Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
Case for Kindle DX Graphite

I just received my Kindle DX graphite and am looking for a case for it.

I have a Sony PRS-505 with the included case. While the 505 case is nothing exceptional I like it for reading and for the protection it provides for the screen when I am carrying the reader in my flight-bag among other books and papers.

I would like a similar case for the DX - doesn't get in the way when reading but still offering protection for the screen. The M-edge GO! case looks good but I cannot find any indication of the strength and protection capabilities of the cover. Does anyone have this case? If so how strong/thick is the cover? Since I carry the device vertically with papers/books on either side of it I do not need a hard case.

I also saw the Eco-nique natural Hemp case which appeals to me. However it is more substantial then the M-edge and maybe heavier which would make it less desirable when reading. Also there is no indication of the cover strength/thickness. Does anyone have one of these? If so would you recommend it? This case is at the upper end of my price range so I would really appreciate any additional information about it.

Any other cases I should look at?

Thanks,

Kees
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
avlad
avlad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, DX, DXG
I have the latest Kindle DX Black Leather cover. Works perfect for my DXG.
avlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
+1 for the Amazon new Kindle DX case. I have it and really like it.
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 PM   #4
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I swear if someone produced a nice leather / ballistic nylon cover that had a lightweight metal face (insert) to protect the screen, they would make a fortune.

The screen on the DX is so vulnerable, yet no case manufacturers seem to care. My Octovo case for my K2 is as close to a trustworthy cover I've ever found for a Kindle. I currently have the Timbuk2 case for my KDX graphite, and it doesn't instill confidence with respect to protecting the screen.

It's just a fabric cover with no rigid screen protection.

Everyone on Amazon seems to clamor for a rigid screen protection case. Guess I just have to open my own case business to produce one...Hmm...
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I bought a "Go" and didn't like it - it's relatively thin, the Kindle comes right up to the edge on the right hand side, offering no protection for the corners of the Kindle if it's dropped, and there's no way to keep the cover closed.

I like the M-Edge Platform for it's padded protection, but it's not the 'perfect' case for me. I've ordered a Noreve, hoping it'll come close enough to 'perfect' that I can stop searching. I bought a used Oberon, which is a gorgeous cover just for the artwork and is pretty good protection, but there's a big piece of wool felt inside that fits against the screen, and since I fold it back and read that way my hand rests on the wool, and I find it scratchy and irritating, and therefore distracting.

There are other threads about covers either on this page or the next one.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have an Oberon Purple Sun case for my DXG. The Oberon covers are expensive but they do a great job protecting the Kindle and are beautiful. It has a pad in the cover that helps to protect the screen. If you have a problem with the wool pad you can ask them to not include the pad and they will leave it off.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
fabman
fabman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Paperwhite, kindle dx graphite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeska View Post
I just received my Kindle DX graphite and am looking for a case for it.
I have the Octovo Vintage for Kindle DX, is not cheap ( a bit expensive ), but the vintage leather feels like reading an old book. and it's quite sturdy.

http://j.mp/czHh33
fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
The Amazon case fits your requirements well. Hard cover protects the screen, easily folds all the way back and the elastic enclosure works when closed or folded open. Not sexy but very practical.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
Quote:
Not sexy but very practical.
Oh, I disagree My burnt orange case looks very nice with the DXG (and the orange is a LOT less bright than the website suggests...)

Polbit
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
I use a slip cover from www.sfbags.com. It is the smallest and lightest cover I could imagine. There is an extra semi-rigid plastic sheet sewn in to protect the screen. I am very happy with it.
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by polbit View Post
Oh, I disagree My burnt orange case looks very nice with the DXG (and the orange is a LOT less bright than the website suggests...)

Polbit
I stand corrected.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #12
keeska
Connoisseur
keeska has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony T1, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Note 3
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I looked at the Oberon cases - very nice but too expensive for my budget.

I also looked at the Amazon cases but am concerned about the damage to the kindle it has caused for some people. Is it really a problem or is the damage the result of the user not taking enough care? I assume that if I order one today I will get the new one and not the previous version?

I was concerned that the "GO!" was too thin to protect well. Thank you for the confirmation.

I am looking at the sgbags site now.
keeska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, cover, kindle dx