Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Got a 700 to eval, plus my chat w/Sony about 700, firmware, etc.

Thought I'd give this thing a try. Seems nice. Yes, the screen is a bit diffused but the light helps where the ambient lighting is dark and I love the search functions (including a "go to page" capability). Still playing around with it. The form factor is pleasant, too. My other ebook reader is an EZReader (Hanlin V3).

Here is a chat I had with Sony just now, asking two simple questions:

Status: Analyst Alan_ is here and your issue status is: working Problem: Two quick, easy questions for you. End Session user Michael has entered room

analyst Alan_ has entered room

Alan_> Hi Michael. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I am Alan. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Alan_> Thanks for waiting, Michael. I will be glad to assist you in providing the information.

Michael> Okay I have two questions for you. I bought a PRS700 today. First question: I have read about a "PRS700BC". What is the difference between the PRS700 and the PRS700BC?

analyst Alan_ has been temporarily disconnected. Please wait while the analyst attempts to reconnect.

(a couple minutes go by...)

We are experiencing higher than usual service times. Please wait and an analyst will be with you shortly.

analyst Alan_ has entered room

Alan_> Please stay online while I check this information for you.

Michael> ok

(a few minutes later...)

Alan_> I'm still checking. Thanks for your patience.

(a few minutes later...)

Alan_> This may take a while longer. Thanks for waiting

(more minutes later...then I just gave up...)

Michael> I'm thinking that the two are one and the same. Perhaps the "PRS-700BC" is Sony's "official" model number while the rest of the consumer world simply refers to it as the "PRS-700"

Alan_> Thanks for the information.

(Boy, am I glad I got to chat with someone who really knows what's going on!)

Michael> I'll have one more, final question for you.

Alan_> Sure, please go ahead.

Michael> The current firmware version reported by my PRS-700 is: 1.0.00.10060 Is there or will there be an updated firmware I could apply?

Alan_> Michael, I have checked the information and there is no Firmware Update for the Reader. However, there is Adobe Digital Editions Installer and eBook Library Software for the Sony Reader (New Version) for the Reader.

Michael> Got those. Okay. Does Sony expect to develop a firmware update for this reader any time in the foreseeable future?

Alan_> Once the Firmware Update is available, it will be posted on our Sony website.

(Of course...careful not to mention any kind of date...)

Michael> okay. So they ARE working on something then? I can understand nobody wants to blurb a date.

Alan_> Yes, Michael. As the technology advances, the Reader will be upgraded with the technology.

(Boy, that's a generic answer if I ever read one!)

Michael> okay. I just thought of one more question. Is Sony working on a new EReader model?

Alan_> Yes, Michael. Sony is working on new Readers and it will be released in the market soon.

(Decided I didn't want to push this guy for a date. I have a pizza in the oven waiting for me and I haven't had dinner yet...)

Michael> okay. Thanks. That's all.

Alan_> You're welcome.

Alan_> Good-bye and thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
You're a brave man! I salute you!

Thankfully, I haven't had any serious issues with my 700 yet and any questions I did have, people here at MR were only to happy to help me.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Wow! That was time well spent!

Just in case you really need the answer to your first question...
(Is suspect you already know the answer) the BC stands for black color, which at the present time is the only color the PRS-700 comes in. You'll see those additional letters behind the name of the PRS-505, as they come in 3 different colors.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the PRS-700! I love mine!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
mtnmedic
Enthusiast
mtnmedic has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 64GB WiFi + 3G, Astak EZ Reader
Yeah, count me as one of the few, the proud...the Sony PRS-700 owners. LOL Got mine as an open box buy at Fry's for $332. I also have an EZReader I got earlier for $239 (after $30 rebate). But so far I'm finding the 700 to be a better reader in some ways. Sure, the screen contrast isn't as good as the EZReader's but it's certainly readable. I doesn't fare well in low-light situations but the built-in lighting helps. I haven't had the chance to check it out in broad daylight but I will tomorrow while out on the deck in my hammock. But so far the horrible screen glare some reviews have complained about hasn't been so for me. I like the feel of it; certainly slimmer and lighter. I love the search function and the "go to page" capability. Haven't figured out the note-taking or highlighting, yet. Page turning with the finger swiping is cool as a second method (especially if I'm holding it in one hand...found that a short thumb swipe works). The auto power off is nice, too. I like the interface. Oh yeah, one big thing I like about it vs. the EZReader: a better grayscale range. The images in my manuals look really nice compared to as shown in the EZReader.

For some reason it doesn't see .lit files but I assume they're not supported (?). Perhaps I'll have to convert.

Is anyone using calibre with the 700? If so I'd like to see what they have to say about it.

Right now my only real issue is figuring out the whole bit with the Sony ebook library software, how to create collections and sort out my material, a lot of which is PDF. The one nice thing about the EZReader is it has folder support. MY SD card contains my materials in a way I've organised them (my medical guides in one folder, computer repair books in another, etc.). When I popped the card into the 700, everything in those folders were just put into one big list and a bunch of the stuff ended up displaying wrong title/author/book referencing.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.
mtnmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmedic View Post
Yeah, count me as one of the few, the proud...the Sony PRS-700 owners. LOL Got mine as an open box buy at Fry's for $332. I also have an EZReader I got earlier for $239 (after $30 rebate). But so far I'm finding the 700 to be a better reader in some ways. Sure, the screen contrast isn't as good as the EZReader's but it's certainly readable. I doesn't fare well in low-light situations but the built-in lighting helps. I haven't had the chance to check it out in broad daylight but I will tomorrow while out on the deck in my hammock. But so far the horrible screen glare some reviews have complained about hasn't been so for me. I like the feel of it; certainly slimmer and lighter. I love the search function and the "go to page" capability. Haven't figured out the note-taking or highlighting, yet. Page turning with the finger swiping is cool as a second method (especially if I'm holding it in one hand...found that a short thumb swipe works). The auto power off is nice, too. I like the interface. Oh yeah, one big thing I like about it vs. the EZReader: a better grayscale range. The images in my manuals look really nice compared to as shown in the EZReader.

For some reason it doesn't see .lit files but I assume they're not supported (?). Perhaps I'll have to convert.

Is anyone using calibre with the 700? If so I'd like to see what they have to say about it.

Right now my only real issue is figuring out the whole bit with the Sony ebook library software, how to create collections and sort out my material, a lot of which is PDF. The one nice thing about the EZReader is it has folder support. MY SD card contains my materials in a way I've organised them (my medical guides in one folder, computer repair books in another, etc.). When I popped the card into the 700, everything in those folders were just put into one big list and a bunch of the stuff ended up displaying wrong title/author/book referencing.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.
.lit is not supported. You will need to convert using convertlit gui. If you google it to find the software.

Calibre is great. It will create collections for you based on the tags you enter. I use it to convert DRMless files to lrf (of course, you can use pdf files, etc., I just happen to like lrf). It will also recognize your reader and you can upload to the reader directly from Calibre. I don't because I like to create bookmarks with annotations which Calibre does not support yet. I import my lrf files to Ebook Library from Calibre, make my notes, and then upload to my reader or SD card from EL. I DO NOT use the EL Sync option, because everytime I have, it has made a mess of my notes and ebooks.

If you have more questions, you might find answers in the Calibre forum or the 700 forum, maybe in the 505 forum. Many of us Sony owners have different ways of doing things, so you would find a lot of options there.

Good luck and let us know if you need other assistance.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert