Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 AM   #1
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Language support in Opus and Bebook mini

I am chosing between an Opus and a Bebook Mini, and it is pretty even between them. I read a lot in both english and swedish, so my question is: Do they support swedish?
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:22 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Opus will not displays menus, etc, in Swedish, but it certainly supports Swedish books - its built-in fonts contain the accented characters that Swedish uses.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I realised later that Bebook links to swedish books at their webpage. Which of course mean they support swedish.

I wasn't sure about the opus though. So thanks for clarifying that.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Opus will not displays menus, etc, in Swedish, but it certainly supports Swedish books - its built-in fonts contain the accented characters that Swedish uses.
Does it support hyphenation? And if so does it support Swedish hyphenation?

Language specific support is interesting. Will it use ''quote'' intead of ``quote'' for example?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, ePub currently has no hypenation support on the Opus (or on any other ADE implementation, AFAIK).
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
What exactly is hyphenation?

Languages on the Mini:
something Japanese looking
English
another something Japanese looking
Russion
Ukrainian
Espanol
Turkish
French
Deutch
Bulgarian
Catala
Czech
Greek
Estonian
Magyar
Italian
Japanese
Korea
Dutch
Norwegian
Polski
Romana
Slovensko

So, no Swedish...

----

I find it funny that some languages are written in their own language and others in English...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Breaking a long word across two lines with a hypen. Eg, splitting the word "introduction" into "intro-" at the end of one line, and "duction" at the beginning of the next line.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hyphenation (in this case) is ability of the reading engine to break words in proper places for a particular language for linewrapping. Usually involves putting a hyphen (dash, '-') at the end of the line to indicate that the word is continued on the next line. E.g. German texts would be about impossible to read without it with their long words.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have a look at the PocketBook 360.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
mikaelalind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Languages on the Mini:
something Japanese looking
English
another something Japanese looking
Russion
Ukrainian
Espanol
Turkish
French
Deutch
Bulgarian
Catala
Czech
Greek
Estonian
Magyar
Italian
Japanese
Korea
Dutch
Norwegian
Polski
Romana
Slovensko

So, no Swedish...

----

I find it funny that some languages are written in their own language and others in English...
the menus are in english, but I think that if I load a novel in Swedish, it would work since they list Swedish books on the ebook page. I figure they wouldn't do that if you couldn't read books in Swedish on a Bebook.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Have a look at the PocketBook 360.
Where can we have a look at it, kacir? The Pocketbook 360 doesn't actually appear to be on sale anywhere.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Where can we have a look at it, kacir? The Pocketbook 360 doesn't actually appear to be on sale anywhere.
You can buy one direct from the company via a bank transfer. And I think MR user Forkosigan sells them from Germany.

Last edited by igorsk; 10-07-2009 at 05:13 PM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
the menus are in english, but I think that if I load a novel in Swedish, it would work since they list Swedish books on the ebook page. I figure they wouldn't do that if you couldn't read books in Swedish on a Bebook.
If I pick another language from that list, the menu changes. I have now Turkish, and I can't read it anymore....

If you mean by reading Swedish, does it show the Swedish diacritics, I would have to load a book with all those diacritics to check
Old 10-09-2009, 05:14 AM   #15
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
http://pocketbook.com.ua/index.php?id=342
The big orange button says "order device now"

There is also "where to buy" page here
http://pocketbook.com.ua/index.php?id=229

Our member Forkosigan sells them at the moment in Germany.
Our member Yar-PocketBooker will sell them in USA. See http://www.pocketbookreader.com/

There is also Israeli company selling PB360 http://www.pocketbook.co.il <--- English speaking site

The PocketBook 360 might be on sale in Metro Cash & Carry in your country before Christmas. In some countries Metro Cash & Carry is also called Macro. http://www.metro-cc.com/servlet/PB/m..._l2/index.html

On Pocketbook page http://pocketbook.com.ua/index.php?id=229 there is link to their partner Metro Cash & Carry Ukraine. So I have sent email to Metro in my country asking for info. They replied that I will most probably find PocketBook 360 in a Christmas brochure.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote