Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Downloading library books to PRS-950

Can I directly download epub books from my local local library's web site to the PRS-950? Or does the 950 only support downloads from the Sony's Reader Store?
NLight95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Unfortunately, no. You can only download directly from the Sony Reader Store. You will have to transfer library books to your 950 via USB cable using either Sony Reader Library or Adobe Digital Editions software. I use Reader Library.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
cko1x
cko1x doesn't littercko1x doesn't litter

Device: Sony Daily Reader PRS950
Library loading to PRS-950

You can download epub files from the library into Sony Reader on your PC and can then transfer them to the PRS-950 via USB and Calibre as well as USB and Reader software. However if you get an Adobe PDF file from the library, you must transfer it to the PRS-950 via the USB through your PC's Reader software. This has something to do with authorizing the PRS-950 to Adobe. I've also found the PDFs cannot be loaded directly to the memory chips in either slot on the PRS-950. I have had to load the PDF to both the 950's main memory and to the memory chip and then delete the copy on the 950's main memory. If you load a PDF to the memory chip without loading it onto the main memory first, it gets a DRM error and connot be read.
cko1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
NLight95
Connoisseur
NLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enoughNLight95 will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know if Sony has any plans to update the 950 firmware to support file downloads?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post
Does anyone know if Sony has any plans to update the 950 firmware to support file downloads?
It's unlikely. Sony does not have a history of introducing firmware updates unless it is something significant. They typically roll improvements into the next model series. I'm also not sure that they agree that downloads from other sites is an important feature.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLight95 View Post
I would say there is NO chance of this. All of the companies that put out ereaders want you to BUY the books from their store first and foremost. Yes they allow library books and other estore store books but the SONY store comes first in the Sony world.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
NLight95
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cko1x View Post
You can download epub files from the library into Sony Reader on your PC and can then transfer them to the PRS-950 via USB and Calibre as well as USB and Reader software. However if you get an Adobe PDF file from the library, you must transfer it to the PRS-950 via the USB through your PC's Reader software. This has something to do with authorizing the PRS-950 to Adobe. I've also found the PDFs cannot be loaded directly to the memory chips in either slot on the PRS-950. I have had to load the PDF to both the 950's main memory and to the memory chip and then delete the copy on the 950's main memory. If you load a PDF to the memory chip without loading it onto the main memory first, it gets a DRM error and connot be read.
Would there be any reason to use ADE over the Sony Reader software? Which do you find easier to use?

If I downloaded a library PDF to my PC could I then transfer it to the 950 using Windows Explorer?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
lilhendy
lilhendy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950
I keep trying to download my books from my reader library on my laptop, onto my reader; it keeps processing but nothing happens. Can you tell me how to correct this and get my books onto my reader? The Sony techs haven't been able to help me after a number of calls and frustrating talks with them.
lilhendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
cko1x
cko1x doesn't littercko1x doesn't litter

Device: Sony Daily Reader PRS950
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhendy View Post
I keep trying to download my books from my reader library on my laptop, onto my reader; it keeps processing but nothing happens. Can you tell me how to correct this and get my books onto my reader? The Sony techs haven't been able to help me after a number of calls and frustrating talks with them.
Please describe the problem in more detail and someone might be able to help you. What kind of laptop (PC or Mac)? What software (Sony Reader or Calibre or ?)? Is your USB cable good (Can it be used to communicate with any other device)? Is the USB port on the PC good (do you use it for anything else)? Is the USB port on the PRS-950 good (can you see anything on the reader with the Sony Reader software or Calibre or ?)?
cko1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhendy View Post
I keep trying to download my books from my reader library on my laptop, onto my reader; it keeps processing but nothing happens.
L, You probably have a bad book in the mix which is hanging up the transfer.

Click on Status in the left column to check the transmission process.

Transfer one book at a time until you figure out which one is bad.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote