Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #16
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Yep, intent + 0.5em space. It is a balm for my soul
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Yep, intent + 0.5em space. It is a balm for my soul
.5em is .5em too much space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 11:07 AM   #18
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I hate the spaces between paragraphs. Especially if it's a conversation like this.

"Hello how are you."

"I'm fine how are you."

"Good."

Ugh...it's annoying. I find I read a lot slower when a book is like that. Not to mention it's a waste of space on an already small screen. All hail indents!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #19
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Thanks for the tips. Pretty depressing that the Kobo doesn't handle this better (and that they chose to make the extended stats unavailable for sideloaded books; plus the fact that for most sideloaded books the cover is no longer displayed correctly).

As to people's preference for spacing between paragraphs, I don't get that either. Is that something they hate about paper books too then? I mainly read fiction. It may be different for some text books or manuals, but no spacing between paragraphs has pretty much been the norm, and no doubt my preference is based simply on being used to that -- but my preference is strong. It's something I've always hated about html: that spaces between paragraphs are pretty much the default, and you have to put in extra effort if you want your html pages to look more like printed text (with indented paragraphs that don't have spaces between them).
A text where all the paragraphs have spaces between them looks a little too much like a children's book to me.
For another thing, having spaces between all paragraphs obliterates the *actual* white lines a writer chose to put in his text.
Not to mention reading dialogues...
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #20
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Indent + spacing is the way I set mine up. Does KoReader preserve this type of spacing, Ken? I know Cool Reader does not.
KoReader lets you turn the embedded style "on" or "off". It also lets you "set render style" which gives you a list of .css to choose from, as well as "clear all external styles" and "Auto". The actual .css files are in a folder and you can add your own or copy and modify an existing one. These are, of course, applied on top of what the book has, with the latest normally taking precedence (unless the earlier is defined as having a higher precedence).

There are also defaults you can set for the reader that include line spacing and margins. Paragraphs have to be defined in the coding of the book file, or by an applied .css file.

Luck;
Ken

Might help.
This too.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-12-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #21
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I prefer no spacing because that's the way paper books are so that's what I'm used to. I have never seen any paper book have spacing between paragraphs, not once.

Spacing between paragraphs is required on forums because none of them are set up to auto-indent. I've seen a few public domain ebooks like that and I hate reading them, I have to edit them to no space between paragraphs and indented.

I really wonder how anyone got used to spacing between paragraphs unless they have only been brought up on ebooks and not paper books at all?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #22
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It looks, to me, like there is a space/blank line between the paragraphs of all your posts, and they are readable. None of them have indents, not even JSWolf's.

Luck;
Ken
Are you saying that JSWolf vomits out his posts?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #23
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I really wonder how anyone got used to spacing between paragraphs unless they have only been brought up on ebooks and not paper books at all?
Its interesting how that works - I've been a big reader since I was a kid, read paper books for years, yet one of the first things I did when I started reading ebooks was get rid of all of the indents and switch to spacing between paragraphs. The text is too dense for me, otherwise, and I like that the start of every line is in exactly the same spot, I find it less distracting that way. Then again, I do set the line spacing for paragraphs at 0.9em, to more closely mimic paper books - the extra white space between lines within paragraphs drives me nuts

But this is the great thing about ebooks - with a little bit of time, I can have each book displayed exactly how I like, as can everyone else.
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #24
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
It's interesting to me to see all the different styles people prefer when reading on a screen vs reading on paper. For me, it's 0.1em between paragraphs, plus 1em indent.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I prefer no spacing because that's the way paper books are so that's what I'm used to. I have never seen any paper book have spacing between paragraphs, not once.

Spacing between paragraphs is required on forums because none of them are set up to auto-indent. I've seen a few public domain ebooks like that and I hate reading them, I have to edit them to no space between paragraphs and indented.
I'm with you on the indent and no spacing and I'm sure it is related to past experience. But...

I very often start reading the kepub version of books I have bought from Kobo. If the formatting bugs me, then I fix it in the epub and read that. While doing this, I realised that for short paragraphs, the spacing aids comprehension. I think that for a paragraph of about four or five lines, I could see the whole thing in one go and absorb it. Once the paragraph got longer, it didn't help. For single lines of dialog, it doesn't seem to help either.

I'm sticking with indent and no spacing, but, I'm not in as much of a hurry to reformat books that use spacing now.

Quote:
I think blame it on the web. I don't think early browsers support indenting, or at least not easily. And I think people now consider it the style for the web.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:03 PM   #26
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
There's a simple enough reason for that: it would increase the amount of paper required for printing, sometimes by a significant amount. This is not a concern for ereaders.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
It's interesting to me to see all the different styles people prefer when reading on a screen vs reading on paper. For me, it's 0.1em between paragraphs, plus 1em indent.
I've never tried a .1em paragraph space. I'll give it a try and see how readable it is.

For an indent, I like 1.2em. That's not too small or too big. I've seen many an eBook use an indent of 5%. Mostly Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #28
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I prefer zero paragraph spacing and 1.0 - 1.5em indent. I don't mind a one line space between paragraphs and zero indent, as long as the scene breaks are done in a style that isn't obscured by the paragraph spacing. Many publishers use a 1em margin to indicate a scene break, but since margins overlap it is then impossible to distinguish a scene break from a paragraph break.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #29
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I prefer zero paragraph spacing and 1.0 - 1.5em indent. I don't mind a one line space between paragraphs and zero indent, as long as the scene breaks are done in a style that isn't obscured by the paragraph spacing. Many publishers use a 1em margin to indicate a scene break, but since margins overlap it is then impossible to distinguish a scene break from a paragraph break.
I almost always make scene breaks 2em to differentiate them from blockquotes (where I use a 1em top and 1em bottom space). It's getting to the point where I want all my ebooks formatted the same way, which is something I never thought about in paper books. I think it has something to do with the uniformity of the ereader versus the variety of printed books. My ereader never changes its physical dimensions, its cover, the color of the "paper" (screen), the color of the text, its weight or anything else, whereas printed books have a variety of designs, sizes, covers, paper textures, etc. So I'm guessing that when I read on my ereader, I expect to have the same basic experience I had last time I used it, but in a printed book, I expect a different experience based on physical differences. Weird.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:06 PM   #30
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Surely the integrity of the authors style and intent should be retained irrespective of the medium used to read.

Like music, does one preserve the integrity of the artists intent or does one remix the content when "duplicating" the music?.

Last edited by leftright; 01-12-2015 at 10:31 PM.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote