Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
HariSeldon85
HariSeldon85 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
My Kindle 4 NT does not execute RUNME.sh!

Hi @ all,
I've tried with the verbose runme.sh from geekmaster, with the one included in ixtab method...but nothing works. i CANNOT JAILBREAK MY KINDLE 4 NT 4.1.0.
The runme.sh is not excuted: in fact i hadn't any runme.done nor i can't see anything on the screen when it should be in execution.

I'm supposed to do anything BEFORE place data.tar.gz and runme.sh in the kindle /mnt/us/ folder?

So Also the ixtab jailbreak method doesn't work.

As a result of this problem, i'm not able to install coolreader: it gives me error U007. I've tried this version : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...93#post1948393

Thanks @ everyone in advance.
I've read every thread before posting...but no solution.

Last edited by HariSeldon85; 09-02-2012 at 10:22 PM.
HariSeldon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
I believe you have to restart twice to install it. Once to jailbreak, and once to run the script.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Code U007

Was it posted somewhere here in the past couple of days that code U007 means: "All ready installed"?

In that thread, it was the result of working with a machine that had been received in a warranty exchange for a broken machine.
I.E: Used, refurbished, still had traces of prior owner's changes on it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Was it posted somewhere here in the past couple of days that code U007 means: "All ready installed"?

In that thread, it was the result of working with a machine that had been received in a warranty exchange for a broken machine.
I.E: Used, refurbished, still had traces of prior owner's changes on it.
Sorry, but this is complete bul***it.

U007 means that the update package can't be validated against any of the installed keys. In other words: the jailbreak isn't installed.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Sorry, but this is complete bul***it.

U007 means that the update package can't be validated against any of the installed keys. In other words: the jailbreak isn't installed.
Not quite that strong. It is not intentional, it is a lack of detailed memory of the post in question.

Please, nobody has to take up the recently vacated position of post critic.
Just post the correction.

If I make a mistake as critical as the language above indicates - there are two things to do:
1 - PM me so I can correct my post.
2 - Do not quote an in-correct post - I can and will edit mine, but I can't touch the contents quoted, the quoter has to do that (you make work for yourself to edit the quote once I edit the original).

Last edited by knc1; 09-02-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Advert
Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not quite that strong. It is not intentional, it is a lack of detailed memory of the post in question.

Please, nobody has to take up the recently vacated position of post critic.
Just post the correction.

If I make a mistake as critical as the language above indicates - there are two things to do:
1 - PM me so I can correct my post.
2 - Do not quote an in-correct post - I can and will edit mine, but I can't touch the contents quoted, the quoter has to do that (you make work for yourself to edit the quote once I edit the original).
or 3 - just let it be.

You were wrong, and I posted an objection to your statement (note: the statement. There was no ad-hominem attack anywhere). The objection may have been stated ... umm.... pretty clearly. But I'm confident that everybody here can take it.

PS: Since you insisted to introduce it: Are you serious about that "recently vacated position of post critic" thing? If so, then spit it out unambiguously, and I will also speak my mind. And no, this forum wouldn't benefit from an escalation. Just sayin': some people here have really contributed a lot to the community. Being a smart ass is easy, providing something constructive that people actually benefit from is a bit more work.

Last edited by ixtab; 09-03-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: typos & grammar
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The data.tar.gz exploit is plugged in 4.1.0. That means you can't use the 'easy' jailbreaks (from main).

You can try the long way (via diags), but if they *also* updated the diags part in recently shipped models, you're probably screwed. (Is the diags version visible anywhere on the screen?).

Like it's been explained, that means, yes, it's completely normal that a custom update package install fails with a U007 error .

(And, for FWIW, the 'fallback/catchall' error code is U006).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-03-2012 at 12:28 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
HariSeldon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The data.tar.gz exploit is plugged in 4.1.0. That means you can't use the 'easy' jailbreaks (from main).

You can try the long way (via diags), but if they *also* updated the diags part in recently shipped models, you're probably screwed. (Is the diags version visible anywhere on the screen?).

Like it's been explained, that means, yes, it's completely normal that a custom update package install fails with a U007 error .

(And, for FWIW, the 'fallback/catchall' error code is U006).
So, wait, let me understand:

The "Diags" way works: I am insied my kindle with root and SSH access. I've also intalled "kite" with the script installer (no error reported but nothing different in the Kindle OS).
But the "Diags" way isn't a real jailbreak: With the root access gained how can I install bin update files? I.E.: coolreader 3 ??

Thanks for all your replies guys.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@HariSeldon85: Yeah, the JB linked in the Wiki probably won't work on 4.1.0, it's only taking running from main into account. (From what I gathered, the K4 wiki is in an, let's say 'interesting' state (and stale, at the very least), regarding accuracy... If a knowledgeable K4 user/dev has a bit of spare time, it might be nice to clean it up a bit ).

Use Yifan's original package: http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-touch-jailbreak/

And follow the 'Universal method' from the Touch Wiki: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind....tar.gz_method (or Yifan's Method 3 in the previous link, but you probably don't need the double diags reboot).

Alternatively (and possibly faster/easier), once you're in an SSH prompt in diags, you can do it by hand:

Code:
mkdir -p /tmp/root
mount -o rw "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/tmp/root"
cat <<EOF >/tmp/root/etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem
-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----
MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDJn1jWU+xxVv/eRKfCPR9e47lP
WN2rH33z9QbfnqmCxBRLP6mMjGy6APyycQXg3nPi5fcb75alZo+Oh012HpMe9Lnp
eEgloIdm1E4LOsyrz4kttQtGRlzCErmBGt6+cAVEV86y2phOJ3mLk0Ek9UQXbIUf
rvyJnS2MKLG2cczjlQIDAQAB
-----END PUBLIC KEY-----
EOF
umount /tmp/root

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-03-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
HariSeldon85

Quote:

Code:
mkdir -p /tmp/root
mount -o rw "/dev/mmcblk0p1" "/tmp/root"
cat <<EOF >/tmp/root/etc/uks/pubdevkey01.pem
-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----
MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQDJn1jWU+xxVv/eRKfCPR9e47lP
WN2rH33z9QbfnqmCxBRLP6mMjGy6APyycQXg3nPi5fcb75alZo+Oh012HpMe9Lnp
eEgloIdm1E4LOsyrz4kttQtGRlzCErmBGt6+cAVEV86y2phOJ3mLk0Ek9UQXbIUf
rvyJnS2MKLG2cczjlQIDAQAB
-----END PUBLIC KEY-----
EOF
umount /tmp/root
Thanks !!
That's what i really mean...the wiki in very confusing about kindle 4 NT...

I've done in the quoted way...no error so far...
just 2 quick question:

1) The jaibreak is permanent? or I had to re-do it at every reboot?

2) How I can have a quick test to check if it is jailbroken?

Really thanks NiLuJe!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@HariSeldon85:

* Yup, it's permanent.

* Try to install a custom package, it shouldn't fail with a U007 error anymore .
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
HariSeldon85

Quote:
@HariSeldon85:

* Yup, it's permanent.

* Try to install a custom package, it shouldn't fail with a U007 error anymore .
Yes ! Everything works! Kile + coolreader! WOOHOO!
You've saved my life!

I can't really understand why the wiky is so messed up...

Maybe you're so gentle to tell me if there are some other applications for kindle4 NT other than coolerader ?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

There is a "master index" page in the forum sticky section above.
Follow it to the K4 "hacks" section.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@HariSeldon85: I don't have a K4, but it's very similar to the K2/K3, so most of the stuff targeted at these older devices should work.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
HariSeldon85

Quote:
@HariSeldon85: I don't have a K4, but it's very similar to the K2/K3, so most of the stuff targeted at these older devices should work.
Ok thanks!
I'd like to have a pdf text reflow and epub support...but I can't find any pdf reader that works, and coolreader for the epub format, can't let me decide the text size..I change it but it doesn't save.