Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #1486
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Strongly recommend Georgette Heyer.
oh, i prefer gay love stories can't go wrong with two men lovin' each other
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #1487
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Actually, I find you can't go wrong with two people loving each other.

As for Heyer- they work because they are fun and very well written. Not because they are love stories. (and I second the recommendation of you're in a reading lull. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #1488
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Actually, I find you can't go wrong with two people loving each other.

As for Heyer- they work because they are fun and very well written. Not because they are love stories. (and I second the recommendation of you're in a reading lull. )
Unless the other one turns out to be a lying cheater

But I'll give it a whirl if I decide to delve into the world of het love stories
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #1489
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey! I'm new to the world of ebooks and ereaders. I just bought my first ereader, a Kindle Paperwhite and I love it! As soon as I got hold of it, I went straight to the Kindle Store and purchased 'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell. I then kept browsing and ended up having 12 eBooks on my wish list already! I had Cloud Atlas on my list for a while now, but I rarely had the time to go to a bookstore and stand in line, so I love the fact that I can buy books from the comfort of my home. Anyway, I ticked it off my list. I decided I'll do the same with the other eBooks I want to get. When I finish this book, I'll go back to my eBooks wish list and choose and buy which one I want to read next, finish the book, tick it off, on to the next one and so on.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #1490
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I then kept browsing and ended up having 12 eBooks on my wish list already!
Welcome to the thread, Gazella20, but it seems to me that you've got your buying well under control.

Perhaps too under control! Do keep an eye out for special offers on your wishlist books. Sometimes it can save money in the long term if you buy books on your wishlist when they're on special offer, even if you're not ready to read them straight away.

Of course, says the chap with over 340 books in his TBR pile, it is possible to take that to excess.

OTOH, my per-book cost for the 134 books I've bought this year so far is $2.25.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #1491
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Welcome to the thread, Gazella20, but it seems to me that you've got your buying well under control.

Perhaps too under control!
You're right but I'm just beginning and I'm very positive this will change, though I don't want it to and I'll try really hard to stick with my plan. I mean there are so many good books that I can easily get with just a click

Quote:
Do keep an eye out for special offers on your wishlist books. Sometimes it can save money in the long term if you buy books on your wishlist when they're on special offer, even if you're not ready to read them straight away.
I'll keep that in mind. Thank you!

Last edited by Gazella; 11-05-2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #1492
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
I've managed not to buy a singe book (electronic or paper) during October, reducing my TBR pile with 14 books!

Unfortunately, the first nine months of the year above-mentioned pile grew to a total of more than 400 books after I found a loophole in the acquired habit of only buying a new book when I finish one. I mean, finishing a book borrowed from a library also counts as finishing a book isn't it?

Anyway, I am about to crack and buy the new David Priestland, so I figured I'd better boast about my accomplishment before not having anything to boast about
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #1493
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No books at all in October? I am impressed. I did quite well in January (3), March (7), June (2) and July (2). It was the 15 in February, 15 in April, 10 in May, 52(!) in August, 12 in September and 10 in October that have really done-in my attempt to get below 300 this year.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #1494
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
No books at all in October? I am impressed. I did quite well in January (3), March (7), June (2) and July (2). It was the 15 in February, 15 in April, 10 in May, 52(!) in August, 12 in September and 10 in October that have really done-in my attempt to get below 300 this year.
August was a bad month for me as well (10+), September wasn't good either (8) as were May and June (at least 15 in total). July was quite good, I didn't have an internet connection for large part of it

52 is something I have never managed though -- the worst I've done was buying one of the complete Patrick O'Brian sets at once and a couple of others in a month, say 25 or 30.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #1495
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
52 is something I have never managed though -- the worst I've done was buying one of the complete Patrick O'Brian sets at once and a couple of others in a month, say 25 or 30.
It was a very good offer on Georgette Heyer's books. I knew (from recommendations and from reading one or two) that I would enjoy them, and it was too good to pass up.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #1496
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am afraid to count how many I buy a month.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #1497
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Out of curiosity, the books you finish reading, do you keep or remove them from your e-reader?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #1498
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Out of curiosity, the books you finish reading, do you keep or remove them from your e-reader?
I only keep my TBR list on my ebook reader. I have 1500+ that I've read and keep on my computer and an SD card. (And, of course, they are still (mostly) available from my accounts at ebook stores where I bought them.)
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #1499
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I generally keep my TBR plus a select few others on my eReader, since often I end up reading, watching, or listening to something that makes me want to read something NOT on my TBR. For example, I just started to read the second book in the Tanith Fairport series by Nathan Lowell and realized I'd completely lost the thread from the first book, so did a quick re-read of it. While I could always have connected up to my computer and transferred the book from Calibre, it was all made much easier by having it already on the reader in a different folder.

I haven't kept count of how many I buy each month. But the month of August, with the Heyer sale, was undoubtedly my worst.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #1500
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
It was a very good offer on Georgette Heyer's books. I knew (from recommendations and from reading one or two) that I would enjoy them, and it was too good to pass up.
I, too, bought a few from this sale. I am looking forward to next year where I will complete my collection of her books. I think that it is well worth the little addition that is added to our TBR lists. Good authors and good storytellers are worth it in my opinion!

See how I rationalize my addiction?!?

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote