Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True, but it still "counts" pages the same way.
True.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:58 AM   #17
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I must be the only one who likes the device-independent sidebar numbering. I do a lot of academic reading, and to be able to cite a source I've read on a e-reader, I need something more consistent than "in font size L, it's page 155 of 823".
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:25 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I must be the only one who likes the device-independent sidebar numbering. I do a lot of academic reading, and to be able to cite a source I've read on a e-reader, I need something more consistent than "in font size L, it's page 155 of 823".
No, I like them as well. I tend to read books on both my 5" Pocketbook 360, and my 6" BeBook Neo, and the device independence of the ADE page numbers means that I can easily look what page I'm on on one reader, and go to the same page on the other. It's a huge benefit.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:56 AM   #19
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Not at all. I think it's important and am unsure why so many people get up in arms about it.

The fact that they do no display on my 900 is "noticeable." At least the status still shows a device-independent page number.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:25 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
True, but it still "counts" pages the same way.
Yes it does. So the status bar page numbers will be the same regardless of what's in the margin or not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
It'd be nice to have both options... If you're only using one device, I'd rather have a consistent page count that gives you a good idea of how far you are into a book. For multiple devices and citations, I can see the advantage of "hard" page numbering.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
It'd be nice to have both options... If you're only using one device, I'd rather have a consistent page count that gives you a good idea of how far you are into a book. For multiple devices and citations, I can see the advantage of "hard" page numbering.
A remarkable statement. How does "hard" page numbering like page 250 of 500 not give you a good idea of how far you are into a book???? You can't get any more consistent then this.

I can understand not wanting the number in the margin and I can understand people who would prefer to know how many times they are going to have to push the next page button. I just find it hard to understand nonsensical statements.

Might I suggest you use PRS+ (very easy to install) then you can add a percentage and it will not only say 250 of 500 but you can optionally turn on a percentage feature so you will also see (50%) .
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #23
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Because the pages don't correspond to screens. So if I bump my font up and down as I'm reading, or I don't do the math that it takes 3 screens to equal one "page" of the ePub at a certain font size and multiply out the remaining "pages" to arrive at screens left, it's easy to be unsure of how many "screens" or "pages" are left in the book as displayed on one's reader.

Yes, you'll always have a rough idea of how far you are into the book, but it's not as precise.

Last edited by Teddman; 03-16-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #24
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Yes, you'll always have a rough idea of how far you are into the book, but it's not as precise.
I understand, knowing your on page 250 of 500 isn't precise enough , you want to know how many more times you're going to have to press the button.

What drives me nuts is that most novels these days have some sort of Author section at the end, screws up knowing how many more pages or button pushes until the end of the novel, doesn't it? Here I am expecting 15 more pages when all of a sudden the story ends.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #25
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
Thank you guys for those very informative replies.

Now I learned to set the right margin 15 px in the Calibre software to leave room for the page number, so it won't interfere with the main text of the eBook.
tao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, calibre conversion, page numbers, sony 505