Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
One worm, maybe two in the Apple? Does that a leaky core make or a leaky stock?

"Apple lost out to the sub-$200 mini-tablet range by pricing its own 7-inch iPad mini at a price premium. The Cupertino, Calif.-based technology giant has not broken down the figures, but analysts still believe the mini-tablet has failed to take off. If Apple takes the same approach with a fully-fledged 'smart TV,' it may not revitalize the wider technology market."

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnets-tech-pre...0009130/#photo
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
They started to crumble when Jobs died. I just wasn't expecting it to move so quickly.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I was very disappointed to find that they used a less than state-of-the-art screen on the mini. I think Jobs would have slapped someone for that.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
There are no facts in that "article", only vague claims of "analysts", sources? From what I've seen Apple moved a ton of ipad minis, poor price and screen be darned.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

look at next
Old 12-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
There are no facts in that "article", only vague claims of "analysts", sources? From what I've seen Apple moved a ton of ipad minis, poor price and screen be darned.
So, you are also an "analyst" or do you work in a store or at a loading dock?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Just curious ... Do you have any actual figures? Apple gave some figures for the first week of sales, but they were mixed in with sales of the iPad 4. So one couldn't tell what was what.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
"From what I've seen" meaning I've seen them out of stock in all stores where I live and online. I'm not posting factual data, nor did I ever make that claim. I'm just saying that observation and common sense contradict the assertion in the article.

I'm highlighting dishonest, misleading journalism. The author claims that the iPads undersold, but there are no hard numbers nor no comparison to how it should have sold. It's just a bunch of hooey. It's easy to find an article asserting the exact opposite, e.g. http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-mini-sales-2012-12

Just because some of you personally don't like Apple doesn't magically make the Ipad Mini a dud. I personally don't like the poor choices for screen and hardware, but most people don't seem to care.

And while I'm at it the OP's quote is out of context, the article is not about the Ipad Mini, it's about whether Apple will innovate enough to convince people to buy an overpriced tv with the apple logo. Their speculation on the Mini is only meant as a supporting statement to bolster the argument.

These kind of fluff articles are largely meaningless and are quickly forgotten once we know more about the tech (in this case the apple tv). This has happened again and again. Don't take it as gospel that the Mini isn't doing well.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Mini is out of stock at Best Buy for example in my area because they do not get any to sell in the first place. And I check frequently with a number of stores in my area, cannot comment obviously about other regions but Apple forums pretty much say stock at stores is nonexistent as well.

Use your own judgment about the stock I suppose. The price usually reflects the future so the ipad 4 and mini may be factored in previously but I guess now it is wait and see about a mini2 and ipad5 and anything else. Andriod is eating Apple's lunch, right?

The mini may be taking some sales away from the ipad4. I do not recall an ipad's price being lowered so soon even for BF like the 4 was.

Last edited by robertc88; 12-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I can say from experience in buying one that the mini was indeed hard to find and out of stock in many places (of course, depending on the version one wanted...there's different GBs, different colours and different wifi/3G).

I do know that when I got mine some weeks ago, it said over two weeks before delivery (perhaps because of strong demand versus production but who knows). So instead I tried to find it at a store by using the online locator at the Apple site. I was only looking for the one store I could go to, but it showed the 20 closest and they all showed as sold out.

I thought I'd call just to make sure and lucky that I did. I called at almost closing time and the store said they'd got a shipment in that day that wasn't showing up online yet and they still had a few left, I think it was two. They told me the online site would update at a certain time, and that if I wanted to secure it, I could wait til the site updated the inventory, and if they weren't sold out before then, then order it online to pick up at the store.

So that's what I tried. At the appointed time, sure enough the site updated and they were in stock, so I ordered and paid. Then out of curiosity I tried again to see if any were still available, and the store already said sold out again, heh. So it looks like I got about the last one. And not only that store, but again it showed me all 20 of the closest stores (heh, well "closest" is relative, they were pretty far away) and all 20 again were sold out.

The next day I went in and picked mine up by reservation, and all was well. Also, I had tried the Best Buy and they were sold out as well. Keep in mind I was only looking for the one I wanted - white, 16GB, wifi only - but from my experience a few weeks ago, they were definitely popular and selling well, at that time anyway.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Agreed. Most analysts don't really know what they are talking about.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #12
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. Most analysts don't really know what they are talking about.
On that I will agree, but on the other hand then we might have to disregard the analysts that are positive on the matter as well.

Secondly, I do expect that there was a pent up demand for a smaller iPad though many now touting how wonderful they are, were in the past dismissive of the smaller sizes. Quite a reversal.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post

Secondly, I do expect that there was a pent up demand for a smaller iPad though many now touting how wonderful they are, were in the past dismissive of the smaller sizes. Quite a reversal.
Like who?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:52 AM   #14
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Like who?
Well like Apple itself.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #15
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Well like Apple itself.
Good point, Happy.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote