Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #331
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I have really learn to love the Deep View feature. It is great to keep track of who's who in a book with a lot of characters. I'd really like to see the ability to jump to the passage that Deep View brings up. Often the little snippet that deep view shows isn't enough to give the information needed.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #332
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
I'm working on that. It won't exactly take you to the exact passage but it will be very, very close to what you're asking for.
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #333
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I am seriously considering dumping my Sony ereader and reading exclusively on my iPad just so I can use Marvin 100% of the time. It is the best software for reading, period. And the responsiveness of the developer (Kris) is amazing. Before I retired I did software development in a much smaller environment, and I was nowhere near as accommodating.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #334
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks icallaci. I really appreciate your feedback.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #335
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
I think it is very interesting to know how big a book is relative to another so this is something that I will actively investigate. It's just that I haven't found a way yet. Maybe I'll have "a moment of clarity" after this evening's party
My old eBookwise eBook reader showed the spine of the eBook in the library view with the width of the spine related to the length of the book just like a real book would be.

Dale
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #336
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
My old eBookwise eBook reader showed the spine of the eBook in the library view with the width of the spine related to the length of the book just like a real book would be.

Dale
The problem Kris runs against is that to determine the book length, he would have to open and read the book, paginate it, etc, probably a lengthy process.

In a proprietary device, you can do whatever you want.

As I understand it, Apple's terms forbid this in the background, though I see iBooks clearly doing exactly that in the background. Change the font size, and iBooks does it again, in the background, and calculates the new number of pages.

I guess Apple cheats......

Art
Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #337
kguil
Addict

The problem the way I see it is that if the formatting (font sizes, margins, etc...) between 2 books is different, then one book might appear to be "thicker" than the other when in fact it wouldn't be the case.

Another way... even if iBooks says that a book contains 300 pages, and another contains 600, the second book is not necessarily longer than the first because its font may be much larger.

I have an other idea though...
Old 12-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #338
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
To see product development like this must be an exemplary way for future app development!

Happy Christmas Kris et al....
Old 12-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #339
kguil
Addict

Thanks Richard, same to you and all your loved ones.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #340
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Art, let's not confuse 2 things here. Calculating the exact number of screens needed to display a book is one thing, and roughly indicating the length of a book is another thing.

The first is difficult to accomplish, and I don't need and don't expect Marvin to accomplish it. (It now does it on a chapter-by-chapter basis, which is fine with me.) The second should not be as difficult to accomplish, because Marvin already is, in fact, doing this. Otherwise, there'd be no way for Marvin to show, as it does now, that you're "16% in the book".

I'm a bit surprised by the difficulties here. I would go by the number of words in a book. It's not an exact criterion because the average number of words per sentence differs between various languages, but for the very limited purpose of showing the appropriate number of dots in Marvin's Library view, "number of words in a book" as criterion should do. I'm reminded of the old Mobipocket Reader software for desktop PCs that even shows "Estimated Reading Time" for every book in Library view. It probably calculates that on the basis of a criterion such as "number of words in a book".

Isn't an EPUB file something like a HTML file? To get the number of words in a HTML-formatted book, you simply need to strip all HTML tags. Whatever remains (plain-text), is the number of words in the e-book, and based on that, a very long e-book might get 25 dots in Marvin's Library view, a moderately long book 15 dots, and a booklet of a few pages perhaps only 3 or 5 dots.

Last edited by Faterson; 12-24-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #341
kguil
Addict

Faterson, I know exactly what you're after. I already have all the framework to extract things like word and sentence counts from a book... it is exactly what I use for Deep View.

My concern is the extra few seconds per import. Give me a few days to experiment and I'll come back with some concrete options.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #342
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Regarding dictionary lookups:

On second thought, a dedicated (but optional) Wiktionary button in Marvin might be useful. I've just tried reading a Polish e-book in Marvin. Looking up Polish-English translations in the Collins Polish-English dictionary (within the Lingvo app) works reasonably well:
  1. tap & hold a word in Marvin
  2. press the Copy button
  3. four-finger swipe to the right to open Lingvo
  4. read the translation there
  5. four-finger swipe to the left to return to Marvin
However, there is no Polish-Polish dictionary in the Lingvo app... and the only one I found in the App Store is an offline version of the Polish Wiktionary. So, why not make Wiktionary directly accessible from within Marvin? The Polish Wiktionary only contains about 28 thousand terms (while top-notch dictionaries might offer up to 70-100 thousand terms), but it's definitely better than nothing.

Russian or German work particularly well within Lingvo. You can, for example, set up the Collins Russian-English dictionary as the Lingvo default, but Lingvo will automatically show you not just the Russian-English translation of a term, but right below that, also the term's definition from the Russian-Russian dictionary. That's the best of both worlds at a single glance! And, as Kris mentioned, he might succeed in merging steps no. 2 and 3, above, into a single press of a button.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #343
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Exclamation

Bug report:

On Marvin restart, the Library view always defaults back to Added, even if a different view (such as Opened) was active in Library when Marvin closed previously.

Also, whenever a new book is imported into Marvin, the Library view switches to Added automatically. I don't think this should be enforced.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #344
kguil
Addict

Faterson:

A feature that I'm adding to Marvin is that, if you know the URL scheme for a dictionary app, you'll be able to create a custom "tap and hold" menu button in Marvin to take you to the definition of the selected text to a dictionary app of your choice. I'm still waiting for a reply from Abbyy regarding whether they have a URL scheme for Lingvo. If the Collins dictionary has one such as scheme, you'd be able to add a custom button in Marvin for it too.

Regarding the library sort bug, that is the way I had made it (it is by design). However, now that you mention it, I realise it was a lazy and somewhat stupid choice. I've already fixed Marvin to remember your last chosen sort order and default to it.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #345
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Thanks, Kris!

(The Collins dictionaries are sold as in-app purchases within the Lingvo app, so if Abbyy makes that URL scheme available, that will be all that is needed to access them.)
Closed Thread