Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvalle
Wow... he wrote more! Have you read them? Any good? I don't know... it would be weird to go back and read more. I've read the first 6 several times and it's kind of finished in my mind.
I've only read the first two books of the "Last Chronicles," and to be honest... no, I haven't been all that impressed so far. I'm going to wait until the series is complete and read it straight through instead of dilly-dallying around with 4-5 year installments. Ultimately, White Gold Wielder's ending was very solid (not to mention final) and this series should have stayed "complete."

Quote:
I read one of his other fantasy series... something with mirrors (checks Amazon...) "The Mirror of Her Dreams, the dazzling first volume of Mordant’s Need". He sure has a thing for complicated, flawed main characters. Very interesting magic system unlike any other I've seen.
Donaldson will never be accused of simple, straight-forward storylines. He seems to love convoluted (and politically motivated) plots. So do I, but Mordant's need didn't really make the "fantastic" cut on my personal rankings.

Quote:
I started his sci-fi series The Gap and that just got to weird for me.
The Gap Cycle is my favorite work by Donaldson and I consider it to be his finest writing to date. In fact, I wish he would have returned to hard sci-fi instead of resurrecting the Thomas Covenant series--that in my eyes, had already been put to bed, tucked in, and kissed lovingly on the forehead.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #32
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I have just finished First and Second Chronicles, all six in a row, and am taking a quick David Baldacci break before starting the Final Chronicles.

One thing I love about the Kindle is the in-built dictionary which means that I can actually lookup some of Donaldson's archaic English without having to carry around a large Oxford English Dictionary all of the time.

Ain't that the "sooth"?
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #33
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post
I have just finished First and Second Chronicles, all six in a row, and am taking a quick David Baldacci break before starting the Final Chronicles.

One thing I love about the Kindle is the in-built dictionary which means that I can actually lookup some of Donaldson's archaic English without having to carry around a large Oxford English Dictionary all of the time.

Ain't that the "sooth"?
Yeah, I like to take a break between authors sometimes. Makes the next books seem fresher and I can enjoy it more.

Let us know what you think about the Final Chronicles.

rv
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #34
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I like Dave Duncan-- particularly the King's Blades series but he's also written some other interesting stuff.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #35
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
I would like to suggest the following series by Tanith Lee:

The Wars of Vis
The Storm Lord (1976)
Anackire (1983)
The White Serpent (1988)

Tales From The Flat Earth
Night's Master (1978)
Death's Master (1979)
Delusion's Master (1981)
Delirium's Mistress (1986)
Night's Sorceries (1986) (collection of novellas set in this world)

The Secret Books of Paradys (set in an alternate version of Paris)
The Book of the Damned (1988)
The Book of the Beast (1988)
The Book of the Dead (1991) (collection of short stories set in this world)
The Book of the Mad (1993)
The Secret Books of Paradys (2007) (omnibus reprint of all four books)

If you want to read a great but sometimes forgotton and little mentioned Arabian Nights style fantasy I hardily suggest both Kaled by Francis Marion Crawford and The Shaving Of Shagpat by George Meridith. I think they are both outstanding books.

I also agree that the Covenant books are a great read. BTW I think his Gap books can be loosely classified as science-fantasy since they are based on Wagner's Ring Cycle. Agreements are disagreements on this point. Would like to hear what others think.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #36
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by philandjan View Post

Ain't that the "sooth"?
I read the first chronicles when I was in high school. I used to keep a piece of paper in the book on which I would write all the new vocabulary words. I'd look them all up once I finished. I think the new words were my main motivation for finishing the series, even as a teenager I could recognize bloat.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #37
richvalle
Connoisseur
richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.richvalle reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Nook Color
A series that reminded me of Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion books is David Weber's War God series.
richvalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #38
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richvalle View Post
Yeah, I like to take a break between authors sometimes. Makes the next books seem fresher and I can enjoy it more.

Let us know what you think about the Final Chronicles.

rv
First two instalments were quite good but I felt that the third one was starting to disappear up its own orifice! Too much philosophy and not enough action. Somehow you just know (or should know by now) that after 9 books, nothing is going to end suddenly.

However, the story is nicely paused waiting for the final book which is due out in Autumn 2013. I have told myself that I must remember where it left off and under no condition must I re-read the earlier books!
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #39
S Livingston
Connoisseur
S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!S Livingston is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Try Storm Constantine's Wraeththu novels.
S Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #40
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Michael Moorcock's fantasy books are amazingly imaginative. The "Elric" saga would be a good start Elric of Melniboné or Stormbringer. I enjoyed the "Swords" trilogy: The Knight of Swords, The Queen of Swords and The King of Swords.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #41
Kindle Worm
Enthusiast
Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Kindle Worm writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richvalle View Post
Ok... lets see what I can come up with. May have to stop and continue in another post... it's 80-ish outside and I have some home made icecream cooling in the freezer.

Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson. The first book takes a while to get going and there is a rough scene between the main character and a young girl in the first book as well (I know of at least one person that stopped reading at that point). It is also the best book I've seen that has an 'anti-hero' in it. But even with all that EVERYONE else in the book is so cool you just wish you could slap the main character around and take his place. 6 books in all divided into 2 trilogies.

Dragon riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. Good story. Bunch of different books the series now. My wife read the Dragondrum ones and liked them.

Black Company by Glen Cook. Not your typical fantasy series. Interesting premise and good characters. Bunch of books in the series with some one-offs as well (I think).

Diskworld books by Terry Pratchet. Some of my most favorite books of all time and I'm working my way though the series again in order. Funny, great characters. I liked the starting ones the least but you can see how he develops as a writer as you move along the books. Also great are his young adult books in the same world, the Tiffany Aching series. The Wee Free Men are one of the best 'characters' ever created. Crivens!

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Fiest. Another series with many, many books in it and he's still going. I've read the newest ones... and they are ok but the beginning ones are the best I think. You fall in love with the characters and follow them though the epic struggle. I mentioned this series already didn't I?

Gotta mention Lord of the Rings right? Probably not for everyone. The writing style is way different then most modern writers but you have to mention the one Trilogy to rule them all.

I like David Eddings's books but am a bit lost on where to start with them. I've read a few of them but have to google the series and see where to start.

Borderline fantasy... Belisarius series by Eric Flint & David Drake. A mix of history, fantasy and a mild amount of sci-fi. Fun because it takes place in a time period/location I didn't know much about... Late Roman empire and also involves India. Great battles. You can get the first 3 books from Baen's free library.

The Myth series by Robert Asprin. Light hearted and fun. Cool magic system, great characters. The series never really gets resolved and he might still be making a few books for it. Another one where the firsts books were the best.

Another series with a lot of books in it... the Dragonlance series. I can't say I read more then the first 10 or so (I just saw something saying there were now 190 books in the series!?) but they were good. Strongly based on D&D though.

Ok... time for icecream.

rv
All very good recommendations.

For the David Eddings books, I recommend starting with the Belgariad series. Pawn of Prophecy is the first book.

I'll also add Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings and Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series.
Kindle Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #42
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle Worm View Post
All very good recommendations.

For the David Eddings books, I recommend starting with the Belgariad series. Pawn of Prophecy is the first book.

I'll also add Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings and Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series.
I second The Way of Kings. I still haven't read WOT.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:19 PM   #43
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I recommend starting and ending with the Belgariad series.
While that series is highly enjoyable, the ones that follow are perfect examples of self-plagiarism. He basically changes the names and places and starts the Belgariad all over.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #44
Xachariah
Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Xachariah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Bebook
Abercombie, Joe - The First Law
Bakker, R. Scott - The Prince of Nothing
Brett, Peter V. - Demon Trilogy
Bujold, Lois McMaster - Chalion
Butcher, Jim - Codex Alera
Canavan, Trudy - The Black Magician Trilogy
Cashore, Kristin - Graceling
Cook, Glen - The Black Company
Duncan, Dave - The Kings Blades
Eddings, David - The Belgariad & The Mallorean
Erikson, Steven - The Malazan Book of the Fallen
Farland, David - The Runelords
Feist, Raymond E. - Riftwar Saga
Goodkind, Terry - Sword of Truth
Hobb, Robin - The Farseer Trilogy
Irvine, Ian - The View from the Mirror
Jemisin, N. K. - The Inheritance Trilogy
Jordan, Robert - The Wheel of Time
Kay, Guy Gavriel - Tigana
King, Stephen - The Dark Tower
Lloyd, Tom - The Twilight Reign
Lukyanenko, Sergei - Night Watch
Lynch, Scott - The Gentleman Bastard Sequence
Martin, George R. R. - A Song of Ice and Fire
Modesitt Jr, L. E. - The Corean Chronicles & The Saga of Recluse
Moon, Elizabeth - The Deed of Paksennarion
Pratchett, Terry - Discworld
Rothfuss, Patrick - Kingkiller
Sanderson, Brandon - Mistborn & The Stormlight Archives
Sapkowski, Andrzej - The Witcher
Scholes, Ken - The Psalms of Isaak
Sullivan, Michael J. - The Riyria Revelations
Tchaikovsky, Adrian - Shadows of the Apt
Weeks, Brent - The Night Angel Trilogy
William, Tad - Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
Wolfe, Gene - The Book of the New Sun
Zalanzy, Roger - The Chronicles of Amber

Those are my favorite fantasy series. The one that stands out for me is The Lies of Locke Lamora, Book One in the Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lynch. The rest are pretty sweet too.
Xachariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #45
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Recent series I have greatly enjoyed:

R Scott Bakker - The Prince Of Nothing
Chris Wooding - The Braided Path

FWIW, Xachariah's list above is excellent IMO.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote