49
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I am much more proactive about limiting my acquisition of digital media (books, music, etc.) than I am of physical media. Alas, owning the Library of Alexandria means that I have to be the Librarian of Alexandria. Searching ships for new texts, transcribing those texts for the library, sorting through them, and dealing with the rest of the mess. Well, maybe it isn't quite that bad but I'm sure you get the point: the more you have the more you have to deal with. Even though wonderful tools like Calibre helps take off a lot of the load, it doesn't solve the problem completely. Since it is far easier to let digital collecting go unchecked (less visual feedback, fewer space constraints) it is easy for the librarian bit to get out of hand.

The other thing is that I don't understand having a 10 year reading collection. Tastes change, and it is nice to get newer titles when they come out. And let's face it, there are free books coming out all of the time (old public domain stuff is digitized, new stuff is created for the public domain or under creative commons or gratis). On top of that, formats are being improved all of the time. An old collection is stuck in the past. Do we really want to read ASCII Gutenberg titles because that was the only format they came in when we downloaded them 10 years ago?