Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Akd44145
Akd44145 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Changing accounts the Kindle is registered to...

Hi,

I have a Kindle 2 and it is registered to my Amazon account. My husband just received one as a gift and I wanted him to register it to my account so we could share books. In his excitement though he forgot and registered it to his own account.

I know we can de-register it and re-register it to my account but am I correct in thinking that if we do that we will not be able to access the three books he has already purchased on his account?
Akd44145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akd44145 View Post
Hi,

I have a Kindle 2 and it is registered to my Amazon account. My husband just received one as a gift and I wanted him to register it to my account so we could share books. In his excitement though he forgot and registered it to his own account.

I know we can de-register it and re-register it to my account but am I correct in thinking that if we do that we will not be able to access the three books he has already purchased on his account?
Honestly, I'm not sure about the 2 accounts issue.
In my understanding, the books are bound to the pid (kind of serial number of the reader) not to the account. So they still might be working.

If their file extension is .azw, they easily can be stripped from DRM (kind of copy protection) and can be read on any reader capable of Mobipocket (.mobi or .prc) files.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akd44145 View Post
Hi,

You are correct, he can use the ebooks in your account once he deregisters from his account and registers to your account, but the three books he purchased on his account will not come over to your joint account. The only way for you to get access to them is to deregister from your account, register at his account and pick up the books and then deregister and go back to your account.

The only other solution is to remove the drm from the books that he bought on his account.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote