Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Jaede
Enthusiast
Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
When is Enough 'Enough'

What a strange question to ask, and yet I find myself asking this of myself more and more often.

I love to read, and I do read often, but at the same time I still find myself looking for more stuff to read while having plenty of stuff to read.

Since 2008, since I first bought an Ereader, I have been on a quest to replace my entire paperback library with the electronic version of it. Given that my library was a thousand books plus it seemed a daunting task, and an expensive one. But with enough time, patience, and a willingness to look in the darker corners of cyberspace when money became an issue, I was able to do it.

After clearing that goal it should have been the end. My aim was to be able to carry around the library I had built in the physical world, and to that I was successful. However, with that in hand, I fell victim to the vice of greed. I kept buying, kept hunting, kept err. . . .acquiring.

So yesterday I pushed the book count on my reader to just over four thousand. And again I thought I must be done. Four thousand is a good number. If you're in between three and four you're always thinking about getting to four. But if you're at the beginning of four it's so far away from five that to make the trip would be almost not worth it. I have more than I can read in a lifetime, or at least for the next twenty years.

Thus today I was reading Robin Hobb's Forest Mage, and the bug to find more hits me again. I find myself putting down the Ereader, getting on the computer, and hunting again. Here's the kicker-every search, every legitimate bookstore, every result that pops up I've seen it already.....nothing new.

Is it a sign, I wonder. Can it be there are no more oceans to cross, and all that explorer jazz? Was the quest to buy, and or. . . ."cough" acquire all those books more fulfilling than actually having them? When is Enough 'Enough'?

I'm not really asking anybody what they think of this. I'm sort of asking myself, but putting my thoughts into a forum for book lovers just feels right. I still think the Ereader is the greatest thing to happen since music went digital, and to say I have more books than music is an awesome thing. But sometimes a kid in a candy store can still get sick from eating too much candy.

PS-Is there a Willy Wonka for bookworms, and if so, how awesome would it be to win a lifetime supply of books?
Jaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
But you realize what a nice round even number 5000 is?

I'm only approaching 1400 books, but I can easily see myself in your situation too. And yes, I've no doubt I'd go for the 5k mark!

Last edited by Ripplinger; 12-25-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Jaede
Enthusiast
Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaede ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
AaaaaaaH!

It burns my brain. Five thousand is an awesome number. It's half of ten thousand. Oh, how it tortures my OCD. The wife tells me I have more than enough. But five thousand!

No. NO. NOPE! I can't do it. I'd have to start digging into public domain works to reach that number. I technically have enough books to reach said number, but I've tried with my library to only put in authors I might actually read. I'm sure someday when I'm an invalid at ninety, and have lost the will to live I might even read the Twilight Series.
Jaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
I feel your pain, I just hope I live long enough to read all the ebooks I've accumulated!
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
But you realize what a nice round even number 5000 is?

I'm only approaching 1400 books, but I can easily see myself in your situation too. And yes, I've no doubt I'd go for the 5k mark!
But 5000 is such an odd number!

Even numbers are much happier because they can be pared and no one is odd!

As far as books go there can be never enough in my library. Moods and interests change and the wider the choices of material to read makes for a richer and wider range of choices.

That and new authors that are bringing out such wonderful reads all the time.

Why stop at 5000?

DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
If sheer numbers appeal to you search on ebay for the BLACKMASK ebook DVDs.
Depending on the version you'll get 25-30,000 ebooks. No need to trawl dark places.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Jaede thanks for sharing.

I don't have an acquisition oriented nature, am not particularly material and love to keep 'things' forever that have importance to me (but regularly get rid of 'junk', though there's never much because I don't buy 'things' for the sake of it).

However, hmmmmm, I sometimes feel the 'urge' to acquire whole series of books that I will probably never to get to reading because there is so much darn else to read!!

Now that I'm into a very large and time consuming non-fiction project, in the sense that it will take years of knowledge acquisition, it makes even less sense to 'want' to acquire the freebies even that crop up with regularity in the genres I like in the threads I continue to subscribe to.

Yes, it's like a compulsion!!! And whilst I am aware of it, it doesn't make it less compulsive!

So, whilst you may not have been looking for company you certainly have it with moi.

As it's the party end of the year, I think I'll drink to it.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Nothing wrong with 5000, but 10,000 is twice as nice. And 11,111 is a very fine number. And 12,345 has a certain charm. ...

It doesn't end, I'm afraid. I've been down this path before.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #9
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaede View Post
Is it a sign, I wonder. Can it be there are no more oceans to cross, and all that explorer jazz? Was the quest to buy, and or. . . ."cough" acquire all those books more fulfilling than actually having them? When is Enough 'Enough'?
Just consider yourself a collector who is building the finest collection of ebooks ever. Once you're in this mindset, numbers are meaningless
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
I completely understand your dilemma. I have roughly the same amount of books, and have replaced all of my physical library and then some. I am one of those if I like a series, I must have the whole series, or if I like an author I want everything by him or her. Then I spend hours fixing cover art and tags on calibre. I probably spend more time maintains and organizing my library than reading lol. It is definitely an addiction!
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #11
Joan M
Did someone say Python?
Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Joan M 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Tablet
Well, I can relate, but in a different way. I assumed I would never get an e-reader. Not only did I figure I wouldn't enjoy the digital book experience, I simply couldn't afford new books these days and have been availing myself of all that a big-city public library has to offer.

Then, just a few months ago, a friend gifted me with a Kindle and a 500 gig hard drive containing over 62,000 titles. And that's not counting the PDF's.

Now I spend my time cleaning up the database, then I read a book I never would have thought of reading, then I clean a little more. You never know where life will take you, do you?
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
These were all books which your friend was legally allowed to give you, I hope. MobileRead VERY STRONGLY DISCOURAGES eBook piracy and we will not permit these forums to be used to encourage criminal activities.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan M View Post
Well, I can relate, but in a different way. I assumed I would never get an e-reader. Not only did I figure I wouldn't enjoy the digital book experience, I simply couldn't afford new books these days and have been availing myself of all that a big-city public library has to offer.

Then, just a few months ago, a friend gifted me with a Kindle and a 500 gig hard drive containing over 62,000 titles. And that's not counting the PDF's.

Now I spend my time cleaning up the database, then I read a book I never would have thought of reading, then I clean a little more. You never know where life will take you, do you?
Joan what a wonderful friend, what a wonderful gift!!

Happy reading
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not "wonderful" at all if they were pirated books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #15
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaede View Post
But with enough time, patience, and a willingness to look in the darker corners of cyberspace when money became an issue, I was able to do it.
It's not that dark in cyberspace. 'Enough' will come when your habit attracts attention to your IP address and someone knocks on your door, confiscates your computer, and closes the cuffs on your hands. It happens and your habit coupled with your desire to publicly confess your sins, post your address and occupation in your profile, and possibly pursue this hobby using government computers is reckless.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote