Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #61
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippocratesnoah View Post
The readme means a copy (backup) of the files to the root level of the kindle device. The modified version of the framework.mario.conf files resides in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/. There I would need to copy the original file. And I don't know how to accomplish this. The partition with this file is hidden and can't be directly accessed.
If you have the original framework.mario.conf file ; copy it on the Kindle USB disk.

Then install usbnetwork hack 0.7
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/usbnetwork-0.7.tar.gz

Once install; create the file "AUTO" in the usbnetwork folder ; then reboot
Telnet to the kindle (default IP is 192.168.2.2). I assume you know how to enable networking on your kindle, provided you've installed usbnetwork in the past.

Once logged in your Kindle ; type the following:
# mntroot rw
# cp /mnt/us/framework.mario.conf /opt/amazon/ebook/config/
# mntroot ro

Then install Firmware 2.3 once again
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #62
oldlady682
oldlady682 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
The DX differs from the K2, in that the screen saver directory is no longer a variable that's specified in the framework config, but has been hardcoded. We worked around it by doing a simple symlink to the USB partition as discussed in another thread. Instructions are below, basically the same as the K2 hack, so I hope someone else will re-write them since I'm an awful writer.

Again, the thanks for this all go to igorsk, porkupan, and sirbruce (for bravely risking his brand new DX and doing all the work). Oh, and apologies to JSWolf for continuing to use the phrase "screen saver."

Code:
==============================================================================
WARNING: Use at your own risk!  This is an UNOFFICIAL update to allow custom
Kindle DX Screen Savers.  This file is NOT from Amazon.com and any harm it
causes your Kindle2 will be your own fault.
==============================================================================

Instructions for use:
---------------------
1) Plug your Kindle DX into your computer.
2) Copy "update_DX_screensaverhack-install.bin" to the root of your Kindle DX.
3) Optional Steps:
  3a) Change directories to the "system" folder.
  3b) Create a new folder called "screen_saver"
  3c) Place any 824x1200 PNG image files into the system\screen_saver folder
      that you just created.
6) Unplug your Kindle DX.
7) Press the "Menu" button on your Kindle DX and select "Settings."
8) At the Settings page press "Menu" again and select "Update Your Kindle."
9) When the "update" is done your Kindle DX will reboot and you are done.

If you choose not to do step 3, the system will create the system\screen_saver
folder for you and place the default screen savers in it.  You can then remove
or replace these, or mix them with your own -- it's up to you.

To go back to the default Kindle DX screen savers:
--------------------------------------------------
1) Plug your Kindle DX into your computer.
2) Copy "update_DX_screensaverhack-uninstall.bin" to the root of your
   Kindle DX.
3) Unplug your Kindle DX.
4) Press the "Menu" button on your Kindle DX and select "Settings."
5) At the Settings page press "Menu" again and select "Update Your Kindle."
6) When the "update" is done your Kindle DX will reboot and you are done.

More Information:
-----------------
You can change images at any time, but you must reset your kindle for them to
appear (press and hold the slider for 15 seconds).  If there are no images 
then a blank screen will be shown when you go into sleep mode.

As with the K2, JPG/PNG/GIF files all work -- From sirbruce: "...you can use
JPG, PNG, GIF, any size, although obviously 824x1200 works best. Smaller
images are anchored in the upper left corner."

If you would like to restore the original screen savers without removing the
hack, simply delete the screen_saver folder and reset your kindle, and the
folder will be recreated with the original images in it.

Any official kindle DX updates that patch the file will fail (gracefully)
if this is installed (ie. 2.1 to 2.1.1).  Use the remove procedure,
to restore the default screen savers, then apply the official update, and
all will be well.

Many thanks to the MobileRead forum members: igorsk for doing everything,
porkupan for updating igorsk's update maker tool to work for the DX,
and sirbruce for doing all the legwork (this hack is mainly his doing).
Source code for the install script, uninstall script, and the init script are all in a tarball the zipfile.
When I plugged in the kindleDX to my computer, it showed 3 files - audible, documents and music. I copied the install .bin under these3 files. When I unplugged and went to update, nothing happened. I could not find the system\screen_saver. Obviously I did something wrong. Help.
oldlady682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #63
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You're trying to use a version of the hack that was created before the 2.3 firmware update. If your DX has been updated (home > menu > settings then look at the bottom right corner of the screen) you need to use the new version of the hack. See the link in my sig.

If your Kindle has not been update yet, you should do a manual update *before* installing the new hack (Kindles will not update with 3rd part hacks installed).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #64
oldlady682
oldlady682 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
My friend, I cannot thank you enough. Those old pictures, while nice, were really not what I wanted on my dx. Having the ability to put the pictures that I wanted is truly awesome. Thanks again.
oldlady682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:13 PM   #65
gameboy99
gameboy99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx B004...
Help! I installed the original DX screensaver many months ago. I want to update to the 2.5 version of the OS and EVERYTHING I have tried has failed. I have managed to run the unistaller successfully (after failing several times) by resetting to default and then re-installing the screensaver. But no matter what I do the updates always fail. I even tried to use the 2.3 update but that failed too. Does anyone have any ideas for getting back to square one so that I can do the update?

Thanks
gameboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 08:23 PM   #66
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Do you still have something added to the version on the bottom of the Settings page? (And is your SS hack somehow still active after the uninstall?)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #67
gameboy99

I'm reading Version: Kindle 2.1.1 (351050064)

The Screensaver is not working (or at least, the kindle default screens are coming up but there is still a screensaver folder in documents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Do you still have something added to the version on the bottom of the Settings page? (And is your SS hack somehow still active after the uninstall?)
Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #68
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Restart your Kindle, and try the 2.3 update first.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #69
gameboy99

that fails too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Restart your Kindle, and try the 2.3 update first.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #70
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Take a look at the file created (in your documents folder) by typing

;dumpMessages

in the search box.

(Might be worth a shot to try a reset to factory defaults after backing up your documents... Not sure it can help (I actually don't remember what part of the FS it restores), but at least it can't hurt. And that's probably one of the first thing the Kindle CS would ask you to try.)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-25-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #71
gameboy99

Well, I finally found another post listing all of the possible hacks that I might have installed and it refreshed my memory. The culprit was the "Download PDF" hack - I uninstalled and everything worked out OK from there.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no such thing as a screensaver on an eink device. What you have is a slideshow. And one that's not very useful as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote