Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I know I have neglected my SGP5 and my KFHD somewhat. Since I got a new replacement KFHD I need to read on that more. I read on both the KFHD and PW at night. Good thing I suffer from insomnia.

Though I love Helvetica font it is nice and dark I can see that fine on the PW.

I am glad you love your PW Blossom. and everyone. It is great isn't it? Especially with the ads gone, and with the Amazon cover magnet, open and start reading.
I just use the PW at night. No complaints from hubby yet!
I use the SGP5 as a companion to look up stuff and posts Goodreads statuses as I read. It's the perfect Kindle for me and now I have my Amasis font back the lack of contrast doesn't bother me anymore.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #62
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Get the official one if you can afford it. It's really nice and well worth it. It makes the Kindle feel like a book.

Congrats on your Kindle! I love mine. And it's really easy to add Fonts to. I now have my beloved Amasis back and I couldn't love the PW more. I haven't touched another Kindle since getting this one.
Can you add fonts without jailbreak?
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #63
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Can you add fonts without jailbreak?
Yes.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=202238&page=2
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #64
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
Thanks
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #65
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
You're welcome.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #66
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
...snipped...
now... if only someone would create a notepad app for it, I'd be delighted.
I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_myk_ro_title

Would that work for you?
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #67
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_myk_ro_title

Would that work for you?
That won't work yet on the PW, but Notepad Plus (A Notepad, Diary and Task List for Kindle) would.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #68
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
So Notepad Plus works on the Pw? Wonderful! I keep track of the books I read on the Notepad app on my K3, and not having a notepad app for the PW was the last hurdle in my deciding to love the PW.

now, to figure out if there's a way through my computer to copy files from one app to the other. the 7 Dragons Notepad stores the files as txt files.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #69
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
That won't work yet on the PW, but Notepad Plus (A Notepad, Diary and Task List for Kindle) would.
Hmm, I did not realize that. Notepad still works on my Touch even after upgrading to 5.3.2 so I thought it would work on the PW. Sorry for the bum steer.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #70
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
Hmm, I did not realize that. Notepad still works on my Touch even after upgrading to 5.3.2 so I thought it would work on the PW. Sorry for the bum steer.
I am sure there is nothing wrong with it running directly on the PW. It is not an firmware issue, but a supported devices issue. You can only download active content to supported devices. And on Notepad it does not list the PW yet. Simply copying from the Touch to PW won't work because of the DRM.

Edit: Come to think about it, it might not work without modification. After all the resolution of the PW is higher than on the Touch.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-13-2013 at 12:44 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #71
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

for someone using Notepad Plus: can I edit the files it creates with a text editor on my computer? are the files saved as TXT files, or some proprietary format?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #72
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
But SD cards are just one form of flash memory. They have different controllers but I believe the semiconductor construction is the same. Whatever else you are using is just as likely (or unlikely) to be corrupted by metal detectors in the powered-off state, isn't it?

I have read there is huge variance in the resulting quality of flash memory. Some cells go bad after only a few thousand write/read cycles. It depends on the fabrication processes used (some manufactures are better than others). Recent research is pointing toward extending flash lifespan by adding a microscopic heater circuit. Exciting times!
Not only the controller is different (slower), the ECC is way lower (Error correction), as well as the construction of SD cards is more volatile to both heat and mechanical abuse than a USB stick.
Quite some chinese card readers put the full 5V USB voltage on SD cards (they operate at 3.6V), thus overheating the device and resulting in shortened life.
USB sticks always will have a 5V input, regardless of on which computer you plug it in (provided it's not a broken one).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #73
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
for someone using Notepad Plus: can I edit the files it creates with a text editor on my computer? are the files saved as TXT files, or some proprietary format?
Notepad ++ is a windows program.
Any other notepad program is a regular text editor.

You probably be able to find an ascii or binary editor, or an HTML editor if you search a bit.

But nothing like Notepad ++
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #74
BeccaPrice
Wizard

no, there is a Paperwhite app called Notepad Plus, which is different from Notepad ++