Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
All you need to know is where MobiDeDRM originated.
That particular blog is still active and generating many new conversion tools that don't necessarily have anything to do with DRM but have to do with reverse engineering ebook formats like ereader and pml. Persistence and careful reading of the web search results can be very productive.
Thank yew. I am familiar with the blog.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #17
Eilishididn't
Keep it simple
Eilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone, Nook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that you mustn't ask for help in removing DRM. It's against the MobileRead site policy to either ask for, or to provide, such help.

Thanks for your consideration.
grumble, gripe, grouse under breath.
Eilishididn't is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 05:20 AM   #18
Eilishididn't
Keep it simple
Eilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enoughEilishididn't will become famous soon enough

When I started reading ebooks nearly a decade ago I didn't know anything about DRM. I am now the sorry owner of around 600 bought-and-paid-for ebooks in Mobi DRM. What in Sam hill am I supposed to read them on now that my nearly new Cybook bit it and Bookeen won't replace it even with the extended warranty? Or do I just need to learn to use Calibre? This mobidedrm thing.... I read the instructions and got cross-eyed and sleepy in about 5.

Is that too much for one post?

Last edited by Eilishididn't; 12-16-2009 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Incoherency.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilishididn't View Post
What in Sam hill am I supposed to read them on now that my nearly new Cybook bit it and Bookeen won't replace it even with the extended warranty? Or do I just need to learn to use Calibre? This mobidedrm thing.... I read the instructions and got cross-eyed and sleepy in about 5.

Is that too much for one post?
Options:
1- Buy a Hanlin V3 ebook reader (say the Astak) and install the Mobi-DRM capable firmware

2- There is a GUI front-end package available for the MobiDRM remover floating around. If you found the removal tool, you'll be able to find the ebookutility. It reportedly does batch removals. (No personal experience.)

3- Except for Sony and nook, pretty much all ebook reader gadgets handle DRM-free Mobi pretty well, Kindle included.

4- Calibre is a very nice conversion tool but it can be tricky in places; it has a learning curve and is in constant update mode.

It really comes down to time and money; do you want to throw time or money at the problem?

Its early in the age of ebooks; we're all pioneers.
(And you know what they say of pioneers...)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #20
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I bought my EZ Reader Basic specifically because it supported DRMed Mobipocket (I didn't have a lot of ebooks before I got my reader, but the ones I had - probably 20-30 - were DRMed Mobi). Within weeks after I received it (first firmware update) they dropped the DRMed Mobi support and switched to ePUB. I managed to figure out MobideDRM, and it did what I needed it to do, but for someone with fairly minimal (and long ago) command line experience, it was a pain. I stumbled across the ebookutility package a couple of months ago, and it's wonderful! I purchase almost all of my books from Fictionwise, and even though they are now starting to carry DRMed ePUB I'll probably continue buy in Mobi when I can, just because the "liberation" of the books is so easy!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #21
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Is there a way for a user to put together a firmware package that includes their user-defined preferences? So they can choose exactly what mobi reader they want, what epub reader they want, they can chose between adobe pdf and foxit, they can add whatever drm readers they want.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Is there a way for a user to put together a firmware package that includes their user-defined preferences? So they can choose exactly what mobi reader they want, what epub reader they want, they can chose between adobe pdf and foxit, they can add whatever drm readers they want.
Try this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=62273&page=2. Are you a programmer? Can you rebuild a unix file system by hand? There does seem to be some help in that thread about substituting versions but it is only for the V3 so far.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #23
Eilishididn't
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I bought my EZ Reader Basic specifically because it supported DRMed Mobipocket (I didn't have a lot of ebooks before I got my reader, but the ones I had - probably 20-30 - were DRMed Mobi). Within weeks after I received it (first firmware update) they dropped the DRMed Mobi support and switched to ePUB. I managed to figure out MobideDRM, and it did what I needed it to do, but for someone with fairly minimal (and long ago) command line experience, it was a pain. I stumbled across the ebookutility package a couple of months ago, and it's wonderful! I purchase almost all of my books from Fictionwise, and even though they are now starting to carry DRMed ePUB I'll probably continue buy in Mobi when I can, just because the "liberation" of the books is so easy!
KarenH - you are the person I need to talk to! I actually did tech support for DOS for my company, oh-so-long-ago. The instructions for the mobidedrum drove me nuts. I can't afford another reader - and just learned that my best friend bought me a Kindle for Christmas when I griped to her.

So now I am lost in an entirely new direction.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:04 AM   #24
Tom2112
Tablet eReader
Tom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, iPad, Dell Streak 7, Moto RAZR MAXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilishididn't View Post
I actually did tech support for DOS for my company, oh-so-long-ago. The instructions for the mobidedrum drove me nuts.
You're not kidding. The directions for mobidedrm are pathetic. I'm a network administrator and I have over 20 years experience supporting computer systems. I'm no stranger to command lines, and I even write small programs on occasion. And still I had trouble getting mobidedrm to work. I think the biggest problem is that it is against the forum's policy to post actual directions. So you're left searching the internet and reading about everyone else's problems trying to figure out what is what.

What a nightmare.

I'm thankful that I found eBookUtility. Once Python is installed and working, eBookUtility makes the whole process very simple.
Tom2112 is offline   Reply With Quote