Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
domromer
Enthusiast
domromer began at the beginning.

Device: Something that works well with libraries.
Downloading directly to 950?

I noticed the 950 has a wifi/3G connection. Is it possible to download books directley from places like smash words and feed books onto the 950?
domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
db100
db100 is on a distinguished road

I tested PDF with browser, it said "File format not supported" and you can neither open nor download with wifi without modification of browser source code.

I guess you will have same result in 3G mode.
db100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Unfortunately you cannot download from other sources. On 3G you can download from the Sony Reader Store only. On Wi-fi you can download from the store + Google Books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
domromer
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I noticed in your profile for device it says "something that works well with libraries". I can tell you that the Sony models work great with libraries. I am fortunate to live in an area with a massive e-library selection, and I borrow a lot of ebooks!
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
domromer
Enthusiast

I've yet to update my bio. I've since bought a 350 and it works well with my library as well. I was just thinking the extra screen space on the 950 might be nice. I was also hoping to be able to download books like I do with my iPad through stanza.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

It's disappointing Sony didn't add that feature. I like to download from feedbooks to my Kindle 3 so I understand what you mean.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
domromer
Enthusiast

I didn't know you could download to the kindle. Have you tried other services like project guttenberg?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Yes, the K3 can download from project guttenberg and the mobileread library too. If you are interested in public domain, you can download from Google Books through the Sony 950 Wi-Fi. The negative is that the Google Books are not as well-formatted as the other sites. The positive is that sometimes they have great illustrations incorporated into the ebook.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
domromer
Enthusiast

I didn't know you could do the kindle. Is that through the websites or a built in function of the kindle?

I really wish kindle woud support epub and over drive. They would take the entire ebook market with those features.

I bought my Mother a kindle for her birthday. I'll have to show her how to download the free books.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I bought a Kindle for a family member too. She also has limited funds to spend on books so one of the first things I did was show her how to download public domain books. There are two methods. You can use the Kindle browser to visit the mobile versions of the websites and click the download links just like you would on your computer. Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks and MobileRead also have books that are basically comprised of links that you click and it downloads without having to use the browser. You can find out more at this thread link.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92311

On the other hand, I bought my mom a Sony 505. She is computer savvy, and she wanted to borrow books from her local e-library.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
Interesting topic.

It really would be nice to be able to download from Gutenberg and other Public Domain sources.

I'm assuming at some point Sony will make this possible, because I think it would be a frequent request of customers.

Would Sony be able to add this functionality in the future through a firmware update? Or would one have to wait for new hardware, if one wanted to do this?
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Yes, Sony definitely could do a firmware update to allow downloads. However, if past experience is a predictor of future actions, then I don't have high hopes for a firmware update. Sony tends to make software improvements in the next generation of hardware.