Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #16
Djehuty
Connoisseur
Djehuty began at the beginning.

Device: none
It may be possible, at the moment, to find a work-around that would enable me to buy Kindle books from Canada. But one has to wonder, is it really worth it? Not only that, but will it always work?

Amazon may decide that gift cards purchased in Canada cannot be used to buy Kindle books, and then I'm right back where they started. Or they may indeed track my IP, and deny it for that reason. Yes, in theory I could use an anonymous proxy server, but that seems like an incredibly risky way to make credit card purchases. Also, who's to say that Amazon won't block all such proxy servers?

Just think about what I'd have to do. I'd have to violate Amazon's stated policies, thus voiding my Kindle warranty and setting myself up to be banned from the Kindle service or Amazon as a whole. Some of this may very well be illegal, or at least in a grey area which might open me up to litigation. I'd have to maintain a U.S. address for a credit card, which would mean being dishonest with the credit card company -- really not a good idea -- as well as either imposing upon a friend or paying a stranger to forward my mail. I'd probably have to use a proxy server or anonymizer or what-have-you for Amazon purchases, which strikes me as an incredibly bad idea. If I decided not to use a credit card, I'd have to set up an additional, falsified Amazon account and a separate email address so that I could buy gift cards and email them to myself. And I'd have to go through this mess every time I want to buy an e-book.

Really, is there anything the Kindle does that's worth all that trouble?
Djehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I don't think so.

I don't believe it provides a significantly better reading experience than its competitors. It does have some unique features but if you aren't going to use them there's no reason to get a Kindle.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #18
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djehuty View Post
A brief list of my e-book needs: Good screen quality, reliability, good PDF support, Mobipocket support, able to use it in the US and Canada. Wireless, dictionary lookup, annotation, and so forth are nice but not necessary.
I think you should focus on what you need the device to do for you. Are you primarily interested in reading novels on it or something more graphic intense, such as engineering textbooks for example? That makes a big difference in what you pick. For textbooks, I'd almost certainly go with the iRex, but if you're reading mostly novels and such, the Sony or another smaller device that supports the formats you're most interested in will probably do fine for you.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 AM   #19
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
^^ Seconded, I live in Quebec and own the 505...I have yet to experiance any problems with PDF apart from a slight lag in page turning and all the other books I've read so far are pre-converted public domain books on mobileread. If all you wish to do is read non-technical books I would suggest the Sony. HTH
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
Djehuty
Connoisseur
Djehuty began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the advice and assistance, everyone. I've finally made up my mind. I'll be buying a Sony.
Djehuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #21
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djehuty View Post
Thanks for the advice and assistance, everyone. I've finally made up my mind. I'll be buying a Sony.
Let us know how you like it.
I've had mine since early February and use it daily.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote