Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan
Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: SONY Touch PRS-650, Nook HD, Kobo H2O Kobo Aura ONE LE
Can Calibre Companion Download books from Nook to Calibre?

i'm currently using Calibre Sync with my nook HD, but i don't like that when i connect calibre cannot see the books already stored on my nook.

i lost my old computer and the old calibre library. all i have left of it is currently sitting on my nook HD and i would like to put them back into calibre for a proper backup (especially since i might have to take my nook back because of the edges coming apart and issues coming out of sleep mode).

so my question is, can i bring books in my nook's memory over to Calibre on my mac using Calibre Companion?
Rika24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika24 View Post
so my question is, can i bring books in my nook's memory over to Calibre on my mac using Calibre Companion?
The answer is "a definitive maybe".

The answer is yes if:
  • your nook can run CC. Since you have an HD I think the answer is yes.
  • Your books are in a known folder somewhere on your nook. They can be in a subfolder of that folder, but they should not be in the root.
  • If you want quality metadata, your books should be epubs.
  • Your books are not DRM infested.

If all the above are true, then to do what you want you would:
  • Install CC
  • Use CC's folder setup to tell CC where the books are. See CC's FAQ for how to do this.
  • Also using CC's folder setup, tell CC what kind of books you have. You probably won't need to change anything because epub and PDF are on by default, but you might if you use things like CBZ (comic books).
  • Install calibre on your new computer. Start calibre.
  • Ask CC to connect as a wireless device to your new computer.
At this point CC will scan the folder (and subfolders) you gave it above, find any book files, and send that information to calibre. They will appear in calibre's device view. You select the books, right-click, and choose "Add books to library". Once the add is done, you can disconnect CC and start the possibly long process of correcting the metadata in your newly-populated calibre library. At times of your choosing, reconnect CC so it will get the updated metadata.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Once you connect the device to Calibre through CC, it behaves just as it would if you connected it via USB; you can see your books and add the ones on device but not in the library to Calibre. So yes. However expect metadata loss.

....And I see chaley already answered while I left this tab open before answering. Oops.

Last edited by Sefiriot; 09-27-2013 at 07:03 AM. Reason: ninja'd by the CC maestro himself
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
Rika24
Fanfiction Fan
Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rika24 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: SONY Touch PRS-650, Nook HD, Kobo H2O Kobo Aura ONE LE
honestly, i don't know where the books are stored on my nook. all i know is that when i had my PC i just plugged my nook HD in and used send to main.

and these are all DRM free books btw
Rika24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:44 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rika24 View Post
honestly, i don't know where the books are stored on my nook. all i know is that when i had my PC i just plugged my nook HD in and used send to main.
You will need to find them. How you do that depends on what tools are available to you.

- If your computer can "see" the nook, then perhaps you can explore the nook's memory to find where the books are. I suggest looking for folders like ebooks or books.

- You can install a free file manager app on the nook and use it to find the books.

Once you find them, you point CC at that folder and you should be off and running.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I recall, B&N does not allow access to books purchased from them over a USB connection.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre comanion, nook hd, sync