Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #256
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Pre 20th Century literature was mostly just the popular lit of the period .Some is damned hard to read if not impossible.But at leastat their is a ripping yarn (war vampires monsters mystery and murder). Us phillistines love a ripping yarn , but modern literature is plane boring navel gazing dross.
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #257
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
For some reason I've always contrasted Tolstoy with Dickens: Dicken's stories are very interesting, and fun, and much much more, but somehow they're not entirely believable. War and Peace and Anna Karenina were completely believable: there wasn't an iota of artifice.

Give it an eleventyfirst try.
I never could 'get' Dickens - you made me want to try reading Tolstoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Yes, there are some translations out there that are very hard to read, and no translation can compete with the original text (IMO). The Iliad and the Odyssey are my favourite works of Greek lit. Book 24 of the Iliad is quite possibly my favourite piece of lit overall - it get me crying every time I read it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course. I have seen many people name many books that I wasn't fond of as their favourites. (I was never crazy about Hemingway, for example, and I felf that Byatt's "Possession" was just O.K. Sometimes things are worth another try, however; perhaps I read Hemingway and Byatt at a time when for some reason or another (exams, a flu, etc.) I couldn't enjoy them as much as I would have at some other time. Perhaps another read would have me viewing them differently.
Perhaps another book by Byatt? After all, "Possesion" is a romance and slightly out of the way for Byatt. But... I feel Byatt may be too intellectual in a thouroughly modern way for many. I like her a lot, but I've met few who feel they can 'connect' with her writing. It's 'too intellectual' and 'too dry' they say. That is what I like myself - I think.

I have a (supposedly) good modern translation of the Iliad - and you made me want to read it. I'm very much in favour of translations that can convey language in a contemporary way when we deal with ancient works. Often we read 100+ year old translations and they sound - rightly - oldfashioned. But for 1000 year old (or older) texts, I think it's better to look for a translation that work well in the current language.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #258
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agree with you completely. It's a pity that so few people these days are able to read these works in their original language.
Most people don't have the means to hire a private tutor to learn Latin and Ancient Greek. I envy those who had the opportunity to learn these languages in school. My school system barely taught English.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #259
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
Most people don't have the means to hire a private tutor to learn Latin and Ancient Greek. I envy those who had the opportunity to learn these languages in school. My school system barely taught English.
Mine neither. And Danish wasn't much better either.

Seriously, I would have loved an introduction to latin and classical greek. As it is, I've had to do it myself
Old 01-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #260
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I never could 'get' Dickens - you made me want to try reading Tolstoy.

Perhaps another book by Byatt? After all, "Possesion" is a romance and slightly out of the way for Byatt. But... I feel Byatt may be too intellectual in a thouroughly modern way for many. I like her a lot, but I've met few who feel they can 'connect' with her writing. It's 'too intellectual' and 'too dry' they say. That is what I like myself - I think.

I have a (supposedly) good modern translation of the Iliad - and you made me want to read it. I'm very much in favour of translations that can convey language in a contemporary way when we deal with ancient works. Often we read 100+ year old translations and they sound - rightly - oldfashioned. But for 1000 year old (or older) texts, I think it's better to look for a translation that work well in the current language.
I agree with you 100% about translations, and I am glad that I made you want to read the Iliad, I hope that you enjoy it!

I have got my hands on Byatt's "The Children's Book", and will begin reading it shortly. It may have been that I didn't enjoy Possession as much as I should have because it is a romance novel, I do read romance novels from time to time but it is not my favourite genre by any stretch of the imagination. Also, I came into reading the book with high expectations for it, so maybe I was setting myself up to be overly critical. There were many elements of the book that I enjoyed, however, so I will be glad to try another novel by A.S. Byatt.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #261
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
(1) I have neglected this string for a while. I came back and found that a Homer war has broken out. (Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition.) I'm in favor of Homer.

(2) Rereading has been mentioned in several posts. We're presumably talking about real literature here, not transient trash. Any literary work that is worth reading, is worth rereading. I find it especially valuable to reread immediately, or almost immediately, after a first reading. The first time I am concerned with the basic story. The second time, I pick up details and subtleties I missed the first time through.

(3) The original post referred to works published before 1960. If I may take the liberty of stretching that by two years, my own nominee is To Kill A Mockingbird, a book ostensibly about race, but really about class. The black characters are not real people, but strips of litmus paper whose only function is to tell the good white people from the bad white people. The good white people are, for the most part, the respectable sort. People like Harper Lee, in other words. The bad white people are the rednecks.
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #262
tyler.
tyler. began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:

Seriously, I would have loved an introduction to latin and classical greek. As it is, I've had to do it myself
Gah, forget having someone teach me - I'd love to have the skills to teach myself a language!
tyler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #263
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
You don't need a tutor - lots of excellent "self-study" courses around. I certainly wasn't taught either in school; I learned them independently as an adult. Let me know if you want recommendations.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:01 AM   #264
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler. View Post
Gah, forget having someone teach me - I'd love to have the skills to teach myself a language!
*G* I just said 'introduction'. I haven't had the stamina to keep at it,so I can't really read that much If you'd like to dip your toes in latin, I can warmly recommend this book: Lingua latina per se illustrata.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #265
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a pity that so few people these days are able to read these works in their original language.
In order to read a book in its original language you must know/understand language a lot more than a mere 1-2 years of self studying.
1. You must have a huge vocabulary, if you want to read a book and enjoy the content instead of breaking up concentration and looking every other word in a dictionary.
2. You must know its grammar well enough to understand subtleties and different shades of the language, thus different situations.

In order to master even one foreign language to this level you must invest an incedible amount of time, even if you are talented you still need the vocabulary. Studying a new language to a level required to enjoy a book and understand it better than if you read a professional translation (really understand all the emotions, not just getting the gist), will require as much time as changing your career, or more....
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 AM   #266
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
In order to master even one foreign language to this level you must invest an incedible amount of time, even if you are talented you still need the vocabulary. Studying a new language to a level required to enjoy a book and understand it better than if you read a professional translation (really understand all the emotions, not just getting the gist), will require as much time as changing your career, or more....
Now I almost feel it's a wonder that I can read English fiction and enjoy it, too. Aren't you being a little over the top here? I've certainly never felt learning English has been a career
Old 01-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #267
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
In order to read a book in its original language you must know/understand language a lot more than a mere 1-2 years of self studying.
1. You must have a huge vocabulary, if you want to read a book and enjoy the content instead of breaking up concentration and looking every other word in a dictionary.
2. You must know its grammar well enough to understand subtleties and different shades of the language, thus different situations.

Well, not quite as much time as changing your career. But you are right, it takes a lot of time to get to learn a new language, especially a "dead" language. It is, in my opinion, worth it, however.

I didn't learn Greek or Latin in school either, and I don't even think either of them are offered in many high schools. In Croatia many high schoolers learn pretty basic latin, and while Greek is offered in some schools those are few and far between.

My first Latin textbook was the famous "Wheelock's Latin Course", which is a great introduction, IMO. For Greek, I think the Athenaze courses don't look too bad. (In my Greek course we didn't use a textbook, we used a reference grammar and an excercise book).

Also, there are some great editions of Greek and Latin texts that have extensive vocabulary notes coupled with a few lines of text per page, so that you learn vocabulary by actually reading original text. A great example of this is Pharr's edition of Virgil's "Aeneid". Also, there are free programs and sites such as "Perseus Project" and "Diogenes" which allow you to read original Greek and Latin text, but when you click on a word you don't know the dictionary entry for it pops up. A great tool for people who want to read text but don't want to keep running to their dictionary every 2 seconds.

Happy reading!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #268
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now I almost feel it's a wonder that I can read English fiction and enjoy it, too. Aren't you being a little over the top here? I've certainly never felt learning English has been a career
It depends on your background too.
For example, for people from Western Europe it is easier to learn English, German, Spanish, Italian, French then for other people. I know for sure that for Swedish people it is a lot easier to learn English than for Bulgarians. They also start to learn the language at earlier age.

What I said applies to adults and languages that are not similar to our mother tongue.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:48 AM   #269
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Try to learn Russian now. To a level that will allow you to properly enjoy the books, not just "understanding most of it, so it is not a problem".
We will see how many years it will take and how many years/hours of boring memorising of words to build up your vocabulary. Just passive vocabulary, I am not talking about active, you don't need it for reading books.